Spyder Garage

Default Looking for some advice.

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for a few months and am thankful for all the info this forum provides. The wife and I have been planning to buy an RT in March, but a local Motorsports dealer is going out of business.

They have a 2014 RT-L for $16999 with 10k miles and a 2013 RT-S for $13999 with 6500 miles. The wife and I plan to play a little good cop bad cop and see how low we can get these machines for.

The dealer says they will send whatever doesn't sell to dealer auction. I know the nada values but was wondering what you all thought would be a great price for both individually. We can't swing 2 besides my wife has no desire to learn to ride on anything but the pillion.

We aren't planning to spend more than $16k but would like to keep our costs down as much as possible. We are in our mid 30s and this is our first toy after working our tails off buying a couple of investment properties and my stent in the Army.

Thanks for any and all advice,

Josh
    Last edited by Ghostmedic; 02-08-2018 at 06:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

I don't know what things cost unless I'm buying it.
    I can say this the 2014 has the 1330 3 cyl engine and the 2013 has the 998 2 cyl engine.
    Everything else being equal I would buy the 2014

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default buying a spyder

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostmedic View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for a few months and am thankful for all the info this forum provides. The wife and I have been planning to buy an RT in March, but a local Motorsports dealer is going out of business.

They have a 2014 RT-L for $16999 with 10k miles and a 2013 RT-S for $13999 with 6500 miles. The wife and I plan to play a little good cop bad cop and see how low we can get these machines for.

The dealer says they will send whatever doesn't sell to dealer auction. I know the nada values but was wondering what you all thought would be a great price for both individually. We can't swing 2 besides my wife has no desire to learn to ride on anything but the pillion.

We aren't planning to spend more than $16k but would like to keep our costs down as much as possible. We are in our mid 30s and this is our first toy after working our tails off buying a couple of investment properties and my stent in the Army.

Thanks for any and all advice,..... Bad Deal the 13 is underpowered for the RT , and it has the NO LONGER MADE V-twin engine and has much lower retail value ......... The 14 is over-priced for a USED RT ..... Do yourself a favor and Check on-line @ IMOTORSPORTS for what they have in stock ..... great dealer plus they will ship it to for FREE ..... they have a Banner Ad on the Home Page .....good luck ,,,,,, Mike

Josh
    ....see above in Red

Spyder Garage

Default Agreed

I too would like the 1330 for the better maintenance schedule, mpg, and the 6 speed tranny.

I just don't know if it's $2500 better.

Thanks for the reply.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....see above in Red
    Blueknight,

I have been watching imotorsports, and if I can't get a great deal here that is where I will most likely be purchasing. They seem like a great company and thanks for the heads up.

Spyder Garage

Call Jason at Imotors 630-529-5200

Spyder Garage

What would each of those cost to buy new?? The depreciation from new to their current selling prices looks to be a bit out of whack, doesn't it?

Still, altho I personally prefer the 2013 V-twin over the 2014 1330, you are looking at an 'almost entry level' 2013 RT-S vs a top of the line 2014 RT-L, so considering that PLUS the motor upgrade, it probably isn't a fair comparison on anything except at the most basic 'hit on your pocket' level!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Blueknight,

I have been watching imotorsports, and if I can't get a great deal here that is where I will most likely be purchasing. They seem like a great company and thanks for the heads up.
    I got mine from them in September of 2016. I got a great deal and they helped me all the way thru the process. (630)529-5200 Try to take one for a test drive. Some people have switched from the RT to the F3 because of stuff being adjustable and the different riding position.
    Last edited by SteveLaoyster; 02-08-2018 at 07:22 PM.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default I plan to attempt to talk the dealer down.

I'm actually glad they don't seem to depreciate that much.
    I'm more looking for how much I can talk these people down. I'm aware you all don't know what this dealers circumstances are, but was hoping someone would have an idea of what these trykes might go for at auction so I'd have a number to start with. I'd like the 2014 but if I can get the 2013 for $10 k I'd go with that. Or if I could get the 14 down to $12-13 k I would go with that.

Thanks for all the advice.

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

As a lover of the V-twin I can see the writing on the wall and as you will see the recommendations will mostly be go for the triple. If your new to bikes I have to agree but as Mike stated there are better deals out there...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default 1330

nuff said....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

........ I'd like the 2014 but if I can get the 2013 for $10 k I'd go with that. Or if I could get the 14 down to $12-13 k I would go with that......
    Go ahead & make the offer - they can only either accept, counter offer, or say No, in which case you already know where else you can get a good deal - so whatever they do you get a good deal!! But you do hafta make the offer first!

Check out the 4 Sale section here, there's some good insight into what prices sell Spyders & what prices leave them on the market there - there's even a pretty nice looking 2013 RT PLUS a trailer for the same sort of dollars as those two are listed at - maybe you should make an offer on that?! But whatever way you look at it, you gotta be in it to win it, & that means you need to make an offer!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks everyone!!!

Thank you for all the insight. I haven't ridden 2 wheels since I was 19 and got ran off the highway, but used to ride 4 wheeler, dirt bikes, and my grandpa used to let me ride and work on a Harley 50 he owned.

I like the f3 but my wife is 5' 10" and wasn't comfortable on the back.

I lean toward the 1330, and am fully willing to walk if the dealer doesn't want to make a deal, and if that's the case will most likely call Jason at imotorsports.

That being said I will update you all with what I find out and when and what I end up getting.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 vs 2013

STAY AWAY FROM THE 2013, THEY ARE JUNK COMPARED TO THE 2014, ATLEAST MY EXPERIENCE. I HAVE OWNED BOTH, RUN VERY FAST AND HARD AWAY FROM THE 2013, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON THE 2013, YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RUN, RUN, RUN, RUN AWAY FROM THE 13 MODEL.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default IMOTORSPORTS

Thank you for all the insight. I haven't ridden 2 wheels since I was 19 and got ran off the highway, but used to ride 4 wheeler, dirt bikes, and my grandpa used to let me ride and work on a Harley 50 he owned.

I like the f3 but my wife is 5' 10" and wasn't comfortable on the back.

I lean toward the 1330, and am fully willing to walk if the dealer doesn't want to make a deal, and if that's the case will most likely call Jason at imotorsports.

That being said I will update you all with what I find out and when and what I end up getting.
    Ghost .... As I said above .... just go to the IMOTORSPORTS banner AD on the Home Page here ...... You can see every Spyder they have for Sale NEW & USED ....... then make a deal with Jason .......Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Either one would be a good bike. The NADA low retail for the 2014 RT-L is $13,360 for Ohio zip code 43001, with nothing added for extras. If you're pretty confident he will be going to auction with it then offer him $12,000 or $12,500 and come up slowly from there. I doubt he'll do any better at auction, plus he'll lose the auctioneer's cut. In fact, have a check already made out to them for the $12,000 or $12,500 plus sales tax if he has to collect it. Take care of the DMV stuff yourself, and maybe even the sales tax there. You might have a second check in your pocket for a bit more money. Make sure you've got financing lined up ahead of time so it'll only take a couple of days to cover the check. And let him know the check won't be good until you've got the money in the account. At that point you could swap it for a cashier's check. If he knows you are dead serious and have the money ready to give him he'll be a lot more likely to take what you offer. If you tactfully make it clear his choice is take the money or you walk, you put him into a tough spot. If he lets you walk, then put some cash or an additional check on the table.

Read him carefully. You'll figure out fairly soon how willing he is to negotiate. Some sales people are hard set on their price and won't budge, and you should be able to figure that out fairly quickly. Years ago I bought my 2005 Maxima for what I wanted. I walked into the dealership just before closing on Saturday evening. After a test drive and the salesman said, "Here's what we can do," I put the check and the title for the trade-in on the desk and said, "Here's what I'm willing to do! All I have to do is sign them!" A half hour later I drove the new Maxima home!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default You can find better deals

I bought a brand new 2017 RT for a little over $17K. Like everyone here has recommended go to ipowersports and check out their deals. Seriously.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default craigslist

seen this on Kansas City craigslist - seem awful cheap 2014 Can-Am Spyder RT limited - $6900 hide this posting unhide < image 1 of 1 >

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map)

can am spyder rt limited

condition: excellent
    fuel: gas
    transmission: automatic

QR Code Link to This Post

Immaculate, new condition 2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-L

6.232 miles
    Fully equipped for touring
    Driver backrest
    Navigation (Garmin 660)
    Automatic transmission (paddle shifter)
    Optional hand brake
    Optional highway pegs
    Optional LED lighting (incl headlights)
    Custom paint (see photo)
    CB/AM/FM
    Touring suitcase (fits front trunk)
    Optional performance pipe (not installed)
    Electric windshield
    Optional "Back Off" brake LED
    Still under factory warranty the Kansas City craigslist.
    2016 RT Special Series

rear saddlebag LED lights
    Doc's belt tensioner
    underside LED lighting
    Baja Ron swaybar
    TricLED frt A-arm led's
    TricLed led front skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smoof View Post
    seen this on Kansas City craigslist - seem awful cheap 2014 Can-Am Spyder RT limited - $6900
    TOO cheap to be true . . .somethings gotta give.
    "Mary Ann" Pearl White 2016 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    BRP Backrest
    Showchrome Armrests
    Spyderpops Belt Guard

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you are set on a RT, you can realisticly get a 2014 and up for $14k easily. I sold my 2014 with 2 years of warranty left for $14k. It was the base RT, but had a load of extras including the OEM foglights. It was sold in 2 days. The first person to see it bought it.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I would purchase the 2014 for the benefits mentioned. One thing you should have the dealer check is whether or not any warranty is left. If so you will be able to purchase a BEST warranty for the balance of 5 years. The reason I mention this is I purchased my 2014 in March of 2015 and received a 3 year warranty this March I will purchase an additional 2 year BEST to make up the 5 year total allowed for the BEST warranty.

Spyder Garage

The $17K price for the 2014 is a bit high. I am thinking $14K is more realistic. I have a 2011 for sale for $11K with 28K miles on it. Perfect--in every way. There is an ad back in the archives if interested.

If making a choice between 998 and 1330 engine--the 1330 wins hands down. I have one of each so can compare differences pretty good.

Good luck on your hunt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smoof View Post
    seen this on Kansas City craigslist - seem awful cheap 2014 Can-Am Spyder RT limited - $6900 hide this posting unhide < image 1 of 1 >

can am spyder rt limited

condition: excellent
    fuel: gas
    transmission: automatic

QR Code Link to This Post

Immaculate, new condition 2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-L

6.232 miles
    Fully equipped for touring
    Driver backrest
    Navigation (Garmin 660)
    Automatic transmission (paddle shifter)
    Optional hand brake
    Optional highway pegs
    Optional LED lighting (incl headlights)
    Custom paint (see photo)
    CB/AM/FM
    Touring suitcase (fits front trunk)
    Optional performance pipe (not installed)
    Electric windshield
    Optional "Back Off" brake LED
    Still under factory warranty the Kansas City craigslist.
    This is a scam - if you check out multiple craigslist cities it is listed multiple places - Louisville, Indianapolis, and a dozen others.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue