Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How is it possible for some of you to get all that mileage on your Spyder

I guess I'm not a long distance bike rider & when I travel long distance I use my SUV to carry suitcases & stuff. Some of you average 15 K miles/yr. Snow & rain doesn't bother you? I'm either envious or very content with my distance riding--I hope old age isn't my problem although the last 2 yrs have given me my share of health problems--broken low right rib paralyzed my right lung diaphragm, prostrate cancer, back fusion surgery. If I'd have know I'd be living to age 74 this march I'd have taken better care of myself. Skydiving accidents, downhill snow ski racing, land speed racing motorcycle crash at 170 mph. I'm thinkin I'm tough to kill, but 15K Spyder mi per year seems excessive. Don't you have other transportation??
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't worry, and just ryde your won ryde...
    Less worry in your life, will help you live longer!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default TUNDRA vs SPYD3R

i bought a brand new TOYOTA TUNDRA MAX CAB 5.7 in Mar. 2007... best 4 wheeled vehicle i've ever owned, (and i've owned everything from Corvettes to Lincolns, trucks & tractors)... i still have my TUNDRA, and it has 49,000+ miles of smiles on it.... still an AWESOME vehicle...

in Feb 2015, i purchased my brand new CAN AM SPYD3R F3-S... i currently have 45,000 miles of serious SMILES on her...

what can i say...? i much prefer riding than driving... 2 X-country rides, and 2 rides to Canada, and i ride 12 months per year, and have NO ISSUES with riding 500 - 700 miles per day... sometimes 14 hrs in the saddle... and i'm knocking on 70 in March...

for your enjoyment, ride the way you feel comfortable... don't try to please anyone else - otherwise you'll be very disappointed and the enjoyment is GONE.... personally, i would NEVER consider putting my F3 on a trailer and towing her someplace, but if that's what you need to do, then so be it.... just enjoy your investment, and don't listen to anyone else's directives, it's your ride & your life, live it your way....

ride safely....
    Dan P
    SPYDER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    I guess I'm not a long distance bike rider & when I travel long distance I use my SUV to carry suitcases & stuff. Some of you average 15 K miles/yr. Snow & rain doesn't bother you? I'm either envious or very content with my distance riding--I hope old age isn't my problem although the last 2 yrs have given me my share of health problems--broken low right rib paralyzed my right lung diaphragm, prostrate cancer, back fusion surgery. If I'd have know I'd be living to age 74 this march I'd have taken better care of myself. Skydiving accidents, downhill snow ski racing, land speed racing motorcycle crash at 170 mph. I'm thinkin I'm tough to kill, but 15K Spyder mi per year seems excessive. Don't you have other transportation??
    Darrell
    Not to worry my friend, it only gets worse with age. At 78 (come April 7th) I am not about to cave in. We "seniors " don't need all those Spyder miles. It is not the amount of miles one rides but the enjoyment of the miles one rides. I rode for years with a gung ho guy that bragged about how many miles he rode each day and each trip. He was only obsessed with that. He was so focused on that I do not think he ever enjoyed riding. For me it is the "spiritual" part of the ride I enjoy most. Nothing to do with religion. Some will know what I am talking about, some will not.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Miles and or Smiles

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Not to worry my friend, it only gets worse with age. At 78 (come April 7th) I am not about to cave in. We "seniors " don't need all those Spyder miles. It is not the amount of miles one rides but the enjoyment of the miles one rides. I rode for years with a gung ho guy that bragged about how many miles he rode each day and each trip. He was only obsessed with that. He was so focused on that I do not think he ever enjoyed riding. For me it is the "spiritual" part of the ride I enjoy most. Nothing to do with religion. Some will know what I am talking about, some will not.

​Jack
    " I agree 110 % " .......I trailer to most long distance events ...not because I have to, but because it makes more sense to me....... My truck is set up for sleeping ( comfortably ) on the road. So on the interstates I can pull in at a rest stop - sleep until I wake up and then continue..... when I arrive I'm rested and can Really enjoy the local riding area, I'm not interested in buying stuff..... I want to enjoy the people and riding .... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default at 85 plus

I've riding on two wheels all by life excluding graduate school and few years of marriage. My wife dos not ride--my health as tuned me to three wheels. Still owned California Moto Gussi, retired to son-in-law. I ride for the pure joy----Got a 2012RTLtd and now is being updated to my desires this winter by me---miles over the rages short to many miles per trip all enjoy or the love of freedom

Spyder Garage

Default One more for your own ryde...

