Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Front Tires

  1. #1
    Active Member lewisalice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    95
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Front Tires

    Just ​bought the Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105 All-Season Tire - 175/55R15 77T hope its better then the federal I did not like those tires.

  2. #2
    Active Member campermac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Etters PA
    Posts
    135
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default RT Front Tires

    Quote Originally Posted by lewisalice View Post
    Just ​bought the Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105 All-Season Tire - 175/55R15 77T hope its better then the federal I did not like those tires.
    I have the same ones and LOVE them.

    Make sure you get a laser alignment done though

  3. #3
    Very Active Member SPYD3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    GREENVILLE, SC
    Posts
    3,273
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default 24,000

    i mounted mine on April 11, 2016 and now have 24,000 miles of smiles on them and they still look great....
    they also handle far superior to the OEM KENDA's....
    i figure i still have no less than 30,000 miles of wear left on mine...
    keep your PSI up and you can't go wrong.... i set mine at 18PSI.....
    good luck, and ride safely....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    20160411_150313 (1).jpg 20160411_150121.jpg 20160411_154943.jpg
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 02-22-2018 at 04:11 PM.

  4. #4
    Active Member lewisalice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    95
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I bought them also

  5. #5
    Active Member Ryan12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas
    Posts
    99
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default NEW TIRES

    I just got my Yokohama S Drives. I have to do some slight fender adjustments to make them fit but I heard I won't be disappointed.20180221_160739.jpg

  6. #6
    Very Active Member SPYD3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    GREENVILLE, SC
    Posts
    3,273
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan12 View Post
    I just got my Yokohama S Drives. I have to do some slight fender adjustments to make them fit but I heard I won't be disappointed.20180221_160739.jpg

    Ryan, prior to altering your fenders, have the tires mounted and see if you can get them to fit under the fenders... i have the 175's, and i still have plenty of room... the 185's aren't that much wider, so i'm thinking you'll be OK...
    let us all know the out-come... i may go to the 185's if you don't need to make alterations....
    good luck...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

  7. #7
    Active Member Ryan12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas
    Posts
    99
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Tires

    Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    Ryan, prior to altering your fenders, have the tires mounted and see if you can get them to fit under the fenders... i have the 175's, and i still have plenty of room... the 185's aren't that much wider, so i'm thinking you'll be OK...
    let us all know the out-come... i may go to the 185's if you don't need to make alterations....
    good luck...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

    I will get some before and after pics and let the spyder world know.

  8. #8
    Active Member Ryan12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas
    Posts
    99
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Front tires

    Well guys and gals I got the (185 Yokohama S Drive) tires mounted at my favorite tire shop and they couldn't balance them due to their machine spindle is too big. Then I went to local cycle shop and they couldn't balance due to their machine spindle is too small. Does this story sound familiar? So I had to drive way out on west side of town to the Dealer where their machine is just right. So $17 later I had balanced tires.

    Anyway went home and right away I put 1 on and the tire don't spin. It rides the front fender bracket. so, I will have to shim about 1/8" and possibly get longer bolts. BUT, and there is always a but, 1 of the darn (I'm being nice here) bolts I twisted the head off. Now I have an excuse to go to Harbor Freight to get more tools. AKA easy outs. So in the mean time I have my good ole buddy (WD-40) on the job trying to penetrate the threads. Tire1.jpgTire2.jpg
    Last edited by Ryan12; 03-02-2018 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Added info.

  9. #9
    Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    3,960
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    i picked up vredstein and will be installing in april. the vredstein is good in light snow. woo hoo

  10. #10
    Very Active Member SPYD3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    GREENVILLE, SC
    Posts
    3,273
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default YIKES..!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan12 View Post
    Well guys and gals I got the (185 Yokohama S Drive) tires mounted at my favorite tire shop and they couldn't balance them due to their machine spindle is too big. Then I went to local cycle shop and they couldn't balance due to their machine spindle is too small. Does this story sound familiar? So I had to drive way out on west side of town to the Dealer where their machine is just right. So $17 later I had balanced tires.

