Spyder Garage

Default Remove engine ecu

Good afternoon, what exactly do I have to do to remove my enginge ecu? Just the panel or the mirror too?

Snows starting to melt here in chicagoland after getting blasted. Can't wait. Thanks Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

On my F3-S the ECU is behind the left side body panel. It is mounted with 3 10mm bolts that have locktite (Grrr) can be a bit fussy to get to the top and forward bolts. The top has to be done with a wrench vs socket. The two wiring loom connectors are a bit tricky to disconnect. You have to push in at one edge of the base of the connector then the latch rotates and you must rotate it all the way down until you hear it click. Very important! Otherwise you will not get them off.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

It's behind the L side panel, the one that says "Rotax" on it. Engine off. Remove the two connectors at the bottom and the three Torx bolts holding ECM to frame.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The 2014's & newer are fairly easy & might take as little as 10 minutes to remove! Easy as!! For 2012's & older, it's not much more difficult...

However, if you've got a 2013 RT that's a whole different ball game!! Those are fairly diffucult to get at, let alone remove, cos their ECU is sandwiched up front underneath the remote battery terminals & behind the front cross member that the frunk hangs off but in front of the engine & all the air intake ducting!! And those 10mm screws are aimed back away from where you can get at them... plus they are about 25 mm long & on 2 of them the 'extraction space' with everything else remaining in place is only about 15-18mm!! Pulling the air inlet trunking from in front of the engine out entirely & lifting the headlight assy makes it a lot easier to get the ECU out, but doing that does take some fiddling & time & makes for a whole lot of frustration......
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-14-2018 at 06:06 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=JayBros;1336280]It's behind the L side panel, the one that says "Rotax" on it. Engine off. Remove the two connectors at the bottom and the three Torx bolts holding ECM to frame.[/QUOTE

I see the small panel with Rotex on it but I dn see any screws on it. I'm attaching 2 pics, hopefully the right ones. I have foot pegs, does it matter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The left panel with CanAm and Rotax on it just pulls off. There are no screws or bolts holding it on. You will find the ecu behind it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kngfsh27 View Post
    The left panel with CanAm and Rotax on it just pulls off. There are no screws or bolts holding it on. You will find the ecu behind it.
    Thanks, that's what I thought and wanted to hear, I just dn want to break anything and I've heard the mirror can be tricky.

Any idea what the rev limit is, I'm going to have it flashed and that's one of the questions. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

When you remove the L side panel look at the small plastic clip on the backside of the top of the panel. When you reinstall the panel be absolutely certain you get it snapped into place on the front body panel. If you don't get snapped in place you can lose the whole side panel at a cost of about $230.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    When you remove the L side panel look at the small plastic clip on the backside of the top of the panel. When you reinstall the panel be absolutely certain you get it snapped into place on the front body panel. If you don't get snapped in place you can lose the whole side panel at a cost of about $230.
    Thanks for the tip. Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Well I got it on and filled her up with 93 octane and took her for a short ride and did not notice much difference-----until I realized the rear wheel was spinning and I got up to 60 real quick and the throttle response is much quicker. Can't wait til I can really take her out for a long ride. Anyone know what to expect mpg wise? Also I thought I read that I might get better traction by lowering the rear psi. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

When I put the panels back on does the solid one or the slotted grill go on 1st. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Hi, can you share what company you used for the ECU flash? Thank you. Daniel

Spyder Garage

Wick It performance

Spyder Garage

I'll be interested to hear what your impressions are of this mod after you get a few more miles on it.

Rick H.

I just noticed you did this back in April! So how has it been going?

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red