Thread: camera

Spyder Garage

Default camera

I'm looking for a dash cam and a way to affix it to the spyder.
    Any suggestions

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm going to be using a RT Multi-Mount dash bracket with RAM arms and mounting hardware to mount a Garmin Virb Elite. I like the low slung camera rather than the boxy GoPro's. I use an ION Pro on my helmet with VHB mount stuck to right side of helmet. Easy to turn on and off an it vibrates to let you know its on/off.

https://www.tricledusa.com/automatic
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I've had cameras that I mounted to the dash, and also just under the left air deflector.
    I'm finding that the best place to mount the camera is on my helmet.
    It's higher so it gets more of a view, and also, I can see more of what I'm looking at.
    Mounting it to the dash, all I see is road and hedges.
    I don't see any of the marvelous scenery. Mounting on my helmet gives me better recording of my ride.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. I'm sure there will be someone on this site who is more than happy to let me know if I am.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I've had cameras that I mounted to the dash, and also just under the left air deflector.
    I'm finding that the best place to mount the camera is on my helmet.
    It's higher so it gets more of a view, and also, I can see more of what I'm looking at.
    Mounting it to the dash, all I see is road and hedges.
    I don't see any of the marvelous scenery. Mounting on my helmet gives me better recording of my ride.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. I'm sure there will be someone on this site who is more than happy to let me know if I am.
    I agree. It gives dynamic viewing and not static (in one direction) viewing.

Spyder Garage

I have 2 problems with putting a camera on my helmet.
    90% of the time I don't wear one.
    The other problem is I have turrettes Syndrom. The camera will be going everywhere but down the road

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    The other problem is I have turrettes Syndrom. The camera will be going everywhere but down the road
    I wouldn't worry too much about that ahh-cool, cos that's EXACTLY what many of the vids from most wearing a helmet mounted camera usually look like.... bouncing all over the place & pretty much un-viewable!

Most people simply don't realise how much they actually DO move their heads while they are walking, driving, or riding; so until they critically view one of their own vids they generally have no idea of how much they ARE actually moving and throwing the recorded image around, and even the best of stabilisation programs simply can't iron out the constant head waggling that most do! And sadly, despite many who do view their own footage & reject it because it does fly all over the place as they turn back & forth, look down at the dash then back up at thed road & repeat, or even just waggle their heads from side to side, maybe in order to ryde safely, there are still a fair few who view their own footage before posting but then only see it thru rose tinted glasses and post it up anyway!!

It's a real art to slow the panning of a handheld camera down enough to limit the tendency to make every viewer throw up due to the rapid panning & sudden sweeps or dips that comes with moving the point of focus, which is why there are only a limited number of really great camera operators; and while there are some 'not so great operators' who do manage to pan, move, & zoom appropriately with handheld cameras, I've yet to see too many who have been really successful in slowing their movements enough with a head mounted camera, altho there are some who do manage to successfully cobble together the less nauseating sections of their footage & produce some viewable vids! But seriously, there are only a very few who manage to produce good head mounted camera footage! (& luckily, we have some of them recording clips here!) Still, you wouldn't be alone with your head movements adversely impacting the recorded image; in fact, you may well be a heap better than most because you recognise that you potentially have a problem & will likely try to counter that or edit it out!! However, I reckon you will be most likely to produce good & readily viewable footage with a body mounted camera, either your body or the bikes!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-05-2018 at 05:25 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I've looked at quite a few pictures and videos on here, and there are two people that come to mind that I would ask about cameras, and shooting (videos and stills that is). One is OJ UK, and the other is from Texas, and I can't remember his name. All I know is the one from Texas has more money tied up in his cameras and equipment than I will ever have in the bank. You can also recognize him b/c he looks like he's 30, and he is riding an RT. What's all that about?

I found the name I was looking for for the youngster on an RT. It is tehrlich.
    Last edited by wyliec; 02-05-2018 at 07:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

I use a Garmin dash cam in my truck I've used it on the bike a few times.

Spyder Garage

Default I read on here...

Not long ago there was a thread on here about cameras. One poster had a camera
    mounted on the dash right behind the windshield. It also had a rear view camera
    mounted above the license plate. That's what I'd like to have.
    I hope he, or she, posts this again.
    Chuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CMA/IBA_rider View Post
    I use a Garmin dash cam in my truck I've used it on the bike a few times.
    I also have a dash cam in my RV, I don't know how to mount it on the bike

Spyder Garage

I also have a dash cam in my RV, I don't know how to mount it on the bike
    Here's a mount for an RT that is sold by a site sponsor:

http://spyderstore.com/index.php?rou...&product_id=51

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Camera

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I've looked at quite a few pictures and videos on here, and there are two people that come to mind that I would ask about cameras, and shooting (videos and stills that is). One is OJ UK, and the other is from Texas, and I can't remember his name. All I know is the one from Texas has more money tied up in his cameras and equipment than I will ever have in the bank. You can also recognize him b/c he looks like he's 30, and he is riding an RT. What's all that about?