    Anyway went home and right away I put 1 on and the tire don't spin. It rides the front fender bracket. so, I will have to shim about 1/8" and possibly get longer bolts. BUT, and there is always a but, 1 of the darn (I'm being nice here) bolts I twisted the head off. Now I have an excuse to go to Harbor Freight to get more tools. AKA easy outs. So in the mean time I have my good ole buddy (WD-40) on the job trying to penetrate the threads. Tire1.jpgTire2.jpg
    YIKES.....! ! !
    sorry to hear this Ryan.... but your efforts are good info for the rest of us here on SL....
    i guess the 175's are at the MAX of what we can install...
    thanx for letting us know...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

  11. #11
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    13,117
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

    Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    YIKES.....! ! !
    sorry to hear this Ryan.... but your efforts are good info for the rest of us here on SL....
    i guess the 175's are at the MAX of what we can install...
    thanx for letting us know...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    I have reported this a dozen or more times .... On my 2014RT with the basic fenders I successfully mounted 185/55-15 Toyo Proxes T1r tires .... and yes I did shim the fender brackets about 3/16th in...... and in answer to the poster above , the bolts were plenty long enough, I used the OEM bolts ....... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-02-2018 at 09:28 AM.

  12. #12
    Very Active Member canamjhb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Mesa, Arid-Zone-A
    Posts
    1,588
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Without shimming, I think the 175/55R15 is max for the front. When I put mine on they looked BIG and pretty much fill up the wheel area. I was concerned about rubbing the fender bolts which, generously intrude into the wheel area. Before installing the new tires, I pulled each fender bolt and snipped a 1/4 inch off each one with a bolt cutter. No shims, no rubbing
    Platinum Silver Satin 2014 RTL, SOLD

    .]

  13. #13
    Active Member Ryan12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas
    Posts
    99
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default still not finished

    OK the fender saga remains. There was about 1/4 " of bolt that was sticking out so I thought hey a vicegrip will bite on it and I can get the bolt out. NOT... It wont grip enough. Then hey I'll get my grinder and grind a slit in the bolt and use my flat blade screwdriver to twist it out. NOT... It broke 1 side off. After saying a few choice words I ground it flush to the brkt and drilled a hole in it. Then went to hardware store and got the easy out. Here we go this thing is coming out this time. NOT... The darn easy out broke off in the hole. I then burned up 4 drill bits trying to drill out the easy out and finally had to go back to store to get more drill bits and a 4 pack of easy outs. Now my hole is off center and trying another easy out this thing wont budge. I finally raised the white flag and I decided to just drill and tap the hole for a new bolt. So right now I have a drilled hole but I still have to go back to hardware store to get a tap set. OMG I didn't know a 5 min job could take 10 hrs.

    For some reason the lower bolts rust badly. The upper bolts were fine and still silver color.

  14. #14
    Very Active Member tehrlich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Spicewood Texas
    Posts
    624
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan12 View Post
    OK the fender saga remains. There was about 1/4 " of bolt that was sticking out so I thought hey a vicegrip will bite on it and I can get the bolt out. NOT... It wont grip enough. Then hey I'll get my grinder and grind a slit in the bolt and use my flat blade screwdriver to twist it out. NOT... It broke 1 side off. After saying a few choice words I ground it flush to the brkt and drilled a hole in it. Then went to hardware store and got the easy out. Here we go this thing is coming out this time. NOT... The darn easy out broke off in the hole. I then burned up 4 drill bits trying to drill out the easy out and finally had to go back to store to get more drill bits and a 4 pack of easy outs. Now my hole is off center and trying another easy out this thing wont budge. I finally raised the white flag and I decided to just drill and tap the hole for a new bolt. So right now I have a drilled hole but I still have to go back to hardware store to get a tap set. OMG I didn't know a 5 min job could take 10 hrs.

    For some reason the lower bolts rust badly. The upper bolts were fine and still silver color.
    That sucks. Good luck!
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid



  15. #15
    Active Member Ryan12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas
    Posts
    99
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default finally done

    I finally got my tires on today. My last post I was to drill and tap the hole for the fender. A good friend of mine picked up a metric tap & die set and it said to drill a 17/64 hole for the tap I needed. Went back to hardware store and got 2 drill bits just in case. Went home and low and behold step drilled up to the 17/64 hole and guess what? YUP the darn 17/64 bit snapped in the hole. Luckily it came out fairly easy. Went back with 1/4 bit again to get burrs out and was even more careful than before I finally got the hole up to 17/64 hole size for the tap. Slowly tapped hole and wala DONE. I put my shims in and new metric bolt along with blue Loctite and I am ready to roll for a test ride in the morning.

