GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Bent radiators fins

Has anyone heard of bent radiators fins on 2014 RT?

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

Default Just like a car, they can easily get bent a little.

Of course requires that someone was working near them! On cars, depending on how tight the spacing is, I have used a comb to gently straighten them out. Maybe a dog comb would have closer teeth. Doing "several" at once takes the stress of the tube that carries the water. On an RT with two, probably not a big deal. With a single radiator RS/GS I'd probably want maximum cooling.

Spyder Garage

Default Oh Yeah..!!

The RT has the problem because the radiators are right out front where all the debris hits them even with the stock grills. The aftermarket grills add some defense. The F3 has the radiator to the sides and the older models had the radiators set back further...Usually the front is bent and you can staighten them from the rear pushinf a small plastic piece through....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    The RT has the problem because the radiators are right out front where all the debris hits them even with the stock grills. The aftermarket grills add some defense. The F3 has the radiator to the sides and the older models had the radiators set back further...Usually the front is bent and you can staighten them from the rear pushinf a small plastic piece through....
    Yeah the RT loves to collect leaves and twigs and rocks! I might revisit Pierre's nice grills over at canamspyderaccessories.com. He has a video, doesn't look to hard.

Steve

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's just GOT to be a story hidden within the O.P.'s question...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bob, if there is a hidden story about bent fins, I would Iike to know too. Thanks goodness warranty is taking care of them.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad to that that also.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruthie View Post
    Bob, if there is a hidden story about bent fins, I would Iike to know too. Thanks goodness warranty is taking care of them.
    That just adds to the curiosity.

Almost every "radiator" ever built has some spots where the cooling fins are bent a little......and that includes the inside and outside units of your homes air conditioner(s).

I for one would like to know how extensive the damage was, because it is DAMAGE and not a "defect" most likely.

Spyder Garage

I guess I am at a loss as to why this is a concern. As has been stated all radiators/cooling systems have bent fins. The fins are usually very thin and of a very malleable materiel and thus are easily bent,sometimes it seems just from the force of air going thru them. Like the old song DOA "we were flying low and hit something solid in the air"

Is your Spyder overheating?,Running hot?Are you concerned because this is not something you've seen before? Nice that you have a good dealer to take care of you.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Once again HF to the rescue.......

If you have bent fins it makes it hard to swim. However, it your spyder's radiator has bent or damaged fins your local friendly Harbor Freight store sells a multi sized radiator fin comb for just a few bucks to solve that problem. I have one and I've used it many times (not on my spyder yet) and it's a super handy little tool worth many times over what it actually costs. If HF doesn't have one Google "radiator fin combs."

Spyder Garage

Once you get the fins straightened out--you might try looking into the KOTT (keep out the trash) grills offered by Spyderpops. Have these on my 2014 and they work great.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red