Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What's your secret recipe?

So many threads about tires, windshields, alignments, shocks,
    swaybars and more...
    There are still a lot of us that are still uncomfortable with their Spyder especially at
    highway speeds.
    So...give us your best recipe that made your Spyder ryde as comfortable and smooth as possible!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nothing much special at all...
    The standard 25" windshield at it's lowest setting...
    BRP's rider backrest
    BRP's adjustable air deflectors

Easy-Peasey...

Oh! I also had a Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover on my 2014: I'll have to consider getting another one for the new bike.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

What specifically are you uncomfortable with about your Spyder at highway speeds?

How about some numbers, please. "A lot of us" doesn't cut it without some empirical data.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Just ride

It took me 500 - 1000 miles before I felt very comfortable at highway speeds. I have not subscribed to all the must haves - but added the accessories that increased my comfort as I continue to ride. I am even planning to remove the BRP vibration dampner because it fixes one problem temporarily then could cause another.

Keep riding - comfort and security will come to you.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    What specifically are you uncomfortable with about your Spyder at highway speeds?

How about some numbers, please. "A lot of us" doesn't cut it without some empirical data.
    Still trying to figure out if the wind buffeting is causing the "twitchiness" or tires etc...
    I did have the laser alignment and it made 0 difference to me. Still getting used to the Ryde, right at 1000 miles
    but not completely comfortable that's why I'm looking for the secret recipe!

Spyder Garage

Default 1st RIDE

on my very 1st ride, i was very uncomfortable because i was expecting my SPYD3R to handle like a 2 wheeler....
    i thought to myself, "wow, i've wasted some serious buck$"....
    after about 200 miles of share fear and reservations, it & i started to feel way more comfortable....
    by the time i hit 500 miles, it was all SMILES....
    had the SPYD3Rs been around back in the 1960's, i would have gone this route vs. 2 wheels...

farkle it to your liking, and give it a few hundred miles, and you'll be all SMILES like all the rest of us...
    good luck & ride carefully....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post

Add me.

But your request is unreasonable; I suspect on purpose. Not nice.

In it's stock configuration, the Spyder has an UNSTABLE feel to it.
    It tends to "dart" around with little or no input from the rider.

Part of that is real and part is just a feeling.
    Some riders are more sensitive to it than others, it seems.

Just because YOU don't find it a problem does NOT mean that there is something wrong with the riders that DO find it to be a continuing problem.
    And I resent the implication that there IS something wrong with them (us).

I strongly suspect that the tires have a LOT to do with it, soft sidewalls and poor tread pattern and that a lot of the other "fixes" that we are encouraged to spend a TON of money on by well other well meaning owners would just be a waste of money for your average "old fart" sedate-style owners. But that's just a theory. I won't be testing that until I am thoroughly convinced that just more miles in the seat won't solve most of the problem. But so far, there was a big improvement and then a plateau where I am mostly comfortable except in "unusual" situations......and speeds above about 55 MPH seem to magnify the little things that are uncomfortable.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmal View Post
    Just noticed that you are in Florida......not too far from me, I think.

I still believe that the wavy roads (the 2 lane ones mostly) in Florida are part of my problem.
    It's hard to keep the surface level when the road is built on SAND.

Finding a wavy section of pavement while going around a curve is particularly unsettling.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default The secret is time and miles

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

I still believe that the wavy roads (the 2 lane ones mostly) in Florida are part of my problem.

Finding a wavy section of pavement while going around a curve is particularly unsettling.
    I had this same problem with the wavy roads when I lived in Southern California, and it bothered me at first too. Once I realized it was the road, and not the bike it got better. I just learned to not hold on so tight, and adjust when the wavy part hit.

One thing I did to improve my confidence was to find a non-wavy road, and let go of the handle bars to see how straight the Spyder rode.
    *Note: I had the cruise on, and held my hands about a half inch above the grips for safety when I did this.

Just give it some time, and miles. It will get better.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Still trying to figure out if the wind buffeting is causing the "twitchiness" or tires etc...I did have the laser alignment and it made 0 difference to me. Still getting used to the Ryde, right at 1000 miles but not completely comfortable that's why I'm looking for the secret recipe!
    It's not the bike. Get out there and RYDE!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Biggest improvement to me after coming from almost 60 years on two wheelers was the Sway bar and the Aleignment by Ann and Joe. Just takes a little getting used to.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

Add me.

But your request is unreasonable; I suspect on purpose. Not nice.
    Did I accuse the OP of intentionally fabricating numbers? Not at all. Do I suspect the OP of being a troll? Absolutely not. Would I like to know how many Spyder riders are unsatisfied with how their bikes handle? Sure, absolutely. If there are unsatisfied riders then data is important in attempting to assess the reasons for the dissatfaction. Kindly do not impugn my questioning when I was simply asking the OP to give us an idea of just how many owners are unsatisfied with their Spyders.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

So far for me the biggest improvement has been the Baharon sway bar, WAIT, it's the laser alignment, WAIT, it's the 32 inch windshield, NO WAIT, it's the shad bags, DARNIT, it's the belt tensioner, OH WHAT THE HELL, it's the two up shock (yeah right) BUT Elka's soon, almost done, BUT no where near finished. RDL seats on order to make everything else more enjoyable for the long haul. WAIT there's more !!!!

