Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Anyone fitted an oil catch can? Help would be great....

wanted to ask those who have installed one, as i always was thinking that my front valve cover gasket is my problem but now starting to think that this oil is coming from an air box as i been to used bikes dealer saw one 2012 RS with 2500 km on it and 2013 RSS with 2900 km and they were leaking oil same spot as mine it runs down on the engine and in between cylinder and drips on the ground from the gear selector shaft.
    So i've decided to install an oil catch can but cannot find any pics on the forum or google what type size of oil catch can to use and where is the best placement for it. if someones got some pics please share . thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Even if you are able to accomplish this, it will do exactly what that is beneficial ??

I think nothing.

Spyder Garage

Default Crank Case Breather Bypass Filter

This one works very well for me and those who have tried it. It is not a Catch Can as they accumulate the captured oil and you have to drain them from time to time. I like this method because first, it works. 2nd, there is virtually zero maintenance and 3rd, it returns the oil to where it belongs, the crank case.

It's also very cheap to do with readily available parts and it is pretty easy to do as well.

Plus, with a real catch can, you continue to lose oil until the oil level gets down to where you stop losing oil through the crank case vent. With this little invention, you can run your oil level where it is supposed to be, full! You may burn some, but that's going to happen with the 998 V-Twin motor no matter what you do. And if your motor is burning oil, don't you want to start at the full mark instead of low on the dip stick?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ighlight=catch

Oh, and that's BAJARON by the way. A lot of people have trouble with the name...
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-06-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

It was a real issue with me until I put one of these into the crankcase vent line to the airbox. I removed the filter that came with it and put a small roll of green open cell foam into the glass cylinder.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-6...ZZ-Fz2&vxp=mtr
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Is this just like the BajaRon implementation? I don't see how the oil runs back...won't it just get stuck in the foam?

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    It was a real issue with me until I put one of these into the crankcase vent line to the airbox. I removed the filter that came with it and put a small roll of green open cell foam into the glass cylinder.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-6...ZZ-Fz2&vxp=mtr

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dickgi View Post
    Is this just like the BajaRon implementation? I don't see how the oil runs back...won't it just get stuck in the foam?
    Gravity is a wonderful thing. Not only a good idea but the law.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dickgi View Post
    It is important to use OPEN CELL foam. Otherwise, closed cell foam will get saturated and defeat the purpose. As mentioned, gravity takes care of returning captured (clean by the way) oil back to the crank case.

If you need some, PM me and I will send you a chunk. Otherwise you will need to purchase a lifetime supply of it!

Direction or orientation of the filter does not matter with this setup. It only matters if you are using it as a fuel filter.

You won't get any additional condensation using this little device. In normal use, the Spyder engine oil gets above the boiling point of water. This water vapor passes through the open foam filtration in this little device and exits, as it should, through the throttle bodies.

This really is a one stop fix all for the oil in the air filter issue.

Have fun!~
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...