Spyder Garage

Default Front wheel vibration?

While riding home from a ride the other day I noticed the right front tire seems to have a vibration.. As going down the road the fender was vibration more than the left one.. Called local shop and they stated they could rebalance for 30 - 45 min of work or I could have the whole bike laser aligned for $165? The bike doesnt pull to either side.. Need just balance or should I throw down and do the Laser Alignment? Called a suggested individual in Georgia and he offered alignment for 100 but it is not laser? Any suggestions which way to go?? Thanks..
    My Ride --->>> 2013 ST-S SE5 <<---

Spyder Garage

If the Spyder is not pulling to one side, tire wear is even, and the steering is not twitchy, you do not need an alignment. If you still have the stock tires, that is your problem. The stock tires are garbage. I just replaced mine with Pirelli's. Pirelli is one of the few companies that have 165-65-14 which should be the stock size for your Spyder. I got mine at a local tire store. The front rims on a Spyder will fit on a regular balancing machine.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Check the balance and the alignment and do the laser alignment. Just so you don't make multiple trips.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default vibes

Quote Originally Posted by vrodrjs View Post
    Check the balance and the alignment and do the laser alignment. Just so you don't make multiple trips.
    .... If you are the type who normally uses $20.00 bills to BBQ you can afford to follow the above advice ... However from what you described and this was an instant vibration, I think it points to loss of a wheel weight... Tire failure is not likely the cause here, because it would have to be Catastrophic in nature. It is possible that a belt in the tread of the tire has broken ( especially if it's a Kenda ) but not likely......Alignment is rarely the cause of front end vibrations. And the shop that even suggested an Alignment is either in-competent or they just like ripping folks off ..... I would check the inside of both front wheels for loss of weight/s.....good luck .. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... If you are the type who normally uses $20.00 bills to BBQ you can afford to follow the above advice ... However from what you described and this was an instant vibration, I think it points to loss of a wheel weight... Tire failure is not likely the cause here, because it would have to be Catastrophic in nature. It is possible that a belt in the tread of the tire has broken ( especially if it's a Kenda ) but not likely......Alignment is rarely the cause of front end vibrations. And the shop that even suggested an Alignment is either in-competent or they just like ripping folks off ..... I would check the inside of both front wheels for loss of weight/s.....good luck .. Mike
    Thank you.. I was really distraught.. Don't have tons of dollars.. Just trying to make the ride fun and safe.. Adding Mods one at a time.. Thanks again and ride safe..

Spyder Garage

I had a similar problem with a vibration. Went through rebalancing and having alignment checked out by my dealer. It landed up being the Kendra tires needed to be replaced even though there was plenty of life let on the treads. Once replaced the vibration ceased to exist. I believe there are previous threads with the similar experience.
    2012 RT-S and 2013 STL

Spyder Garage

Default local auto tire center

took my front tires off my cycle , ( it really had a shimmy at 42 miles per hour ) took them to discount tire center in my area they balanced both for free , one side was right on the right side had 2 weights missing , only cost was time to take tires off and take them to the tire center and put back on ! good riding still ...

Spyder Garage

Default Curious...🤔

All good stuff above. Agree with Mike in that it is not an alignment issue. We have had some ryders that have had the weld fail on the fender braces and the fenders would vibrate quite a bit. Just something else to check
    Last edited by Chupaca; 02-04-2018 at 12:58 AM.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default BAD VIBES

Quote Originally Posted by rkba101 View Post
    Thank you.. I was really distraught.. Don't have tons of dollars.. Just trying to make the ride fun and safe.. Adding Mods one at a time.. Thanks again and ride safe..
    Your welcome .......... let us know if it was a wheel weight or something else .......... Thanks, Mike .........PS my motto is always start with the simplest answer .. before spending lots of money .......

Spyder Garage

Get a laser alignment, or get new front tires.

I had the right front tire shake, ( kendas) then I replaced the front tires with( Continetal Contiproconacts), no shakes. The (Kendas) right front tire had 5 tire weights on it, and it still had shakes. The(Kendas) left front tire did not shake.

I had the bike laser alignment done in 2014. Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 02-04-2018 at 12:45 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Front Tire Vibration

YES, GET the front tires Checked if KENDA.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Out of round or out of balance?

Here's a little write-up I did about tires. If you have the OEM Kendra tires, you may want to read it. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...Tire-Balancing
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default Will let you know..

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Your welcome .......... let us know if it was a wheel weight or something else .......... Thanks, Mike .........PS my motto is always start with the simplest answer .. before spending lots of money .......
    Actually debating on just removing the tire and taking it to a local shop as suggested about since the deal is crap..

Spyder Garage

My new to me Spyder ST-S SE, which I recently bought with 2100 miles on it, had a shimmy at about 58 -63 mph. I made a number of changes including a Bajaron swaybar and links, F3 shocks and a laser alignment. After the laser alignment the shimmy expanded to 60 - 70 mph. Yesterday I removed the stock Kenda tires and installed Federal Formoza AZ01 tires on the front. As others have said, the shimmy is gone. Note: if you have your tires changed be sure to ask the installer to protect the rims from the clamping action of the tire changer. I didn't and almost every spoke of the rims have been marred by the machine.

Spyder Garage

If you have tire shimmy and no pull fix vibration u don't need a alignment.

Spyder Garage

Default SHIMMY ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Get a laser alignment, or get new front tires.

I had the right front tire shake, ( kendas) then I replaced the front tires with( Continetal Contiproconacts), no shakes. The (Kendas) right front tire had 5 tire weights on it, and it still had shakes. The(Kendas) left front tire did not shake.

I had the bike laser alignment done in 2014. Deanna
    , From what the OP said, A Lazer Alignment won't fix/ cure the problem ..... IMHO the Wheels/Tires need to be spun balanced on a machine...... The Kenda tires have shown to be " defective prone "so this can be a real possibility also ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-29-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Just to clarify and FWIW, the shimmy was only one of the issues I had. Although the alignment wasn't too far out, it made a detectable difference in the handling as did the sway bar and the shocks. I also had the balance of the stock tires/wheels checked before changing to the Federal Formoza tires. The remaining vibration I have is due to the drive belt harmonics. I'm hoping DOC will come up with a tensioner for the ST soon.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    If the Spyder is not pulling to one side, tire wear is even, and the steering is not twitchy, you do not need an alignment. If you still have the stock tires, that is your problem. The stock tires are garbage. I just replaced mine with Pirelli's. Pirelli is one of the few companies that have 165-65-14 which should be the stock size for your Spyder. I got mine at a local tire store. The front rims on a Spyder will fit on a regular balancing machine.
    That is a 13 model, would be tough to get those 14 inch tires on 15 inch rims!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.