Spyder Garage

Default Alaska and the Dalton Highway

I'm going to Alaska this year from May to September. I'm thinking of taking my Spyder to the Arctic Ocean VIA the Dalton Highway.
    Any comments on this.
    I was told that Yazz did this and would really like to get his and everybody elses input

Spyder Garage

Default Ahh...!!

This one is for AKspyderman ...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    I'm going to Alaska this year from May to September. I'm thinking of taking my Spyder to the Arctic Ocean VIA the Dalton Highway.
    Any comments on this.
    I was told that Yazz did this and would really like to get his and everybody elses input
    The NtA group left their Spyders in Fairbanks and took a tour van. Entry is not permitted onto the oilfields for national security reasons. The tours are exempt and make the necessary reservations.

Yazz did the Arctic Circle ride. Not sure if she saw the ocean at the top of the Dalton.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I've been up there on two wheels. I would not take a bike up there that I would want to keep. The first thing you will lose is your ABS. You'll never get the bike clean again. It is a fun Road. Beautiful scenery. Very little pavement a lot of dirt and gravel sections. The dirt sections are smoother than the interstates are down here in the lower 48. If you go it will be a trip you will never forget. The road stopped at Deadhorse
    Last edited by CMA/IBA_rider; 02-05-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default The Dalton Hwy (The Haul Road)

I have also ridden the Dalton, and agree with I CMA/IMA_Rider. Do to the length of response I have sent you a private msg. (pm)
    2015 F3S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CMA/IBA_rider View Post
    ... The first thing you will lose is your ABS. ...
    CMA/IBA_rider, Could you elaborate. Does this apply to just the Dalton or any dirt roads?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default The Dalton Hwy (The Haul Road)

I would apply this to any of the many non-paved highways in the North: Dalton, Denali, Taylor, Top-of-the-World, Petersville, Dempster, Campbell, CANOL, etc. These roads are not maintained like a gravel road in the midwest. These are industrial grade roads with gravel, large rocks, sand, dirt and mud when it rains. Most are only a 3-track road, you share your driver side wheel track with oncoming traffic. Between the wheel tracks the windrow of gravel, rocks and dirt usually run 6 to 10 inches deep if a grader hasn't been over it recently. This get interesting when there are no shoulders and the oncoming traffic is an 18-wheeler doing 60+ MPH.
    2015 F3S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Default Alaska!

Any comments on this.
    I understand that numerous riders have traveled the highway, trikes and conventional motorcycles. That's an adventure, on most riders bucket list. I wonder though how practical it would be to take the ferry from Bellingham to Skagway, and do a bit of riding up there? Thus saving the Spyder from the rigors of the highway.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Alaska

Man, Sounds Like a BIG Adventure. Plan Well and enjoy the Trip.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Rode the Top of the World Highway several years ago. 80 miles of gravel road that was in fairly good shape. If there was a bad spot on the road, an orange flag was placed at the edge of the road to warn you to slow down. Started a trip to the Arctic Circle and after about 20 miles we decided to turn back. Maybe it hadn't been graded lately, if it is graden at all, but without a doubt, it was the worst road I have ever been on. If I was to try it again, I would rent a bike. Don't know if it's still the same but, at the time, you could only rent a bike in Anchorage. You could not go by yourself and once you crossed the Yukon River, you were on your own. They would not come for service if you had a problem.

Spyder Garage

Taking the "adventurous" roads in Alaska means sharing them with big trucks. Sometimes the truckers get irritated with the "flies" and go out of their way to swat them. Give trucks the right of way if they want it.

Alaska is covered with "glacial till" the fine white dust that gets into everything when the wind blows. Every spring, the Mat Su valley is covered with the dust. Those with asthma suffer a lot. Riding the gravel roads will coat your bike from the inside out. I have heard of brake systems failing because the dust built up in the brake release switch. The bike thought the driver was riding the brake and promptly went into limp mode. I know of two visitors that experienced this problem.

A worthy adventure for those willing to take it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Rider Magazine article

Sounds like an ahh-some trip!

Rider Magazine ran an article on this last summer...
    http://ridermagazine.com/2017/08/24/...alton-highway/

Links to some of their older articles...
    http://ridermagazine.com/tag/alaska-motorcycle-rides/
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    Sounds like an ahh-some trip!