I'm into my seventies and Ryde wherever I want to go. If I can't Ryde it there it does go there. It truly is a therapeutic unit and whenever I've had a long day or week , stressful moments etc I just fire her up and Ryde off . Do have a lot of miles but not an objective just enjoyment.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Also with jaherbst. "It is not the amount of miles one rides but the enjoyment of the miles one rides."

I have good years and bad years. The fact that I can ride, is what matters to me.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-25-2018 at 09:21 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just ride what you like, as many miles as you like. Last year for my 60th birthday I rode from Las Vegas NV to Lake George, NY for Spyderquest alone. It was all about the journey and sightseeing. It was 7,300 miles of smiles. Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Arizona. The memories are great.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am 80 years old and last year was least miles I rode for several years. I put 12,000 miles on my 2015 Gold Wing F6B and 7,200 miles on my 2015 Spyder the first 4 months I had it.. Total of 19,200 miles. Last year I had some health issues so I did not get my usually long trips. I always try to make one trip to Colorado, Sturgis Rally and in September I have been going to El Paso, Texas but I did not get any of these trips last year. That would have been another 5,500 miles. That would have been about 25,000 miles and that is what I usually ride. I am in hopes I get more riding this year if my health holds out.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

I have 25,000 miles on my F3-S that I have owned for 2 years. I have ridden to Utah, South Dakota, Quebec, southern Louisiana and all points in between. I just turned 66 last month and will ride as long as I am healthy. If it makes more sense to tow your Spyder to where you want to ride, then don’t let what anyone else does or says bother you. As long as you have the wind in your face and enjoy the ride it makes no difference how many miles you ride in a year.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wallburl View Post
    I've riding on two wheels all by life excluding graduate school and few years of marriage. My wife dos not ride--my health as tuned me to three wheels. Still owned California Moto Gussi, retired to son-in-law. I ride for the pure joy----Got a 2012RTLtd and now is being updated to my desires this winter by me---miles over the rages short to many miles per trip all enjoy or the love of freedom
    We are both pretty fortunate to be able to continue riding like we do at our age. I am 80 and hope I can be riding in another 5 years. I really enjoy it and I ride a lot of 500 mile days and camp which I don't know how much longer I can do that. My wife does not ride anymore either. I sure enjoy my Spyder.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Living down south helps with higher milage...

Yup, I was in the 'never tow my Spyder' mentality, till crap hit the fan.

Hubby and I, and me solo put a many miles on my Phantom, mostly 300 mile days. Good memories and many miles, I used to be a high miler...

Do what you gotta do to keep yourself happy, and make not apologies.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Good thread. Causes me to reflect back on previous rides and look forward to the future. I'm in my 70s and am one of those who does ride 15K each year. Just because I can and want to. Not to try to set any mileage goals. It just "happens". But, my location allows me to get out almost any time and when it's hot in the summer, we usually take a 5-6K tour up north.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree with what everyone has said. Be true to yourself and live your life to the fullest you are able. Enjoy every mile.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Just ride what and where you like.

For us, once we bought our 2017 RT-S in July of 2016, we found out about the NorCal rally. We live in middle lower B.C., and decided to make a trip out of going to the rally, so rode through Washington state, Idaho, Nevada, and made it all the way down to San hose California and back to B.C. on an 18 day ride. We both loved it, and met some absolutely fabulous people at the NorCal rally.

So we decided to go back to the NorCal again last year (and this year too). Last year, we decided that we would head down as far the Grand canyon. My wife had never been there. So, we actually went further south than that, about 1.5 hours south of Flagstaff.

Those two trips, as well as several other weekend, and a 10 day trip to Prince Rupert has put over 22,000kms on the bike in just 2 riding seasons. I can only ride april till oct. due to weather here.

