Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: ar-15

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Mac!
    I've heard this report also...
    I'm not sure if it's been verified as true or not.
    Let's see where it ends up...

(My gut is telling me that it's just like a pair of eight year-olds standing in front of a broken window... They're pointing at each other , and yelling, "HE did it!" )
    Bob, I've had two situations in my life that I WAS the "dumb A#$" that ran right into the fire and my wife knows of both. One of which involved two people in a roll-over car accident ( vehicle had gas/ flames/smoke pouring out of it). Sooo, being the responding officer in that situation (knowing me, I probably would have lost my life or maybe not) could have been a bad thing (for the officer(s) or maybe there would have been less fatalities, more should have been done. We d/n know the training that the officers had or didn't have, we always fall back on our training, for me it was my military and sheriff's dept., but you are probably correct about "starring at one another" or "not me, you go!" scenario. I'm sure we are going to hear all the tapes/recordings after the investigation when it's completed and not any time before, so the media can't put their spin on it. We can speculate all we want. Mac
    Last edited by Mad Mac; 02-25-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    The NRA can either revert back to what it was during its first 100 years or it can see itself made irrelevant. Keeping people like La Pierre in the leadership will greatly speed its demise.
    Your ignorance about the NRA is actually starting to scare me now.
    You weren't at the 2010 Convention in Charlotte, N.C.
    I was...

Mr. LaPierre was instrumental in beating back an attempt by a more vocal and vitriolic group of members; who wanted the NRA to take a more hard-core stance, and resist any and ALL attempts at a negotiated solution.

Have you ever spoken with the man?
    I have...

"Responsible ownership of firearms" has always been his main goal. When these disasters happen: nobody wins.

And as far as the NRA NOT promoting Fun Safety. I taught the Eddie Eagle program at our local Elementary School for years: It's message to children:
    If you find a gun: "Stop! Don't Touch! Leave the area, and tell an Adult!"

https://eddieeagle.nra.org/

I take personal offense at your characterization: we worked hard for those kids. What have you EVER done for them?
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-25-2018 at 01:28 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

1. Arm teachers. Teachers are not first responders and most would not be able to take appropriate action against a shooter who, in most cases, is armed with much more fire power than a handgun. This would also put a teacher in the first line of fire in a shooter environment and virtually guarantee they would get shot right off the bat. Shooters are not stupid and would go after armed civilians first. This might have been reasonable thinking in the 50's where many teachers were WWII vets but that is not the case today.

Did you know that Texas not only allows their Teachers to be armed: they encourage it....
    Governor Scott was interviewed about this fact today on Neil Cavuto's show..
    They're certainly not forced to carry. It's 100% voluntary, and they are given the training to handle the task.
    I bet if the coach who stepped in front of the students was armed,the shooter would have been stopped right then. He could have shot quicker than moving in front of the kids...And had a better chance of seeing his family at the end of the day.
    Last edited by cyclelover63; 02-25-2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: added to it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default New poll out.

This is an excerpt from a USA Today poll published today. You can find the complete article in USA Today of course.

A new CNN poll released Sunday put Trump's approval rating at 35%, his lowest level in that survey.The USA TODAY/Suffolk Poll of 1,000 registered voters nationwide, taken Tuesday through Saturday, has a margin of error of plus or minus three percentage points.
    On guns, a nation that is often divided on issues is remarkably united:

• By almost 2-1, 61%-33%, they say tightening gun-control laws and background checks would prevent more mass shootings in the United States.
    • By more than 2-1, 63%-29%, they say semi-automatic weapons like the AR-15, used by the Florida shooter, should be banned.
    • By more than 6-1, 76%-12%, they say people who have been treated for mental illness should be banned from owning a firearm.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You HAVE to be careful with polls...
    I can make ANY poll come out exactly as I wish... you just need to know how to get the proper folks to talk to.
    We did studies in College about this:
    Same exact question to crowds in an indoor New Jersey Mall...

...One Month apart!
    We simply picked different people to ask, and our results came out exactly opposite!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like most people on your side of the debate you are either misinformed or illiterate.

https://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp

Snopes is known to not play fairly. They have liberal agenda, and they don't mind promoting it.

Give us a different source.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-25-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You HAVE to be careful with polls...
    I can make ANY poll come out exactly as I wish... you just need to know how to get the proper folks to talk to.
    Another "fake news" proponent bleats his disagreement. Conspiracies are everywhere!!! Grab yer tin hat!!!

In the media business credibility is everything. Once lost it is rarely achieved again. To what purpose would a national publication purposefully distort the finding of another pollster (who could immediately challenge the publication to support its own credibility)? The answer is, they don't or they would not be around long.

It has become commonplace for some people who disagree with polls to call "fake news" but we all know who the originator of that phrase is and he has a total lack of credibility.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Snopes is has shown to not play fairly. They have liberal agenda, and they don't mind promoting it.

This is also a well worn tactic of the "backed into a corner" groups. If "fake news" doesn't work for you then try to discredit the organization. Won't work Dude. No evidence that Snopes has an agenda or is not accurate.

As for providing a different source.....how about you spending your time researching this? I've already given you a credible source.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just give us another source: that's all that I asked.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It has become commonplace for some people who disagree with polls to call "fake news" but we all know who the originator of that phrase is and he has a total lack of credibility.
    Without knowing the methodology that they used: I'm always skeptical of polls...
    ...even the ones that I agree with.
    I KNOW how to trick them... and I've actually done it.

Spyder Garage

Another "fake news" proponent bleats his disagreement. Conspiracies are everywhere!!! Grab yer tin hat!!!

