Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: ar-15

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default ar-15

I saw a video thought was interesting. It was on MSNBC yesterday. I found it today on Google. Man destroys AR-15. Look closely, he doesn't destroy it. he only shortened the barrel. That makes it an unregistered short barreled rifle subject to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. He did not destroy the receiver (which is the serial numbered part. Would be interesting if anyone in authority saw it and contacted the individual.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seems like the discussion about the FBI seemingly dropping the ball has been replaced by coverage of the students.

Spyder Garage

Could be he was just planning a barrel / foreguard upgrade. Though I wonder what kinda muzzle flash, range, and accuracy that microbarrel AR-15 would have.
    I know I sure would feel better if I sent the US Treasury ONE US dollar to offset the US Debt. He should pat himself on the back on Youtube more.....
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Machinegunner View Post
    I saw a video thought was interesting. It was on MSNBC yesterday. I found it today on Google. Man destroys AR-15. Look closely, he doesn't destroy it. he only shortened the barrel. That makes it an unregistered short barreled rifle subject to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. He did not destroy the receiver (which is the serial numbered part. Would be interesting if anyone in authority saw it and contacted the individual.
    I think there is a point to his story that nobody wants to acknowledge
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i don't own a gun or rifle but i was wondering what is the purpose of an ar15, what is it made to do?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is just a rifle, just like any other semi-automatic rifle. It is used for hunting, target shooting, and competitive shooting. It doesn't have a mind of its own. Probably the most popular rifle in the US.

Spyder Garage

Default AR-15

On a side note:

I think it was msnbc that said the AR-15 is an assault rifle ( it isn't) because the AR stands for Assault Rifle -------- It does NOT.

Armalite Research ( spelling?) is the name of the company ( and designer --Casey Stoner) Shows how stupid and non-journalistic some of the talking heads are. They also call it a high-power rifle. Well barely- A 30-06, a .308, even a 30-30 ( and many other larger caliber) are high powered rifles. The original stoner design was a .308 caliber, but the military wanted a higher ammo capacity.

Please--- let the flaming begin:

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    i don't own a gun or rifle but i was wondering what is the purpose of an ar15, what is it made to do?
    May I offer an opinion? I think the AR-15 and other similarly designed semi-automatic rifles are supposed to appeal to buyers who want the intimidating appearance of a real assault weapon. As Lew pointed out it's more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I find it interesting that some of defining factors of a so called "assault rifle" are the black plastic stock, flash suppressor, pistol grip and the ability to carry a bayonet.

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    I don't own an AR-15----- BUT a semi-auto, .223 caliber, wooden stock, leather sling,5 round hunting magazine,Leupold scope , ect. I use it for plunking, target shooting, ---- fun activities.

If I wanted to I could make it make it look like an Armelite Research (Spelling?) model 15 or many of the millions of copies that is the most popular American sporting rifle.

Not sure if I want to take the bait about what a rifle is made to do. But ------- most killings are done by hand guns. ( FBI crime statistics)

Lew L

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    May I offer an opinion? I think the AR-15 and other similarly designed semi-automatic rifles are supposed to appeal to buyers who want the intimidating appearance of a real assault weapon. As Lew pointed out it's more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.
    Oh! I guess you mean something like a Remington 742...

Or perhaps a Winchester 100

Functionally: all three of these rifles are identical, and you can in no way distinguish between them, until you get into physical appearances of them...

Which is NOT a valid way to find a difference!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most killings are done by deranged people. I never heard of one rifle or pistol that fired by it self. It's NOT THE GUN.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How many are killed by alcohol (directly or indirectly) or motor vehicles ?? Bet that number would scare you.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Bayonet???

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    I find it interesting that some of defining factors of a so called "assault rifle" are the black plastic stock, flash suppressor, pistol grip and the ability to carry a bayonet.

There are morehens teeth than AR-15's ( and the like) that have a bayonet lug.---- well a bit of a joke.

While in the Army I modified some M-14's to full auto ( Very easy to do with the ONE correct part). It had a bayonet lug but no black plastic nor pistol grip. I would call it an assault rifle. It was impossible to keep on target in full auto selection mode. But a good one ( and good marksman)could hit the target at 600 yards with open sights. Don't ask me how I know this.

Lew L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One of their others is the detachable (replaceable) high capacity mag.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Kind'a...............