Spyder Garage

I agree with what many have said here, the wheel ruts in the road will pull you around. Honestly, relax your grip. It may seem like a hard thing to get used to but it does help.

Now as for mods, I have 2017 RT-S, Other than the daily commute. I generally ride 2-up with my wife. We have put about 13000miles in 2 summers of riding (still very much winter up here) and the 2 things I found that really made a difference to me are

1) sway bar
    2) shock stiffeners from doc Humphrey.

I was able to buy 2 of the stiffeners from a guy who purchased the set, and only used 2 of them. The difference in corners was immediate, and as noticeable as when I put on the sway bar. The combination makes the spyder almost effortless around corners, and so much easier to ride.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you buy a Spyder, and expect it to handle like a motorcycle: you're going to be VERY disappointed!
    If you choose to NOT do the research, and learn what to expect: shoes fault is that?
    If you're unwilling to take the time to learn something new: what do you expect?
    Give it 500 miles, and then come back to us!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=bcer960;1337533]
    I agree with what many have said here, the wheel ruts in the road will pull you around. Honestly, relax your grip. It may seem like a hard thing to get used to but it does help.

Now as for mods, I have 2017 RT-S, Other than the daily commute. I generally ride 2-up with my wife. We have put about 13000miles in 2 summers of riding (still very much winter up here) and the 2 things I found that really made a difference to me are

1) sway bar
    2) shock stiffeners from doc Humphrey.

I was able to buy 2 of the stiffeners from a guy who purchased the set, and only used 2 of them. The difference in corners was immediate, and as noticeable as when I put on the sway bar. The combination makes the spyder almost effortless around corners, and so much easier to ride.

Ray
    [/QUOTE Who on this thread found an improvement with a taller windshield?
    Does the windshield make for a better feel due to less wind buffeting or does it push the byke a little more??

Spyder Garage

Smile Uneasy Riding!

Assuming that everything about your is set up correctly, that leaves the rider technique and the rider's brain, and this can be solved. If you've been riding two wheels for years the brain is trained that if you are leaning left or right then you must be turning, so it corrects for the input and turns slightly left or right. So there you go down the road "twitching" left and right, very unsettling. Now we add a road surface that tilts left and right and we have more input to the brain telling us that we are twitching even more!
    What I found for myself, is that I was trying to keep my body and head aligned vertically with the vertical axis of the bike which works on a two wheeler as most of the road induced motion is vertical except when your really turning. So the brain becomes "trained"! With the going down the road you have motion vertically (bumps and dips) and side to side tipping following the road profile. So if you are riding with your body attempting to align with the vertical plane of the the poor old brain is being told that you are turning every which way and tries to correct for the perceived motion making it worse as now you are really "twitching". Once I realized what was happening to me I decided to ride the like a horse and let it move around under me and basically keep my head somewhat vertical and relax. All of sudden my SPYDER became "friendly" and it now tracks down the road at any speed and I'm free to look around way ahead for pleasures and also for up coming dangers, as the cars aren't trying to kill you, they really are and truly don't see you. And looking far ahead also is a big part of smoothing the ride as you aren't trying to correct for every movement real or perceived. Hope this helps, try it on a lonesome road with no traffic and soon it will become second nature as you have to retrain the brain!

Spyder Garage

So many threads about tires, windshields, alignments, shocks,
    swaybars and more...
    There are still a lot of us that are still uncomfortable with their Spyder especially at
    highway speeds.
    So...give us your best recipe that made your Spyder ryde as comfortable and smooth as possible!
    I'm sorry Jeff,there is no secret sauce. It may have been easier for me because I came from 4 years on a Goldwing trike. I had already unlearned all my years of 2 wheel habits. I had my Spyder for over a year before I did laser alignment, Sway bar, or tires. I still took me a couple thousand miles to get really comfortable with the Spyder when I first started riding it. I can tell you that there comes a time when the "hunting" wont bother you any more,or may it never did hunt,or maybe it still hunts and I just don't care any more. I have ridden at 80mph for hundreds on miles in Wyoming,Montana and South Dakota. Being passed by or passing big trucks is not a problem to me. I find it very stable in cross winds. I bought my Spyder in June of 2015 and I have put 27000 miles on in that time.I would ride it anywhere at any speed. I also remember the 1st time I rode a Spyder I thought I was going all over the road. There is a learning curve and the only solution is time and miles. If you haven't done this have you front end checked out just to give you peace of mind that there are no mechanical problems and then just ride it.

I hope things work out for you and soon get to the point where it is all the fun you thought it was going to be.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

You're probably correct...the real challenge is over 60mph!

Spyder Garage

I have to admit, when I first test rode an '11 RT (about 15 miles worth), I thought it was somewhat "darty". Considering I had, at the time 45 years worth of two-wheel experience, I caulked it up to that. When I took delivery of our '14, I rode it home from the dealer (about 120 miles) on curvy Natl. Forest paved roads, and said "damn this thing is really squirrelly". I spent the next couple of rides getting used to it and had about 2K miles on it before I made any modifications, I.E. tire pressure adjustments and a sway bar. Just those two modifications made a world of difference, the machine rode and handled much better for me. Being "twitchy" on the freeway at speed due to the differences in road surfaces, I feel is an inherent characteristic of the vehicle and it's something you learn to adapt to, and if you don't get used to the basic feel of the machine, you can spend a lot of $$$ and just be chasing your tail! Or you could just sell it if you feel unsafe and try something else. Good Luck!! Mac
    P.S. Luckily I rode snowmobiles for about 15 years, and riding a Spyder uses the same technique as a snowmobile in my opinion.
    Last edited by Mad Mac; 02-20-2018 at 04:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

Time in the saddle. I took about 1500 miles before becoming comfortable.

Overcontrolling: If your knuckles are getting white and your hands starting to cramp--you may be overcontrolling.

I have mentioned a few times: Pretend there are eggs between the grips and your hands. Don't break the eggs. A light push/pull on the bars. Lean into the curves a bit. This reduces the "g" forces. Plant the outside foot on the pegs/floorboards. Grab the tank with your knees. If you have to brake for a curve--your entry speed is to fast. You should be able to accelerate slightly.

A laser alignment was helpful to both our 's.

You may have a mental block when it comes to "over 60 mph." Don't think about it--just do it.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-20-2018 at 03:40 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Time in the saddle. I took about 1500 miles before becoming comfortable. Overcontrolling: If your knuckles are getting white and your hands starting to cramp--you may be overcontrolling. I have mentioned a few times: Pretend there are eggs between the grips and your hands. Don't break the eggs. A light push/pull on the bars. Lean into the curves a bit. This reduces the "g" forces. Plant the outside foot on the pegs/floorboards. Grab the tank with your knees. If you have to brake for a curve--your entry speed is to fast. You should be able to accelerate slightly. You may have a mental block when it comes to "over 60 mph." Don't think about it--just do it.
    It's all in the ryder's head.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Still trying to figure out if the wind buffeting is causing the "twitchiness" or tires etc...
    I did have the laser alignment and it made 0 difference to me. Still getting used to the Ryde, right at 1000 miles
    I came to Spyderworld after a long two wheel hiatus and via a different route not worth detailing here. Safe it to say, I had absolutely no problem adjusting my RT; a 50-mile test ride convinced me it was the bike for me. Yes, I could have bought a Harley trike or a Gold Wing conversion but opted for the Spyder. As a result of a lot of reading here on SL I had a Bajaron sway bar installed by the dealership and the rolo laser alignment before I took possession. After a couple of weeks toodling around the countryside I headed for a local stretch of milti-lane interstate where the speed limit is 60 but if you're not doing almost 80 you get run over. I intentionally went looking for two semis with an open lane between them and ran right up to the tactor noses. Yes, I felt wind buffeting about my shoulders and upper torso but with a light grip on the bars the Spyder tracked like an arrow shot from a crossbow. IMO, your arms from shoulders to fingertips need to be fully relaxed or any movement in them will be transmitted to the handlebars.

If you are uncertain about the stability of the Spyder itself find a long stretch of straight road and safely ride with hands off the bars. If the bike doesn't track perfectly straight take it back to the shop that did the laser alignment. If it's tires, I'm sorry, can't help. My crappy Kendas have performed well for me except for the shorter life of the rear tire that I will replace very soon with an Altimax; have never had a problem with the fronts.

I wish you'd said you have only a grand on the clock in your OP. Some folks take longer than others to get acclimated to a Spyder than others. It's nothing to worry about; just keep adding the miles and see what happens.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Time

Don't worry time heals all. The best thing I've found is to go out early on Saturday or Sunday morning. Before a lot of traffic gets out and ride several roads. Just keep in mind on how the ride is going and how you are acting with or against the bike. Just remember that your on 3 wheels now that are wider and more prone to do different things at different times. No 2 roads are the same and no 2 bikes aren't either. You may travel the same strech of highway 10 times and you may find that the ride was not the same 8 out of 10 times. So just go out and have fun. Enjoy the ride. Happy Trails my Friend.

Spyder Garage

I gave the 15RTL 15,000 miles and never made friends with it so re-homed it to someone else and went back to two wheels. We never got comfortable with the ride or the handling. Went through laser alignment,shock adj.,new tires on both ends, RDL seat and played with air pressure up and down the scale. I loved it in town and thought the sissy shift was the greatest thing going but as soon as I was in the twistys is handled like a truck. It's like drinking scotch as it is an acquired taste. I do like scotch but not so much the spyder. YMMV.