Rider Magazine ran an article on this last summer...
    http://ridermagazine.com/2017/08/24/...alton-highway/

Links to some of their older articles...
    http://ridermagazine.com/tag/alaska-motorcycle-rides/
    Good articles and the first reinforces what I said about the trucks. Note: mostly adventure bikes on the Dalton. The Wing rider was very brave--IMO. Note the beautiful shade of grey that the Wing is turning into.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I only did the Cassiar Hwy in NW British Columbia & that was in a in a Toyota Highlander. But that was enough for me. The vehicle looked like it had been dipped in liquid chocolate/mud at the end of it. RVs towing cars were unrecognizable as they were encased in mud.

It beggars the imagination as to what a Spyder/motorcycle + rider would look like after a few hours on a liquid mud road. At least I could put the Highlander through a carwash.

Yet 2 wheelers do travel the Alaska dirt roads. They carry a front & rear spare tire & I guess pick a time when the roads are dry.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

In the North, the term "highway" is relative. Many are in worse shape that the worst gravel road you can find in the Lower 48. The calcium chloride stuck on my F650GS is like concrete when it dries, and it is highly corrosive. Weather can also be a factor. The snow picture is about 3 miles south of Chicken, and taken on 19 June. It was a bad day to be on 2 wheels. If on a Spyder, which wheel would you run in the snow berm? This is a good picture of a 3-track road. Visualize that the berms between the wheel tracks are rock and gravel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 F3S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Alright, Alright, I give up. I got my new bike today and I can't get myself to destroy it on purpose.
    I am definitely going even if I have to rent a car

Spyder Garage

Alright, Alright, I give up. I got my new bike today and I can't get myself to destroy it on purpose.
    Adventure type bikes are available as rentals in Anchorage. Maybe some also in Fairbanks. Do some checking there.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Adventure type bikes are available as rentals in Anchorage. Maybe some also in Fairbanks. Do some checking there.
    Thanks I will look into it when I get there

Spyder Garage

Ah jeeze, the road to the Arctic Circle is nicely paved with a gas station between Fairbanks and the Arctic Circle monment. You can make it there and back in a day. Once you get passed Cold Foot, the road gets rough.

Don't let those hairy-scarums deter you from your goal.

Been there, done that, got the shirt....
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Ah jeeze, the road to the Arctic Circle is nicely paved with a gas station between Fairbanks and the Arctic Circle monment. You can make it there and back in a day. Once you get passed Cold Foot, the road gets rough.

I saw your post from 2011. Very impressed

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Ah jeeze, the road to the Arctic Circle is nicely paved with a gas station between Fairbanks and the Arctic Circle monument. You can make it there and back in a day. Once you get past Cold Foot, the road gets rough.

Thanks Yazz, and Ahh-cool, and others for sharing. I wanted to do an IBA trip that required your one bike to go to Deadhorse from Key West. Rethinking that, but will at least get to the AC for a pic on the Spyder.
    Will have to consider the San Ysidro to Goose Bay, Labrador UCC paved route.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    CMA/IBA_rider, Could you elaborate. Does this apply to just the Dalton or any dirt roads?
    I do not know. The only dirt and gravel road I've run up there was the Dalton Highway. My guess all the dirt roads would be treated the same.IMAG0421.jpg
    Last edited by CMA/IBA_rider; 02-08-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

I bought a 750 Nighthawk for $2,000. Put a windshield on it with all my electronics a fuel cell and did the ride. Key West Florida to Deadhorse Alaska and back home. Carrie the set of dual sport tires to go on it up in Alaska. Got home took my stuff off of it and 6 hours of detailing it. Sold the bike for $2,100.7475876354_3b17be3e37_o.jpg
    Last edited by CMA/IBA_rider; 02-08-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CMA/IBA_rider View Post
    I bought a 750 Nighthawk for $2,000. Put a windshield on it with all my electronics a fuel cell and did the ride. Key West Florida to Deadhorse Alaska and back home. Carrie the set of dual sport tires to go on it up in Alaska. Got home took my stuff off of it and 6 hours of detailing it. Sold the bike for $2,100.7475876354_3b17be3e37_o.jpg

2020 F3L , Magma Red