Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    Great job on your product development! Huge congratulations to your team.

Joe
    Thanks Joe!

Spyder Garage

If you plan on getting a laser alignment make sure you get that done before installing the Glo Ryders. They have to be completely removed including the inner mounting ring in order to mount the laser alignment equipment. I haven't put mine back on yet after I had the alignment and now may wait for the new version. I love the Glo Ryders but didn't like changing the batteries . The new self generating version is a great idea.
    Last edited by Y Rider; 02-26-2018 at 09:01 AM.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GloRyder View Post
    We have that on our GR1 version that is controlled by vibration.

Problem is when you have too many on/off switches it is very hard to troubleshoot what is working and what is not, so short answer is if you want that option you need the GR1 version with AA batteries. If you want the new generator version it is only available in the app.

Had those, they were great for about the first 6 months. After the batteries died the first time and replaced them it seems one or the other did not work about every other time I rode the bike. Always a problem. Finally got tired of futzing with them all the time, gave up and took them off. Just not interested in something else I have to 'play with' every time I want to ride. they need to just work like everything else on the bike.

Its not a parking lot trick show, its a motorcycle.

Seems basic 'light up when starting and driving, turn off when not' would have been a basic function of the design. Its clear it was more intended for the parking lot shows than bikes that are ridden. Just like the first gen units I and so many others gave up on. Very disappointing that all this redesign work went into a product and you still do not understand your customers. I have had this conversation with a good number of my customers that feel the same. They need to just work, not add frustration.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    If you plan on getting a laser alignment make sure you get that done before installing the Glo Ryders. They have to be completely removed including the inner mounting ring in order to mount the laser alignment equipment. I haven't put mine back on yet after I had the alignment and now may wait for the new version. I love the Glo Ryders but didn't like changing the batteries . The new self generating version is a great idea.
    Good point Y ryder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Had those, they were great for about the first 6 months. After the batteries died the first time and replaced them it seems one or the other did not work about every other time I rode the bike. Always a problem. Finally got tired of futzing with them all the time, gave up and took them off. Just not interested in something else I have to 'play with' every time I want to ride. they need to just work like everything else on the bike.

Seems basic 'light up when starting and driving, turn off when not' would have been a basic function of the design. Its clear it was more intended for the parking lot shows than bikes that are ridden. Just like the first gen units I and so many others gave up on. Very disappointing that all this redesign work went into a product and you still do not understand your customers. I have had this conversation with a good number of my customers that feel the same. They need to just work, not add frustration.
    I understand, actually the biggest problem we had was the battery design required the customer to regularly handle the circuit board. It resulted in a lot of failures. For example imagine having to grab the circuit board out of your phone once a month to change the battery, it is not going to end well for your phone or any electronic product for that matter. However, at the time it was the only technology that would work in the 2" space we have to play with.

The new generator mounting design allows the customer to "set it and forget it", as there is no touching the circuit board (PCB) anymore. And even if it does become necessary to charge the battery it is now able to be removed without touching the PCB.

On the switching, as we mentioned, we cant have too many on/off sources as we need to be able to talk customers through support and it creates too many variables. Having had experience with many thousands of customers, the ability to turn it on/off as needed was a huge request as there are many states and countries that have stricter laws on lighting and the customers want to be able to quickly turn them off.

There will always be a compromise in developing a product, we have to take the path that serves the majority. Having said that there is always a mod for anything, that is what I end up doing when I want something the way I want it. Just ask Phil Burke!
    Last edited by GloRyder; 02-27-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

I understand, actually the biggest problem we had was the battery design required the customer to regularly handle the circuit board. It resulted in a lot of failures. For example imagine having to grab the circuit board out of your phone once a month to change the battery, it is not going to end well for your phone or any electronic product for that matter. However, at the time it was the only technology that would work in the 2" space we have to play with.

The new generator mounting design allows the customer to "set it and forget it", as there is no touching the circuit board (PCB) anymore. And even if it does become necessary to charge the battery it is now able to be removed without touching the PCB.

