Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default tire issues

Quote Originally Posted by JS3535 View Post
    I am going to drop the front to 15 & the rear to 20 and go for another test run.

To the guy who made the comment that it might be in the wheels, could be correct. Before they mounted my tires they spun the wheels by them self to check them. They both needed the exact same weight before & after mounting the tire. Coincidence? Perhaps. What I don’t know if the weight was called for in the same spot before & after. Also when mounting the Formosa’s on the front wheels they had a hell of a time setting the bead, meaning it was really tight fit on the wheel. I know it probably has something to do with the “car tire” on a motorcycle wheel, so I don’t want to hear it. Also good to know that may help from pushing off the bead due to running to low air pressure, 4x4 & dune guys know what I mean.
    Imbalance in wheels is caused by the same thing as in tires .... somewhere on the object you are checking the balance for, has more material, hence more weight. I'm reasonably sure the weight was put in the same place when the tire was re-checked for balance, unless the tire it-self was badly out of Balance ....... It has been proven ( on this forum ) that the BRP wheels are 99 % identical to the ones made for cars ......... I've had many, many tires put on BRP wheels and never had a Mounting issue ..... As far as " pushing off the bead " well I accidently ran my Michelin rear tire at 8lbs for about 15 miles mostly on a dirt road, and it was only slightly " squirrelly " at the slower speed I was driving at ..... when I looked at it, it didn't look Bad, only less than normal ( Michelin's have much stiffer sidewalls than Kenda's ) but it didn't break the Bead seal, because if that occurred it would have gone flat immediately....... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-25-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I mounted the Formozas myself and had no issues. Did they put the wheel in the correct way be fore installing the tire? Low side of the wheel.

Well anyway good luck..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I mounted the Formozas myself and had no issues. Did they put the wheel in the correct way be fore installing the tire? Low side of the wheel.

Well anyway good luck..
    Wheel the correct way? Low side of the wheel? Please explain.

The tire went on the wheel fine, just when applying air pressure to set the bead is when there was a problem. They really had to soap them up to get it to “pop” on. Make sense?
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

Wheel the correct way? Low side of the wheel? Please explain.

The tire went on the wheel fine, just when applying air pressure to set the bead is when there was a problem. They really had to soap them up to get it to “pop” on. Make sense?
    By low side he means the "thinner" side. Meaning, if you look at the widths of the wheel sections to either side of the center "well", one side is narrower and a tire should ONLY be mounted from this side. Made for a sh1tload of fun watching newbies try to mount tires on wheels where they had to go on from the inside of the wheel vs the normal outside! Those these types of wheels are rare and far between...

As far as seating the beads, that is due to the contour of the "well" on the wheel. At its edge where the tire needs to go up and over to seat, it is a rather sharp angle..... and when both beads are pushing to get over there respective "humps" at the same time it can make things a PITA! Been there done that. Now imagine mounting a 40 or 35 series tire with REALLY stiff sidewalls!

The trick I used when I was doing that sort of thing, was to wipe one bead clean and dry, then lube the other bead and get it to seat then lube the last bead. I had to mention that to the tire shop that was doing my AZ01's and couldn't get them seated either.....
    Last edited by hypurone; 02-26-2018 at 04:49 PM.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and I have used a strap around the wheel to sometimes get the bead to seat.
    Last edited by trikermutha; 02-26-2018 at 04:21 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Imbalance in wheels is caused by the same thing as in tires .... somewhere on the object you are checking the balance for, has more material, hence more weight. I'm reasonably sure the weight was put in the same place when the tire was re-checked for balance, unless the tire it-self was badly out of Balance ....... It has been proven ( on this forum ) that the BRP wheels are 99 % identical to the ones made for cars ......... I've had many, many tires put on BRP wheels and never had a Mounting issue ..... As far as " pushing off the bead " well I accidently ran my Michelin rear tire at 8lbs for about 15 miles mostly on a dirt road, and it was only slightly " squirrelly " at the slower speed I was driving at ..... when I looked at it, it didn't look Bad, only less than normal ( Michelin's have much stiffer sidewalls than Kenda's ) but it didn't break the Bead seal, because if that occurred it would have gone flat immediately....... Mike
    The bead ramp area behind the seat is different on different style BRP and PPA wheels. We have never had an ounce of trouble mounting tires on the spoke rims or the blades. Now the shamrock wheels...those are a major PIA to get tires on and beads to seat. Its the shape of the ramp, not the tire. We have learned for those wheels to be extra careful with the mounting lube and it takes a bit more pressure to get them to seat. Some PPA wheels are a bit more trouble too but not as bad as the Shamrocks.

Its all in the interior shape of the wheel and how the ramp guides (or does not) the tire bead to the rim seat.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am going to drop the front to 15 & the rear to 20 and go for another test run.

To the guy who made the comment that it might be in the wheels, could be correct. Before they mounted my tires they spun the wheels by them self to check them. They both needed the exact same weight before & after mounting the tire. Coincidence? Perhaps. What I don’t know if the weight was called for in the same spot before & after. Also when mounting the Formosa’s on the front wheels they had a hell of a time setting the bead, meaning it was really tight fit on the wheel. I know it probably has something to do with the “car tire” on a motorcycle wheel, so I don’t want to hear it. Also good to know that may help from pushing off the bead due to running to low air pressure, 4x4 & dune guys know what I mean.
    Car tire on a Motorcycle wheel ….really …. ……..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Brought this one back to life did ya!
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black