Thread: Tire Question

Spyder Garage

Default Tire Question

Hello everyone, I know everyone is going to say OH NO here we go again another tire topic. I am new to the spyder world I just purchased my first spyder in the middle of last summer a 2015 RT Limited. My question is what is the big difference between a stock rear tire vs a car tire. I do not know what the difference is that I would look for. I am learning lots from this forum for sure.
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Price, longevity, performance, and quality.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by Rookiespyder View Post
    Hello everyone, I know everyone is going to say OH NO here we go again another tire topic. I am new to the spyder world I just purchased my first spyder in the middle of last summer a 2015 RT Limited. My question is what is the big difference between a stock rear tire vs a car tire. I do not know what the difference is that I would look for. I am learning lots from this forum for sure.
    Thanks
    . I have posted lots about this subject ....check my " started Threads " ..... but the short answer is the OEM Kenda is weak and is well known to have a high % of " Defective " tires, not just my opinion this has been posted many times here ............ Any brand car tire is stronger because it's made to be , comparably speaking they have far fewer defective tires, not all dealers will put them on, especially the rear........if you take your FRONT wheels/tires to just about any car tire shop they can put car tires AND spin balance them ....... I just reported on Michelin adding a new version of their " Defender " model to their line-up ....... it has excellent ratings for wet-dry performance .....it is called the Defender T & H model in 205/60-15 size ..............good luck ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Oh boy..!!

You asked for it... now you will find out. . wait for it.....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Tire

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    . I have posted lots about this subject ....check my " started Threads " ..... but the short answer is the OEM Kenda is weak and is well known to have a high % of " Defective " tires, not just my opinion this has been posted many times here ............ Any brand car tire is stronger because it's made to be , comparably speaking they have far fewer defective tires, not all dealers will put them on, especially the rear........if you take your FRONT wheels/tires to just about any car tire shop they can put car tires AND spin balance them ....... I just reported on Michelin adding a new version of their " Defender " model to their line-up ....... it has excellent ratings for wet-dry performance .....it is called the Defender T & H model in 205/60-15 size ..............good luck ...... Mike
    I did see your post for the Defender T&H rear tire what tires do you recommend for the fronts. Thanks

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires

This is always a HOT Topic. But as expressed above The Stock Tires are very poor in every sense of Quality. (MY 2). Search the FORUM, in the search Box. There will be TONS of TIPS.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default KENDA

KENDA should change their name to KANTDA....
    i'd rather ride on the rim than their tires....
    there are an untold amount of really good 'car' tires that you can choose from... my requirement is that the tire is symmetric about the center-line... i feel that a singular tire in the rear that isn't symmetric, will have a tendency to wonder to one side dependant on its configuration... but hey, each to their own choice.... i'm NO authority on tires, just an opinion is all i can give...

I'm on my 5th 'car' tire with NO ill effects... currently running the Michelin HYDRO-EDGE, but have had 4 of the KUMHO AST's... i find the Mich to have a longer life for a few dollar$ more...
    truly, you need to plug in TIRES in the search box and read read read.....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Pictures are worth a 1000 words!rim profile comparison mc to car.jpg

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Front tires

I did see your post for the Defender T&H rear tire what tires do you recommend for the fronts. Thanks
    , In my testing, Ultimate traction is not as critical as the REAR tire needs to be. I had tried Super sticky Toyo Proxes T1r's for my front tires. They produced " G " forces so high , the Nanny ( VSS computer ) was being triggered so often I was actually cornering slower than on my previous set of tires. Some folks here CLAIM that Smooth driving in turns will prevent the VSS from kicking in, sorry that is NOT logical. At some point ( speed wise ) your Spyder is going to EXCEED the " G " force limit that is in the computer and the NANNY will do Her thing to keep you from sliding off the road........... so get CAR tires that will fit with the front fenders ( it's more of a fender bracket type than the actual fenders themselves ) ..... and although the Kenda isn't even a good tire because of it's poor construction , if properly balanced will give good service life, and decent handling ....... So bottom line is , Since I don't do much research for front tires I don't actually have a favorite ....currently I'm using 175/65-15 Altimax tires on the front of my RT with basic fenders......... but I have corrected the fender bracket issue to accept this size tire ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-25-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    Never apologize for asking questions. That's what we're here for after all. This forum is an excellent resource and the people are great.

Spyder Garage

Others will have many suggestions for the tires. One thing to bear in mind is that some dealers (CanAM) will refuse to mount car tires for you. My dealer is a Kenda or nothing dealer and the next closest dealer is 1500 miles away.

Not being mechanical--I have to let someone else do it. Not willing to trust a tire jockey do the rear tires on my 's. To many things to possibly mess up.

That said, I consistently get 15,000 miles from the rear and 25,000 miles on the fronts. I am NOT an aggressive driver. The stats cover 5 Spyders and 140,000 miles of road driving.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red