In the media business credibility is everything. Once lost it is rarely achieved again. To what purpose would a national publication purposefully distort the finding of another pollster (who could immediately challenge the publication to support its own credibility)? The answer is, they don't or they would not be around long.

Trust the polls, my friend

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b064e1b4b05ce5

or how bout media credibility

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb...erman-doctored

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    I bet if the coach who stepped in front of the students was armed,the shooter would have been stopped right then. He could have shot quicker than moving in front of the kids...And had a better chance of seeing his family at the end of the day.
    If's and but's were candy and nuts.......

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just give us another source: that's all that I asked.
    You would find a problem with any source I provided so, no, I will not produce another source.

You go find one and prove to the rest of us your statement was accurate. Good luck with that!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Without knowing the methodology that they used: I'm always skeptical of polls...
    ...even the ones that I agree with.
    I KNOW how to trick them... and I've actually done it.
    I'm pretty sure you haven't tricked a professional pollster.

Skeptical is always good. Fake news is a cop-out.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You always have to consider the timing of any individual poll. This one was taken several weeks before the election and at a time when various organizations, including the FBI, were doing the "did Hillary do it?" dance which most everyone says did affect the voting to some degree. If you look at all the polls taken during the election cycle you will find they are all over the place depending upon the hot story at that time. That does not mean the poll is inaccurate. It does mean that there is a vast difference between a poll and a news story which got it all wrong (ref: Harry Truman's 1948 election results).

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    You do understand the difference between a poll and a news story, right? And yet you pick a story from a right wing publication which has no public credibility to blast NBC's story from 2013? The problem here is that no one inside or outside of NBC was ever found to have altered the discourse between the news story and the source 911 dispatcher. It is possible for an individual to make such a change in the makeup of a story without it representing the corporate opinion of an entire news organization. People have been fired for much less and this, by itself, does not discredit the news industry in general or NBC specifically.

Spyder Garage

[/URL]You always have to consider the timing of any individual poll. This one was taken several weeks before the election and at a time when various organizations, including the FBI, were doing the "did Hillary do it?" dance which most everyone says did affect the voting to some degree. If you look at all the polls taken during the election cycle you will find they are all over the place depending upon the hot story at that time. That does not mean the poll is inaccurate. It does mean that there is a vast difference between a poll and a news story which got it all wrong (ref: Harry Truman's 1948 election results).

You do understand the difference between a poll and a news story, right? And yet you pick a story from a right wing publication which has no public credibility to blast NBC's story from 2013? The problem here is that no one inside or outside of NBC was ever found to have altered the discourse between the news story and the source 911 dispatcher. It is possible for an individual to make such a change in the makeup of a story without it representing the corporate opinion of an entire news organization. People have been fired for much less and this, by itself, does not discredit the news industry in general or NBC specifically.
    is this poll closer to the election?

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...nal_2016_picks

the facts remain: Killary lost, and the polls said otherwise.

as far as nbc editing the 911 Zimmerman call, it most certainly occurred.
    nothing in the today show broadcast goes on the air with out many approvals.

stick to what you know about, which seems to be not much

Last edited by vided; 02-25-2018 at 03:01 PM.

committee for postings

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Another interesting article concerning gun fatalities (not a poll) sourced by the CDC:

You may be in trouble if you live in the West or the South.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/y...=YF&yptr=yahoo

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

the facts remain: Killary lost, and the polls said otherwise.

as far as nbc editing the 911 Zimmerman call, it most certainly occurred.
    nothing in the today show broadcast goes on the air with out many approvals.

stick to what you know about, which seems to be not much
    You don't understand what you read. I used to live in Putnam County and thought the educational system was more efficient there. Apparently not.

Spyder Garage

You don't understand what you read. I used to live in Putnam County and thought the educational system was more efficient there. Apparently not.

Explain.

committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Snopes is known to not play fairly. They have liberal agenda, and they don't mind promoting it.

No, you give US an actual source. If you'd bothered to read the link provided, Snopes provides actual facts, figures, and sources. Instead of responding to those facts, you just made a kneejerk reaction that Snopes must be wrong because Snopes (supposedly) has a "liberal agenda." Sorry, Bob, but facts don't have a "liberal agenda." That's lazy thinking, but you're not alone -- I constantly see self-proclaimed "conservatives" spouting the same BS on just about anything they don't like or any conclusion they don't agree. "I don't like your facts or conclusions so you must be a liberal."

So, I want to know what exactly, is the definition of a "liberal agenda"? And in this case, who told you that Snopes has a "liberal agenda" and based on what facts and analysis?

And BTW, Snopes' main conclusion is that the original claim that crime went up in Australia was outdated, having been made in 2001, and that the situation has changed in the 17 years since then. I fail to see the "liberal agenda" in that. I'd welcome facts and figures to contradict what Snopes says. But I guess wanting actual facts and information makes me a "liberal." Sigh.
    Last edited by johnsimion; 02-25-2018 at 03:35 PM.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So nobody is willing to provide another source?
    Q.E.D.!

Spyder Garage

If's and but's were candy and nuts.......
    Are you telling me he had a better chance being unarmed?

Spyder Garage

Try this poll....I don't really believe it either but shows you how scattered they are..From Feb 23,2018.http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...ez_track_feb23

Spyder Garage

Explain.
    I'm not saying I agree with that; but, do you really need him to explain it to you, in regards to the post you quoted? There will probably be names (name calling) thrown around, and the thread pulled.

Spyder Garage

Another interesting article concerning gun fatalities (not a poll) sourced by the CDC:

You may be in trouble if you live in the West or the South.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/y...=YF&yptr=yahoo
    I wouldn't have guessed these findings.Living in Illinois,I would thought we would be in the running with Chicago and East St Louis. Wonder why Wyoming?...Interesting.