On the switching, as we mentioned, we cant have too many on/off sources as we need to be able to talk customers through support and it creates too many variables. Having had experience with many thousands of customers, the ability to turn it on/off as needed was a huge request as there are many states and countries that have stricter laws on lighting and the customers want to be able to quickly turn them off.

There will always be a compromise in developing a product, we have to take the path that serves the majority. Having said that there is always a mod for anything, that is what I end up doing when I want something the way I want it. Just ask Phil Burke!

Perhaps a stupid question but might be the answer... What if one just left them on. Period. The battery will eventually discharge and they turn off. Will they just light up again when the bike gets going and the generator spins? Is this too simple of a solution? I must be overlooking something here.

And apologies for sounding so negative on the new product. If you can't tell I am actually trying to figure out a way to use these, I really did like the ones I had when they worked.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 02-27-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I dont have a smart phone. Does it come with another way to select the light colors? Also would be nice if you offered black for people with black wheels.
    Hmmm....blacklight wheel lights...might work!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default RELEASE DATE

???

Spyder Garage

I've pre-ordered the replacement ones, somewhere, either on here or on their website I read July 2018

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Default DAYUM....

I pre-ordered also.

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    I've pre-ordered the replacement ones, somewhere, either on here or on their website I read July 2018

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

I did preorder a set of these. I also thought they would automatically turn on when the bike started moving since the circuit board has a generator on it and would know when the bike was moving. So I am with jcthorne on this one, there should be an option for them to turn on when the bike starts moving and off after a set amount of time.

I can see how this is not an issue for a cage driver who has the phone within arms reach. Most of us Spyder riders have our phone in the rear trunk connected to the bikes sound system. It will be a PIA to have to open the trunk, unplug the phone, remove it from the case, and turn them on and off. I have no intention of parking somewhere and giving the general population a light show. Purchased them just to provide added visibility to the bike. This is a case where the old fob would have been better for us. We could keep the fob Velcro'd in the glove box and operate as necessary.

Is the firmware upgradable on the circuit board?
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Perhaps a stupid question but might be the answer... What if one just left them on. Period. The battery will eventually discharge and they turn off. Will they just light up again when the bike gets going and the generator spins? Is this too simple of a solution? I must be overlooking something here.

And apologies for sounding so negative on the new product. If you can't tell I am actually trying to figure out a way to use these, I really did like the ones I had when they worked.
    No problem, we are consumers too and like to get it right before we purchase, so ask away.

In another comment I went into the dead battery scenario, here's the skinny. On a straight dead battery we have smart technology that allows the lights to run off the generator once the vehicle gets over 35 mph, over 35mph the generator shunts power and starts charging the battery. So you should always have lights as long as you are moving.
    Alternatively in the video you can see that little Li-on battery pops right out so we will provide a wall charger that can be used to re-charge the battery. That is what I would do if I had a dead bat to begin with, it only takes about an hour.

Hope this helps

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WIDOWSSON View Post
    ???
    Scheduled to arrive in our warehouse in USA July 2018

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCruiser View Post
    I did preorder a set of these. I also thought they would automatically turn on when the bike started moving since the circuit board has a generator on it and would know when the bike was moving. So I am with jcthorne on this one, there should be an option for them to turn on when the bike starts moving and off after a set amount of time.

I can see how this is not an issue for a cage driver who has the phone within arms reach. Most of us Spyder riders have our phone in the rear trunk connected to the bikes sound system. It will be a PIA to have to open the trunk, unplug the phone, remove it from the case, and turn them on and off. I have no intention of parking somewhere and giving the general population a light show. Purchased them just to provide added visibility to the bike. This is a case where the old fob would have been better for us. We could keep the fob Velcro'd in the glove box and operate as necessary.

Is the firmware upgradable on the circuit board?
    Describing your needs I can see where this would be desired over the phone app. I will check with our mfg and see what it would take to do that but I imagine it might require a separate purchase order for key fob version only so really there would have to be enough demand to do a separate circuit board run. Would be interesting to do a poll on that.

Spyder Garage

Describing your needs I can see where this would be desired over the phone app. I will check with our mfg and see what it would take to do that but I imagine it might require a separate purchase order for key fob version only so really there would have to be enough demand to do a separate circuit board run. Would be interesting to do a poll on that.
    I too would want to option to just have it work when rolling. Honestly, that is what I thought I pre ordered. In my case, I don't have a phone, and so will not be turning them on and off.

So, my question is:
    1) if I take the battery and pre charge it up, how long will it last? I get that it will be charging back up as I ride. But will last over night??
    2) will the lights turn off after not moving for a set amount of time as the ones I have now do?
    3) do I have to re-set the colors etc. everytime I want to ride?

Ray

Edit: I guess I thought this was a set and forget upgrade.
    Last edited by bcer960; 02-28-2018 at 06:08 PM.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I dont have a smart phone. Does it come with another way to select the light colors? Also would be nice if you offered black for people with black wheels.
    Look or ask around. If you're willing to learn the ins and outs of the phone you can probably find an older one that will run the app for nothing or next to it. You don't have to have a cell service contact to use a smartphone for non-phone applications. And, in fact, any smartphone can call 911 even when you don't have a cell contract. Great for emergencies.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Look or ask around. If you're willing to learn the ins and outs of the phone you can probably find an older one that will run the app for nothing or next to it. You don't have to have a cell service contact to use a smartphone for non-phone applications. And, in fact, any smartphone can call 911 even when you don't have a cell contract. Great for emergencies.
    My wife has one, I would use it to set the ryders up. But after that I was hoping they would stay set.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Default THANKS

Scheduled to arrive in our warehouse in USA July 2018

Spyder Garage

Well, at least its obvious that I am not the only one that thinks these bike lights should just work when you go to ride the bike rather than being fiddled with via a phone app each time you get on or off the bike.

Still would like an answer to this:

If I leave them turned on until the battery dies, upon driving the bike again do they auto restart as soon as the bike is moving (35mph?) or do they have to be turned on again via the phone app each time? Do they return to the color they were displaying prior to running out of power?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Well, at least its obvious that I am not the only one that thinks these bike lights should just work when you go to ride the bike rather than being fiddled with via a phone app each time you get on or off the bike.

If I leave them turned on until the battery dies, upon driving the bike again do they auto restart as soon as the bike is moving (35mph?) or do they have to be turned on again via the phone app each time? Do they return to the color they were displaying prior to running out of power?
    These are all the questions I want to know as well......

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    I too would want to option to just have it work when rolling. Honestly, that is what I thought I pre ordered. In my case, I don't have a phone, and so will not be turning them on and off.

So, my question is:
    1) if I take the battery and pre charge it up, how long will it last? I get that it will be charging back up as I ride. But will last over night??
    2) will the lights turn off after not moving for a set amount of time as the ones I have now do?
    3) do I have to re-set the colors etc. everytime I want to ride?

Ray

Edit: I guess I thought this was a set and forget upgrade.
    On
    1. Currently if you took it off the bike and did not use it in tandem with the generator the battery should last approximately 12 hours. Much longer of course if you use it in tandem with the generator which of course you will so that's really a meaningless number. We are also looking into a larger battery.
    2. If you are referring to the one color model with no remote control no it will not.
    3. You should not

Spyder Garage

Yes they restart when 35 mph is achieved.
    No if the battery dies you need to re-link and start over.

Spyder Garage

Yes they restart when 35 mph is achieved.
    No if the battery dies you need to re-link and start over.
    I do not understand. Those two statements seem polar opposites of each other.

If they are allowed to run until the battery dies, will they restart on their own at 35mph? If yes, what exactly do they do when reaching 35?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I do not understand. Those two statements seem polar opposites of each other.

If they are allowed to run until the battery dies, will they restart on their own at 35mph? If yes, what exactly do they do when reaching 35?
    Not really,
    IOW it they will run off the generator when they get to 35 mph, but it is not an automatic operation.
    After 35 once the electrical circuit is engaged then you can then turn them on.

Sounds like what you looking for is a Dynamo, rather than the generator. That simple mechanism would just power the light as it comes up to speed and when slowing down it would fade away. No way to run all of our features like that. In order to allow the use of a remote control and color changing features a battery, and thereby, a battery charger is needed.
    Last edited by GloRyder; 03-08-2018 at 11:35 AM.