I found the name I was looking for for the youngster on an RT. It is tehrlich.
    " Tanga.com " just sent me an E-mail from their last Ad for a camera similar to Go-Pro for less than $25.00 ....... Mike

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Take a look at the SENA Prism Tube it mounts on your helmet and comes with everything
    needed, or you can mount it any place. I have one on my Honda my Spyder and my car.
    I have them on sale CALL FOR PRICE 209-887-3283
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Any suggestions

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Take a look at the SENA Prism Tube it mounts on your helmet and comes with everything
    needed, or you can mount it any place. I have one on my Honda my Spyder and my car.
    I have them on sale CALL FOR PRICE 209-887-3283
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    Problem is I don't normally wear a helmet

Spyder Garage

Ahh cool, Check out Spyder TV Pierre's vids and mounts, He's got some great vids of Road to the Sun and Beartooth Highway from his spyder. But I got the RT Dashmount and some RAM mount components.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That is what is nice about the Prism you can mount it anyplace. I even tried it on
    my left lower A arm just for fun took some cool vids from down low.

Problem is I don't normally wear a helmet

Spyder Garage

I made a bracket that bridges the 2 screws just behind the windshield. It picks up a little vibration but not too bad. I just don't like the height, it's not like the view at eye level. I want to try mounting it the the top of the windshield. My concern with that placement is vibration and wind buffeting.

camera mount.jpg
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Default camera's

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Chuck 54 View Post
    Not long ago there was a thread on here about cameras. One poster had a camera
    mounted on the dash right behind the windshield. It also had a rear view camera
    mounted above the license plate. That's what I'd like to have.
    I hope he, or she, posts this again.
    Chuck
    I think I might be one of the people your talking about I have a 2 camera dvr player that's mounted in the frunk and the camera's are mounted on the dash at the windshield and then on my license plate on the rear. The company is Called INNOVV.com and it's out of china, I have 2 of their units one on the bike one on a truck. Some people have problems with the units memory card failing sometimes so it doesn't write to card very well....I haven't had this problem yet but the camera's work very well for what I need so far

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

20160504_141933.jpg20160504_112906.jpg20160504_112857.jpgI went the cheap way and got the ion camera with a handlebar mount for under $40.00. It holds a 32gig SD card which lasts about 2.5 hours. Not the greatest but did what I wanted it to do incase of accidents and paid off just recently with an unsecured Waste Management load. This little piece of debris cost $1800.00 worth of damage that was paid in full thanks to the video. Well worth the 40.00 camera.

Last edited by Tazzel; 02-06-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    20160504_141933.jpg20160504_112906.jpg20160504_112857.jpgI went the cheap way and got the ion camera with a handlebar mount for under $40.00. It holds a 32gig SD card which lasts about 2.5 hours. Not the greatest but did what I wanted it to do incase of accidents and paid off just recently with an unsecured Waste Management load. This little piece of debris cost $1800.00 worth of damage that was paid in full thanks to the video. Well worth the 40.00 camera.

That's an amazingly clear, stable video image, particularly considering it's from such an inexpensive camera and shooting through the windshield. I imagine that for stability, mounting on the handlebars is probably the best location, as the rider's arms are acting like shock absorbers. Interesting. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Dash mount system works great for me

Any suggestions
    http://spyderstore.com/index.php?rou...tegory&path=60

Mounted the arm and two 1" balls. Put GPS on one side and camera on the other. Bought a cheap $45 dash cam with rear camera from Amazon, epoxied it to a mount and it works great. Like the rear camera for insurance, but thinking a GoPro knock-off might be next (front only).

Looks through the windscreen, just keep that area clean

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. I'm running out of time ryding and I do want
    some recordings of my favorite roads in Ohio so I can replay later in life.
    Thanks again!
    Buckeye Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Madincalif View Post
    I think I might be one of the people your talking about I have a 2 camera dvr player that's mounted in the frunk and the camera's are mounted on the dash at the windshield and then on my license plate on the rear. The company is Called INNOVV.com and it's out of china, I have 2 of their units one on the bike one on a truck. Some people have problems with the units memory card failing sometimes so it doesn't write to card very well....I haven't had this problem yet but the camera's work very well for what I need so far

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Madincalif View Post

I have this one as well on my RT-S... Also have one on my BMW GS as well as car. The company INNOVV, makes cameras for both motorcycles and cars. The cameras I have are the K1 systems.
    Bruce A. Brown #164572
    MSF 2-wheel Instructor
    H-D Riding Academy Instructor
    S/TEP 3-wheel Instructor

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

Spyder Garage

Default Dashcam for Spyder

Any suggestions
    Check out this link for a dash cam. It could be what you're looking for:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/innovv-c5-camera-system review/

Spyder Garage

Default I HAVE

the Z3, it works well, doesn't cost an arm & leg. I just use the suction cup to the windshield that also works great and doesn't require any additional mounting brackets.

Any suggestions