I know I am glad to read on other posts here about the high miles some people have put on their bikes, cause I plan on doing a lot more riding in the coming years, and was a little concern that i may hit the 100,000kms mark in no time.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Quality not quantity

Don't worry about the actual number of miles. You could rack up lots of miles commuting on the slab day in day out in places like LA. But compare that to running the 11 miles twisties at Tail of the Dragon or up PCH for lunch. I'd rather spend a weekend having fun than running errands on the Spyder. So relax and have fun, the odometer is only useful in watching your oil change intervals.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

15,000 miles a year -that’s for amateurs! I ride over 30,000 miles per year and I have done that almost every year since I started riding Spyders in 2010. The first two years we lived in snow country and the bikes were parked for the winter. My new bike is not quite 7 months old and I turned 16,000 miles on it this weekend and next weekend will be another 1,000 mile trip then we get into serious traveling with trips of 3,000 to 5,000 miles at least once a month between March and October.

Joe and I have one car that we lease, 3 years 36,000 miles, we never go over on mileage on the car.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default I ride becuse I can.

When I was very young I rode a 10 speed 2500 miles a year. I'd wear out 2 sets of tires.
    But I got a paper route and needed something with a motor, at least that's what I told mom.
    I was 12. I've ridden over a million miles on 2, now 3 wheels. I rode motorcycles then but not
    all that much. I bought a Moto Guzzi V11EV in 2004. That bike fit me well and I rode 38,800
    the first year. That was a record for me. My health forced me to retire in 2008. I bought my 2014
    RT-S new in '14. I ride this machine all the time. It's because it's the only time I'm comfortable.
    It fits me perfectly. Does everything I want in a bike.
    What do you do when a young child is cranky and won't sleep? Take it for a ride in the car. It's
    the motion that settles. Probably the best way I can describe it for me. I like the motion. Settles me.
    I'm the youngest of 4 sons, 3 of which ride. Oldest brother, Ken rode a 1972 Honda 750 that I sold
    to him. He rode that bike to all 48 lower states in 25 years, he turned the odometer over 3 times.
    I asked him several times. why? He said it fit him perfectly. Said the bike had a soul. He liked the motion.
    That bike now sits in the AMA museum in Pickerington Ohio. It's not on display but if you ask, you can see it.
    I love to ryde. I ryde like there's no tomorrow. Because one fall might end my ryding forever.
    It's what I do.
    Buckeye Chuck 54

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

​Jack
    Now there's a good comment right there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    15,000 miles a year -that’s for amateurs! I ride over 30,000 miles per year and I have done that almost every year since I started riding Spyders in 2010. The first two years we lived in snow country and the bikes were parked for the winter. My new bike is not quite 7 months old and I turned 16,000 miles on it this weekend and next weekend will be another 1,000 mile trip then we get into serious traveling with trips of 3,000 to 5,000 miles at least once a month between March and October.

Joe and I have one car that we lease, 3 years 36,000 miles, we never go over on mileage on the car.
    Impressive mileage to be sure. You say "we" I'm guessing you have 'two' Spyders, otherwise I sense a packing problem with those long miles?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Don't worry about the actual number of miles. You could rack up lots of miles commuting on the slab day in day out in places like LA. But compare that to running the 11 miles twisties at Tail of the Dragon or up PCH for lunch. I'd rather spend a weekend having fun than running errands on the Spyder. So relax and have fun, the odometer is only useful in watching your oil change intervals.
    It's not the miles: it's the Smiles...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spider Smile Miles

Like many others have said Enjoy the SPYDER. The time and miles are yours to choose. Good Luck
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

​Jack
    I agree, it's not the destination, it's the journey!
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Hey Everyone, I've been reading the responses to this thread and see everyone with the same response. I agree totally with everyone's comments and agree with the spiritual side of riding. My business can be stressful at times and as long as there isn't salt on the roads, I am riding. It keeps me in touch with my God and helps me reflect on the bigger picture of life. It keeps me grounded i guess. So I don't ride for mileage sake but I am surprised at how fast the miles add up when one rides daily. I purchased my RTL end of July last year and have 6K on her already with no trips. The miles climb quickly. In closing, ride your ride for your enjoyment and don't worry about miles. This isn't a contest after all. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black