Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    I gave the 15RTL 15,000 miles and never made friends with it so re-homed it to someone else and went back to two wheels. We never got comfortable with the ride or the handling. Went through laser alignment,shock adj.,new tires on both ends, RDL seat and played with air pressure up and down the scale. I loved it in town and thought the sissy shift was the greatest thing going but as soon as I was in the twistys is handled like a truck. It's like drinking scotch as it is an acquired taste. I do like scotch but not so much the spyder. YMMV.
    Do the sway bars really help on the highway or just on the curvy roads?
    btw- I take it up to 85 mph to really get out of my comfort zone and it is feeling better as I log on the miles. I was just wondering if I needed to add a taller windshield or sway bar to enjoy the ryde more...

Spyder Garage

Default Nice looking Ryde Jeff

We had Rons Swaybar on our 2011 RT and it helped especially getting used to the corners or when pushing it faster. I would say that the Spyder will always have some "twitchiness" especially on uneven or worn roads, or when riding in buffeting conditions or when semis pass. Most of the comfort factor comes with getting some miles and learning to trust the stability of the machine. After a while each of us gets confidence in how the Spyder rides and how we can keep it on the road with little effort (Just like riding a bike, motorcycle or horse as others have mentioned). Part of my enjoyment of being in the Wind is that bit of wandering that is different from riding in a car and being isolated from the world. I do however like to have the windshield to keep most of the wind off (the 23" F4) is what we like on the F3T. I do like to look over the windshield on the RT. Different strokes, different folks. No matter what you like, hope you get to enjoy your time on three wheels and riding in the wind!
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

The sway bar I installed was Baja Ron's. The stock sway bar worked fine when it was just me riding it, but when two-up, the machine had too much body roll to the outside of turns for my liking, even if we were laying down "crotch rocket" style. It felt like the inside tire was going to go "airborne" although I knew it would not. I've only got about 19,000 mi. on it, but I ride it now without issue. I also have the stock height windshield and raise it so I can look over the top of it and not thru it, and I d/n get no more buffeting than I did with the Gold Wing's that I have owned. Good Luck! Mac
    Last edited by Mad Mac; 02-21-2018 at 01:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

Who on this thread found an improvement with a taller windshield?
    Does the windshield make for a better feel due to less wind buffeting or does it push the byke a little more??

The height of the windshield depends on how tall you are. Ideally, with a tall shield, it should come up to the middle of your nose, so you can peek over in the rain. There are shields made that flip the wind over your head, lessening the head buffet.

My GS has a BRP touring windshield and a shorty. The Spyder is stable with either shield.

Start this subject in a new thread and you'll get more help.

Get the sway bar first...
    Last edited by Yazz; 02-20-2018 at 07:16 PM. Reason: 'Cause I can...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Simple: Ron's Swaybar and Lazer Alignment.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I am 6' and still using the stock windshield. I bought my Spyder in June '15 and rode it to Sturgis in Aug '15. I did not have a taller windshield nor did I have Baja Ron's bar. I was just fine. I finally decided on the bar because the new car tire I put on for the trip allowed me to corner harder and the body roll was just too much. I put it on when I got back from Sturgis. In Sept '16 I went to Red Rock Spyder Rally and had it Laser aligned. By then I had put car tires on the fronts because the stock were wearing funny and I saw no sense doing an alignment with tires that were already showing signs of misalignment. They had plenty of tread at 20,000 miles but had worn funny.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 02-21-2018 at 10:09 AM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Kindly do not impugn my questioning when I was simply asking the OP to give us an idea of just how many owners are unsatisfied with their Spyders.
    And how exactly do you expect him to KNOW that ??

YOU can search this forum (and others if you want) to get that number yourself just as easy as he can.

There was a definite tone in the wording of your post that sounded like you were outright challenging his feeling that there are more than a few "new" riders who just don't seem to be getting much better over time. I share his feeling.......based on the number of posts made here to that effect.....and my guess that many are suffering in silence........and my personal experience so far.