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Yea, it's like the young family guy who owns a mini van for obvious reasons, but yearns for the day when he can own a hell cat. And by the way, there are already those out there who think hell cats should be illegal to own.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Yea, it's like the young family guy who owns a mini van for obvious reasons, but yearns for the day when he can own a hell cat. And by the way, there are already those out there who think hell cats should be illegal to own.
    They probably all drive hybrids...
    Forget the Hellcats: find yourself a new Demon...

Spyder Garage

Yup! Everyone destroy their guns to solve the problem.

Didn't they try something like that with the book burnings back when the Nazis were in power?

It is so blatent lately that I want to just

And, I might add that I am not impressed with 15 year olds trying to tell us how to run the country. Start paying taxes like the rest of us first. Also just wondering...who is paying for those charter busses?

Done. Three public service announcements in one post.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-21-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It is just a rifle, just like any other semi-automatic rifle. It is used for hunting, target shooting, and competitive shooting. It doesn't have a mind of its own. Probably the most popular rifle in the US.
    This, . Mac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Yup! Everyone destroy their guns to solve the problem. Didn't they try that with the book burnings back when the Nazis were in power?

It is so blatent lately that I want to just

And, I might add that I am not to impressed with 15 year olds trying to tell us how to run the country. Start paying taxes like the rest of us first.

Done. Three public service announcements in one post.
    Yes, this too! Mac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Throw another "" on the pile...

Spyder Garage

Most killings are done by deranged people. I never heard of one rifle or pistol that fired by it self. It's NOT THE GUN.
    I'm not arguing with you at all, because you're obviously correct. For interesting reading, though, you might want to google the death of the wife of Randy Meisner, the original bass player for the Eagles. The gun that killed his wife supposedly went off **all by itself** while she was moving it -- inside a box. Believe that explanation or not, the police did accept it and Meisner is a free man today.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Not going to be "political" here (had one of my posts taken down already), But once it starts, it ain't going to stop. Mac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just heard on the radio today that FBI report for 2016 stated 374 people were killed with rifles and 1700 were killed with knives. Nobody cares about knives or cars or drugs. Schools are already gun free zones. How is that working?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    On a side note:

I think it was msnbc that said the AR-15 is an assault rifle ( it isn't) because the AR stands for Assault Rifle -------- It does NOT.

Armalite Research ( spelling?) is the name of the company ( and designer --Casey Stoner) Shows how stupid and non-journalistic some of the talking heads are. They also call it a high-power rifle. Well barely- A 30-06, a .308, even a 30-30 ( and many other larger caliber) are high powered rifles. The original stoner design was a .308 caliber, but the military wanted a higher ammo capacity.

Please--- let the flaming begin:

Lew L
    You are correct that the "AR" doesn't stand for "Assault Rifle." You are wrong that the AR-15 is not an assault rifle.

Washington Post: "“AR” doesn’t stand for assault rifle. It stands for the Armalite rifle, named after the company that developed the weapon. It was first used during the Vietnam War as an alternative to the M-14 rifle, which was heavy, difficult to control and outmatched by the AK-47." https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.6135fa87f343

Also from the Washington Post: "In the United States, the weapon traces its origins to a contract the Pentagon gave in 1957 to *Armalite." https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.9a208100a7fa

Wikipedia: "The ArmaLite AR-15 is a select-fire, 5.56x45mm, air-cooled, gas-operated, magazine-fed assault rifle, with a rotating bolt and straight-line recoil design. ... The AR-15 was designed above all else to be a lightweight assault rifle, and to tire a new lightweight, high-velocity small caliber cartridge to allow the infantrymen to carry more ammunition." See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmaLite_AR-15

Once Colt bought out ArmaLite, "Colt would go on to market the Colt ArmaLite AR-15 rifle to military services around the world."

It's common knowledge that the semi-automatic AR-15 was subsequently modified into the familiar M-16 full-automatic or burst-fire assault rifle. It's also common knowledge that an AR-15 can be modified to be full automatic with the right parts.

Under the circumstances, I think MSNBC's error in identifying what "AR" means is a lot less important than the error in claiming the AR-15 is not an assault rifle when in reality it was created, marketed and actually sold to the military as an assault rifle from Day One.

I am not against AR-15s or guns in general but for pete's sake, let's at least be honest about them.
    2017 RTS , Blue