Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2016 F3-T radio question

I have a 2016 F3-T and want to know from those that have the factory radio how good
    does it work and can you here the music at highway speeds (70 mph to 80 mph).
    I am not sure if I can justify the $930.00 dollars for this unit until I know for sure it's
    going to do what I want it to.
    Thanks for any info.

Toby
    2020 RTL

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RADIO / STEREO

Quote Originally Posted by bodymanpainter View Post
    I have a 2016 F3-T and want to know from those that have the factory radio how good
    I am not sure if I can justify the $930.00 dollars for this unit until I know for sure it's
    Thanks for any info.

Toby
    ..... Are you planning on adding the factory unit to your currant Spyder ??? .... If so there is an option that is lots less expensive ( $ 150.00 range ) - ie. a SHARK set-up .... Lamont put one on His wifes first F-3 and was very happy with it ..... I personally did this I swapped out the garbage speakers on my 14 RT for 2 ohm JBL's all @ 5.25" ..... the sound is incredible ...... I mention this because I got to hear the F-3 factory system on " Hotglues " F-3 .... I was very impressed, I thought it was Almost equal to mine. ...... There have been lots of complaints about the F-3 antennae and getting good reception ...... Mine was fine after I switched to a Bosche retractable auto antennae ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are always Bluetooth options available...

Although I've abused both of the systems in my RTs (Never going below maximum volume), and although I DID blow out a speaker: I never had trouble hearing the music!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for any info.

Toby
    I am sure that there is a cheaper option for the sounds that you want. But I do have that unit on my 2016 F3T (looks just like yours), and I am very pleased with the sound. It actually sounds better than the one that was on my 2014 RT. And yes, I can hear it at any speeds. But, the radio itself does not pick up stations as good as on the RT. But it doesn't matter since I listen to my ipod anyway.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

We come from an area where reception is interfered with by mountain ranges. Our radios get used when we are enjoying a slow scenic ride and can get reception. Highway cruising just does not work.

Save your money if its a choice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I am sure that there is a cheaper option for the sounds that you want. But I do have that unit on my 2016 F3T (looks just like yours), and I am very pleased with the sound. It actually sounds better than the one that was on my 2014 RT. And yes, I can hear it at any speeds. But, the radio itself does not pick up stations as good as on the RT. But it doesn't matter since I listen to my ipod anyway.

Picking up the local stations is one of my concerns. Thanks for the info, I will have to check out the Shark system in one if the other
    replies.

Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..... Are you planning on adding the factory unit to your currant Spyder ??? .... If so there is an option that is lots less expensive ( $ 150.00 range ) - ie. a SHARK set-up .... Lamont put one on His wifes first F-3 and was very happy with it ..... I personally did this I swapped out the garbage speakers on my 14 RT for 2 ohm JBL's all @ 5.25" ..... the sound is incredible ...... I mention this because I got to hear the F-3 factory system on " Hotglues " F-3 .... I was very impressed, I thought it was Almost equal to mine. ...... There have been lots of complaints about the F-3 antennae and getting good reception ...... Mine was fine after I switched to a Bosche retractable auto antennae ...... Mike
    I was thinking about that, but I will check out the Shark system. Really don't want to waste $930.00 on something I won't be
    happy with. Thanks for the info.

Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Default SHARK STEREO

I was thinking about that, but I will check out the Shark system. Really don't want to waste $930.00 on something I won't be
    happy with. Thanks for the info.

Toby
    You can find two & four speaker systems , up to about 1200watts power on E-bay ............I had one on my GS and I swapped the speakers for JBL - 2ohm speakers and the sound improved 200% .... I did have to trim the speaker frame to fit in the Shark pod but it was minor .....Be advised the radio for the Shark isn't really good , but I only used with my MP-3 player .........good luck ...... Mike

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Picking up the local stations is one of my concerns. Thanks for the info, I will have to check out the Shark system in one if the other
    replies.

Toby
    I would like to mention, it does pick up local stations, just not as well as my RT did. Could it be due to the shorter antenna? I don't know, but it still worked pretty good. I just know that I used mostly my Ipod for sounds through the audio system.
    I did, however have one of the shark audio systems on my Suzuki Boulevard M109. I also had marine speakers mounted inside my corbin bags. But the radio on it was also very lacking.
    Here you can see the speakers mounted on the handle bars and the bag mounted speakers.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default JBL speakers

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    You can find two & four speaker systems , up to about 1200watts power on E-bay ............I had one on my GS and I swapped the speakers for JBL - 2ohm speakers and the sound improved 200% .... I did have to trim the speaker frame to fit in the Shark pod but it was minor .....Be advised the radio for the Shark isn't really good , but I only used with my MP-3 player .........good luck ...... Mike
    Where did you find/buy the JBL 5 1/4 2 ohm speakers and what was the part number? Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default JBL -2ohm SPEAKERS

Quote Originally Posted by donrokon View Post
    Where did you find/buy the JBL 5 1/4 2 ohm speakers and what was the part number? Thanks
    I did a search on E-bay.... .you will need TWO pair/ sets .... these are GTO 508c speakers orig sold for $260 pr/set ...... the item #'s 191831436820 $ 87.00 this is the best price and they have TWO pr. or #282032666945 $99.99 they only have one pr. .......... Since this model has been upgraded by JBL they no longer make them ..... so you are getting a HUGH discount..... Have you read any of my posts about doing the swap ??? ..... You can see pics / info on member " beadaholic " Mod page ... Her name is Laura ...... you can PM me for more info ......Mike . PS I wouldn't wait on this, you can only buy left-over stock ( but they are New not USED speakers )
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-09-2018 at 07:41 PM.