And I am NOT a new rider.......FAR from it.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 02-20-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    The sway bar I installed was Baja Ron's. The stock sway bar worked fine when it was just me riding, but when two-up, the machine had too much body roll to the outside of turns for my liking, even if we were laying down "crotch rocket" style. It felt like the inside tire was going to go "airborne" although I knew it would not.
    The shock stiffeners for Doc Humphrey's took the roll out.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Get the sway bar first...
    How does a stiffer sway bar help when most of the problem is when GOING STRAIGHT DOWN THE ROAD ??

I actually feel more stable going around corners and curves than when going straight.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    How does a stiffer sway bar help when most of the problem is when GOING STRAIGHT DOWN THE ROAD ??

I actually feel more stable going around corners and curves than when going straight.
    The sway bar will help with semi wind buffeting. It just stiffens up the bike.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    The sway bar will help with semi wind buffeting. It just stiffens up the bike.

Ray
    Very much so IMO! I've ridden behind my son at high speed watching crosswinds blow his BMW1200GSA about and my RT just tracks along straight and undisturbed. I cannot say how my Spyder would behave with an OEM sway bar.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

I think you and I are on the same page! If I ever take the spyder to Central Fl,
    maybe we can ryde together and try to figure it out lol...
    Last edited by Jeffmal; 02-20-2018 at 09:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default I’m still counting for you!

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    What specifically are you uncomfortable with about your Spyder at highway speeds?

How about some numbers, please. "A lot of us" doesn't cut it without some empirical data.
    Trying to get you an accurate number...really?

Spyder Garage

Default You just gotta ride for a while

Well, at least that's how I did it. I rode my motorcycle 850 miles, traded it in for my Spyder, and then rode it back the same 850 miles. All highway miles.

Having never ridden a Spyder (15 mile test didn't count), and about 20 miles into my adventure home, I was convinced that I'd wasted $$$ on a toy that I would never be able to ride comfortably. HUGE cross-wind storm on the way home while traveling 80 MPH on the highway taught me that I COULD deal with the highway. Getting home and finally relaxing my butt cheeks a little I decided to finally read about my new Spyder.

I should have done my homework first, but now that I've dealt with it once and learned how to control the Spyder on the interstate I'm good to go! My best piece of advice is to just ride it and remove any pre-conceived notion you had/have about how it's supposed to ride.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We ALL come into the "Spyder Experience" with preconceived notions about what to expect.
    When they are proven wrong: all Hell breaks loose!
    The fact, is that nobody ever told you that these things handle like a motorcycle.
    (If they did: I gonna turn them into the I.R.S. for a much-needed audit! )
    My first two miles on my original RT were freaky... I was all over the road; trying to make constant corrections to keep the damn thing straight. I was SURE that I had just made a $25,000 mistake!
    After I thought about it for a bit: I remembered that Ski Doo had no problem building sleds that tracked straight down the trails with nary a hint of wander...
    So I took a deep breath, relaxed my grip...

...And the clouds parted!

Give ti some time, and quit whining about how your friends on "leaners" have no problems with cross-wind buffeting.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Twitchy, alignment. Swaybar for better handling.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmal View Post
    Still trying to figure out if the wind buffeting is causing the "twitchiness" or tires etc...
    I did have the laser alignment and it made 0 difference to me. Still getting used to the Ryde, right at 1000 miles
    but not completely comfortable that's why I'm looking for the secret recipe!
    Was it a laser alignment? Who did the alignment? We put the BRP Tallboy windshield on. I rode over 7,300 miles on our F3L last summer ( Las Vegas to Lake George, NY and back) and noticed no twichiness. Laser alignment by Squared Away, Bajaron swaybar, Roadster Renovations vibration dampener, 18 psi front Kenda tires, 22psi rear General Altimax tire. 30 psi in rear airbag. Currently at 18,500 miles.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 02-21-2018 at 09:18 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Was it a laser alignment? Who did the alignment? We put the BRP Tallboy windshield on. I rode over 7,300 miles on our F3L last summer ( Las Vegas to Lake George, NY and back) and noticed no twichiness. Laser alignment by Squared Away, Bajaron swaybar, Roadster Renovations vibration dampener, 18 psi front Kenda tires, 22psi rear General Altimax tire. 30 psi in rear airbag. Currently at 18,500 miles.
    Alignment was done by Tricled with a small out of the box setup.
    I don't know what the setup is supposed to look like but I am assuming these guys are doing it correct (hopefully).
    My arms are relaxed while ryding, I'm thinking it may be due to wind buffeting at the higher speeds as I do have the short, stock windshield.
    I just wasn't sure if the taller windshield will move the bike more even though it's diminishing the wind hitting me...