    Tire5.jpg
    Last edited by Ryan12; 03-04-2018 at 12:44 AM.

  16. #16
    Active Member JIM W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Howard's Grove WI.
    Posts
    36
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lewisalice View Post
    Just ​bought the Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105 All-Season Tire - 175/55R15 77T hope its better then the federal I did not like those tires.
    Just wondering where those Federal Evo, and why didn't you like them?
    I'm looking at purchasing new front tires and I've narrowed it to the Ventus V4 ES, and the federal Evo, the federals are about $30 cheaper but that wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, Handling is much more important!!!

  17. #17
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    246
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JIM W View Post
    Just wondering where those Federal Evo, and why didn't you like them?
    I'm looking at purchasing new front tires and I've narrowed it to the Ventus V4 ES, and the federal Evo, the federals are about $30 cheaper but that wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, Handling is much more important!!!
    I recently purchased and installed the Federals and love them. Remember, everyone has a choice. Thats my 2 cents worth anyhow.

  18. #18
    Member makyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Italia
    Posts
    4
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R30SHIRE View Post
    I recently purchased and installed the Federals and love them. Remember, everyone has a choice. Thats my 2 cents worth anyhow.
    hi how are you with the federal?

  19. #19
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    13,117
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Excellent front tire

    Quote Originally Posted by JIM W View Post
    Just wondering where those Federal Evo, and why didn't you like them?
    I'm looking at purchasing new front tires and I've narrowed it to the Ventus V4 ES, and the federal Evo, the federals are about $30 cheaper but that wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, Handling is much more important!!!
    This is not a common tire found on this site but has excellent performance numbers ....Vredestein Quatrac 5 .....in 175/55-15 it also comes in 155/60-15 which might be a better size if you have the new style fenders ........Mike

  20. #20
    Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,655
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    We have EVO's on both bykes F3 Daytona and RT and love them. Very good handling.

  21. #21
    Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    3,960
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This is not a common tire found on this site but has excellent performance numbers ....Vredestein Quatrac 5 .....in 175/55-15 it also comes in 155/60-15 which might be a better size if you have the new style fenders ........Mike
    those are the ones i have and will be installing on my in april

  22. #22
    Active Member JIM W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Howard's Grove WI.
    Posts
    36
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This is not a common tire found on this site but has excellent performance numbers ....Vredestein Quatrac 5 .....in 175/55-15 it also comes in 155/60-15 which might be a better size if you have the new style fenders ........Mike
    Thanks for your response Mike, I'm leaning towards the Evo s, I feel a directional Tire will have better performance but I'm no expert so I'm probably wrong!

  23. #23
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    13,117
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Directional tires

    Quote Originally Posted by JIM W View Post
    Thanks for your response Mike, I'm leaning towards the Evo s, I feel a directional Tire will have better performance but I'm no expert so I'm probably wrong!
    A few years back when the Auto tires started to become popular on the Forum, people were asking if Directional tires were important and it piqued my interest. So I did a bunch of reading on it, to find out for myself ... What I learned was the difference was " Infintesimal ", and only under certain circumstances which could occur on a four wheeled vehicle ..... So based on that I always look for tires with better performance ratings. The only advantage was the ability to rotate your tires..... It has been proven that this practice is a waste of time and money because you aren't fixing the wear problem from a BAD alignment which is what causes premature wear in the first place......... And there isn't a real - " right or wrong " here .... it's more a Better - Best - Exceptional thing ...... all round tires will work, un-fortunately some manufacture's have an unusually high number of defective tires ............. good luck ..... Mike

  24. #24
    Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Rural Hall NC
    Posts
    748
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I am enjoying the heck out of my Evo’s.

    Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

    Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

  25. #25
    Active Member Ryan12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas
    Posts
    99
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default New Tyres

    OK I test rode my Spyder with the new 185 S Drives and it seems to be really lite or too easy to move (at highway speeds). I don't feel any steering resistance. It tracks really well almost too good. I wasn't expecting that. Maybe after a Laser alignment it will be different. Im just reporting my findings. I haven't tested them on any twisty roads yet. Ill probably do that at Spyderfest 2018...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •