Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ar-15

Spyder Garage

There has been good, fairly reasonable, conversations on this subject, and some of the "fixes" are viable. I think some of the fixes were brought up in the 90's and in the early 2000's, but the gov. dropped the ball on these proposals that most of us are talking about right now and it is up to us to make sure our elected officials do the right thing and we keep our Constitution as is and respect what it stands for, we need to have open discussions such as this. Hopefully society will be better off for it. Nothing like a little "brain storming" to get to the bottom of things, no matter how high our blood pressure rises. Mac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    My issue with the NRA is they are unwilling to accept any restrictions on gun ownership. Any.
    It was in 1993 when the NRA tried to pass legislation on stricter background checks for felons and mental defective individuals and if a felon applied to purchase a gun, he was charged with another felony and prosecuted. Mac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Yah, I know. I wish they could publicly see that not all people should be able to legally own a firearm. Just as many states will not issue a CCW to felons, ect. Serious back round checks are the norm for a CCW. In many states an 18 year-old cannot purchase a pistol----- but can purchase a rifle. Makes no sense.
    It's the extremists on both sides of the argument who hog the headlines and control the politicians. The VAST majority of Americans are not extremists and just want to see some reasonable limits on gun ownership. I think the police would like to see that, too.

One thing that hasn't been discussed is the impact this uncontrolled access to guns has had on law enforcement. The need for SWAT teams, and the increasing over-reaction of police to domestic situations I think is a direct result of the proliferation of guns in the hands of ordinary citizens. LEO's now have to assume the worst possible scenario when responding to a domestic violence situation because these very distraught people (temporarily deranged and not officially mentally ill) likely are armed and ready to end someone's life.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I guess I need to use Trump verbage so that my point is understood.

If you continue hanging around the bar where others are smoking you are "volunteering" for lung disease.

If you ride with a drinking driver you are "volunteering" to die when he/she eventually crashes into something.

When you attend elementary school, high school or a country western concert you in no way are "volunteering" to be shot.

See the difference?
    Thankfully I doubt I will ever see your point. I consider it extreme, not accurate and one sided. I also consider it not subject to fact or opinion other than yours.
    I'm now back to one on my ignore list.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is the kind of unnecessary and inflammatory rhetoric from the NRA that makes reasonable discussion almost impossible;

http://theweek.com/speedreads/756858...e-good-ratings
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hi Pete,

The police here in Reno recently shot and killed a person in a domestic situation----- that came at them with a knife. Sane,law abiding folks do exactly what the police/ sheriff say to do. Compliance has to be the norm in that situation. If the police are raiding a meth lab in the hinter lands of Nevada ( or Utah ) the SWAT team has to go in because the cookers are well armed ( often with guns purchased from other crooks who stole them from law abiding citizens.) A quality gun safe could solve many problems.
    Last edited by Lew L; 02-22-2018 at 02:09 PM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Regarding the AR15 and similar type guns. Would this gun still have the appeal that it has in its present configuration if we were to redesign it to be more like a true hunting rifle. For example, a fixed magazine of five rounds. Elimination of a flash suppressor. 22 inch minimum barrel length. Wood stock instead of light weight plastic.

It will still "shoot bullets". Accurately, too. It will still be well configured for hunting animals or "shooting steel".

Maybe not quite so good for hunting humans.

Regarding the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" argument. That's true. BUT, people with guns kill lots of people.

I don't advocate the banning of all guns. But there is no reason for civilians, many untrained, to have access to guns that are one small step removed from military grade weapons.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Since there has been a lot of speeches about "Banning the AR-15": let me add something to consider...

Even if you ban ALL firearms: you have done nothing to get rid of the evil intentions, that drive these acts...
    can't kill as many as quickly with a gun or knife. you won't stop the killing but you can lower the count.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Pete,

The police here in Reno recently shot and killed a person in a domestic situation----- that came at them with a knife. Sane,law abiding folks do exactly what the police/ sheriff say to do. Compliance has to be the norm in that situation. If the police are raiding a meth lab in the hinter lands of Nevada ( or Utah ) the SWAT team has to go in because the cookers are well armed ( often with guns purchased from other crooks who stole them from law abiding citizens.) A quality gun safe could solve many problems.
    I understand Lew. I just wanted to make the point that LEO would like to see some reduction in the lethality of domestic violence situations. These are ordinary, law-abiding citizens in most cases that are not on the radar for mental health problems and therefore have access to weapons, and now are temporarily in a state of mind where taking another life (including that of the LEO) seems reasonable.

It's a complex problem (the mix of inadequate mental health care and easy access to guns) that has no easy solution. But, we need to be able to talk about it without the extremists on both sides controlling the national conversation on the issue.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Would you like to wake up at 4:30 am, and hike 7 miles back into the woods (over a mountain: of course!); to sit for hours in sub-freezing temperatures?
    And when "Mr. Big" comes into view: try and control the shivering, your breathing, pick out the best spot for a clean shot, raise the rifle to your shoulder, hold it there for... forever... and THEN exercise proper trigger control, pick the right spot on the animal, and make the shot?
    That's just the start of the fun!
    Now: track it down (If it didn't drop on the spot: they rarely do!), tag it, field-dress it, hook a rope to itm, and start that 7 mile walk home?

I didn't think so...
    so camping is now a sport? then we should now give boyscouts ar-15's and a badge to go with it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Pete, The police here in Reno recently shot and killed a person in a domestic situation----- that came at them with a knife. Sane,law abiding folks do exactly what the police/ sheriff say to do. Compliance has to be the norm in that situation. If the police are raiding a meth lab in the hinter lands of Nevada ( or Utah ) the SWAT team has to go in because the cookers are well armed ( often with guns purchased from other crooks who stole them from law abiding citizens.) A quality gun safe could solve many problems.
    Lew, gun safes and gun locks are like seat belts; they only work if you use them 100% of the time. Unlike seat belts, their use isn't mandated or enforced in any way.

How about we have a federal law that says irresponsible gun owners will be charged as an accessory to any crime that is committed with a gun they own?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    I can hear "Chuck Shumer" in the back ground of this conversation. Mac
    chuck is a DICK

Spyder Garage

Lew, gun safes and gun locks are like seat belts; they only work if you use them 100% of the time. Unlike seat belts, their use isn't mandated or enforced in any way.

How about we have a federal law that says irresponsible gun owners will be charged as an accessory to any crime that is committed with a gun they own?
    we can have gun owners required to have liability insurance so if the gun is used by anyone (their kid, stolen, a crazy
    wife) someone will pay just like auto insurance. if you can't afford the insurance then you can't afford the gun.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    so camping is now a sport? then we should now give boyscouts ar-15's and a badge to go with it.
    They DO give them merit badges for camping... and for marksmanship!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

One suggestion I have is to ban sales at so-called "gun shows." Before anybody jumps on my case -- I own guns, I shoot them, and I patronize legitimate gun shops where they obey the law. Nor am I necessarily opposed to ownership of AR-15s.

My complaint is that of all the gun shows I've been to, their primary purpose is obviously not "showing" guns but selling them. There will be a few people who display rare and classic guns, but the vast majority of the floor space as I've observed his has been taken up with displays are about selling new stuff. Last time I went, one seller had about 40 or 50 brand new AR-15 style rifles boxed up on the floor next to his display, ready for sale, and he was far from the only one. Also, some places have "gun shows" just about every month, which only fuels my conclusion that they're not really about "showing" but more about "selling." Maybe the sellers comply with federal gun laws, but even if they do, it HAS to be a lot harder to keep track in that environment. Even if they do comply, these "shows" encourage people to buy guns who might not otherwise buy them. I am not against selling guns. I am only against using "gun shows" to sell them. If I were a gun shop owner, I think I'd want to clamp down on these "shows" as well. Why have an investment in brick-and-mortar and carefully comply with gun laws when others can operate out of "gun shows," avoid costs and possibly evade gun laws?
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Background checks are done at these shows also...

Spyder Garage

Red face

I use my gun safe 100% and the people I personally know who spend that extra $300 to $3,000 do keep ALL their weapons locked up unless they are wearing or using them. But I can't speak for the rest of the folks.

A federal law about irresponsible gun owners is a slippery slope to charging a manufacturer' with murder or manslaughter if a firearm is stolen from me and used in a homicide. Like charging GMC, Ford,or Chrysler for murder if a drunk kills someone with their truck.

Oh, BTW----- Nevada has a seat belt law and a helmet law too. And I don't mind either one. If the congress passed a law requiring locks or safes I really wouldn't mind----- but how would you enforce it.
    Last edited by Lew L; 02-22-2018 at 03:32 PM. Reason: speeling

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have to chime in with my 2 cents. My Misses had The View on this morning and they of course were discussing gun control. I said to her that they should have better controls on kitchen utensils because of people getting fat from misuse!

JMHO, gun control is only going to fix a small part of the problem. People are the much larger part of the problem.

Repercussions from using a gun to hurt someone could probably be changed so these problem people think twice before doing something.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The problem is that folks don't think about the consequences.
    But : they should be made tougher!

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In answer to the question of enforcing laws requiring guns to be securely locked up. If your gun is stolen and it wasn’t properly secured you would then be faced with the possibility of charges stemming from the theft due to your lack of exercising your responsibility as a firearm owner.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Default Just to stir the pot a bit more

The problem is that folks don't think about the consequences.
    But : they should be made tougher!

Just to stir the pot a bit more:

How do we all feel about the death penalty??????????

As there are literally thousands " gun laws" on the books now------- how about better enforcement of them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    In answer to the question of enforcing laws requiring guns to be securely locked up. If your gun is stolen and it wasn’t properly secured you would then be faced with the possibility of charges stemming from the theft due to your lack of exercising your responsibility as a firearm owner.
    Exactly, we already have LAWS and consequences in place for people to responsibly secure their weapons or if they don't. they pay a price for their negligence, even in my state. I responsibly lock mine up in a safe when not in use. Mac

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    how dangerous are vehicles.. check how many people died yesterday driving them.. no one is trying to ban vehicles.. why? aren't dangerous ?
    This doesn't even deserve an answer.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Doctors have lobbying power. The rest of us don't. Ditto any special interest. We're not going to get commonsense solutions to problems that benefit the population as a whole until we get special interest money out of politics. Bend over and spread wide 'cause it's never going to happen.
    Doctors ARE lobbied, just like Congress. I knew ethical drug salesmen for many years (yes, that is what they were called). The companies pay their salesmen to push certain, high profit, drugs and they tend to make claims for the drugs that are not always true. TV advertising also has had a big effect. If a drug is pushed hard in the media patients tend to ask for it when visiting the doctor and if he/she won't prescribe it he can lose that patient.

I am not saying the above happens with opioids but it is a definite fact with other drugs.

I do agree we need to eliminate special interest money from Congress.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Where have YOU been hiding?
    The lame-stream media has been working up a lather about banning the AR...
    Lots of interviews accusing the NRA of unspeakable horrors... lots of angry children who want to ban assault weapons (even though they have NO idea what that it!)... lots of emotions... but very few facts!

And what happened in the past has nothing to do with the evils of our time.
    (But that's for another thread...)
    Dredging up old NRA talking points does not add substance to the conversation.