Spyder Garage

Question Buffeting

Still trying to figure out if the wind buffeting is causing the "twitchiness" or tires etc...
    I did have the laser alignment and it made 0 difference to me. Still getting used to the Ryde, right at 1000 miles
    but not completely comfortable that's why I'm looking for the secret recipe!
    A proper windshield vent moves the buffeting zone above the rider. The windshield WILL cause turbulence in the air flow , ALSO a low pressure area behind it. A $50 Gold wing vent installed in a stock windshield fills the low pressure area and pushes it above the rider ( and passenger, according to my wife)

Its just simple aerodynamics.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Power Steering

You're probably correct...the real challenge is over 60mph!
    What made a huge difference for me was the realization that the Spyder comes with Power Steering!! Never rode a 2-wheeler with Power Steering..... I'm now over 15,000.

Spyder Garage

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    I gave the 15RTL 15,000 miles and never made friends with it so re-homed it to someone else and went back to two wheels. We never got comfortable with the ride or the handling. Went through laser alignment,shock adj.,new tires on both ends, RDL seat and played with air pressure up and down the scale. I loved it in town and thought the sissy shift was the greatest thing going but as soon as I was in the twistys is handled like a truck. It's like drinking scotch as it is an acquired taste. I do like scotch but not so much the spyder. YMMV.

The additions of sway bar, tires, grips, windshield are not helpful, if you don't follow this advice, from an earlier post:

IMO, your arms from shoulders to fingertips need to be fully relaxed or any movement in them will be transmitted to the handlebars. very simple.
    RELAX!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think you and I are on the same page! If I ever take the spyder to Central Fl,
    maybe we can ryde together and try to figure it out lol...
    I plan to be in Homestead around Oct. 15 this year.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Alignment was done by Tricled with a small out of the box setup.
    I don't know what the setup is supposed to look like but I am assuming these guys are doing it correct (hopefully).
    My arms are relaxed while ryding, I'm thinking it may be due to wind buffeting at the higher speeds as I do have the short, stock windshield.
    I just wasn't sure if the taller windshield will move the bike more even though it's diminishing the wind hitting me...
    I don’t know how tall you are but the top of your windshield should be even with your nose. Too high and you will be buffeted from behind. Too low and you’ll feel a lot of pressure on your chest. TricLED uses the Rolo Laser Alignment system, which is the best one so I’m sure your alignment is good. You need a BajaRon Sway Bar and the ”twitchy” will go away.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by azprince View Post
    The additions of sway bar, tires, grips, windshield are not helpful, if you don't follow this advice, from an earlier post:

IMO, your arms from shoulders to fingertips need to be fully relaxed or any movement in them will be transmitted to the handlebars. very simple.
    RELAX!

Well that is no doubt good advice......to a point.....based on a LOT of input on here and my own personal experience.............
    BUT..........

I've been riding mine whenever practical with only one of two fingers lightly on the bars; sometimes one side or the other and sometimes both sides.
    That seems to eliminate about 80% of the problem, just guessing at a number.

But the remaining 20% still is downright unsettling when it unexpectedly darts to one side with no input on the bars at all.
    Sometimes it's windy, sometimes not. Sometimes passing traffic, sometimes not.
    Often an uneven road surface but not always.

In short, minimizing your bar input is critical but it is not the ONLY factor at work.

I kind of doubt that windshield height will do much because my RT has a movable shield......with a "Goldwing vent"....... and shield position doesn't seem to make any difference.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You need a BajaRon Sway Bar and the ”twitchy” will go away.
    Will you provide a refund if it doesn't ???