Thread: Why so quiet?

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Why so quiet?

Hey my enabled friends, why is there so little activity on this page? Most of the riders I know have some kind of physical problem. That's why I ride a Spyder. I look forward to hearing from you folks. What riding problems do you have? How have you overcome them? How has the Spyder changed your life? What's up?
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    Hey my enabled friends, why is there so little activity on this page? Most of the riders I know have some kind of physical problem. That's why I ride a Spyder. I look forward to hearing from you folks. What riding problems do you have? How have you overcome them? How has the Spyder changed your life? What's up? Ride in comfort, John
    John, what page are you referring to? If there's an existing thread, you could just 'bump' it to the top of the 'new posts' rather than start a new one.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    John, what page are you referring to? If there's an existing thread, you could just 'bump' it to the top of the 'new posts' rather than start a new one.
    I check the Enabled Riders every day and see very little activity. I check all the pages, General Discussion, RS, RT Touring,. RT Shop Talk, etc. but don't find much going on with my Enabled friends. Just asking...

Spyder Garage

I am a disabled T-4 Paraplegic that loves to ride my Spyder. I made a wheelchair carrier and put the handbrake on handlebars. I look forward to Spyderfest coming up soon! I like seeing all the different mods people do. I just started being more involved with this forum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jjrk3 View Post
    I am a disabled T-4 Paraplegic that loves to ride my Spyder. I made a wheelchair carrier and put the handbrake on handlebars. I look forward to Spyderfest coming up soon! I like seeing all the different mods people do. I just started being more involved with this forum.
    Hi, I love to see others with physical issues not giving up, but insisting on having as full a life as possible. Never quit, just keep on fighting.
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Spyder Garage

I cannot speak for others, but I suspect that most of us see others with bigger challenges than ours and just remain quiet. But to help keep this going:

In April 2017 I had an orthopedic surgeon "hit me upside the head" with a shot of reality. My right quad is partially atrophied, and continues to atrophy, which had caused me to drop my F650GS a couple of times when leaned to the right. Yes, I was in places that most normal riders won't go. I had almost dropped my R1150R several times at stop signs and red lights. Places that normal riders do go. The doctor had served 3 tours in Vietnam as a medic, has an almost caustic bedside manner, and it didn't help that he is a Goldwing rider. When he described my quad he used old Army language. I told him it didn't sound like medical terms, and his response was that: "No, but it's terms you understand." He told me I had 3 choices: stay in denial and keep riding until I screwed up one of my BMWs and my leg, switch to a sidecar or trike, or quit riding. I went home, got on cycletrader.com and started looking for a sidecar or a trike. I found a 2015 F3S SM6 that had not yet been sold and was being offered at a huge discount, and was only 300 miles away. The only miles it had on it were from Wounded Warrior Parades in the Fort Polk area. I should have asked for pictures. I put a deposit on it over the phone and picked it up 3 days later. The F3S was a great choice. Ryde on!
    2015 F3S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

This is a good post. I was just told by my doctor that I have stage 4 emphysema after my left lung collapsed in January and it could happen again at any time. Plus I have a plate in my left foot that makes it hard to hold up 2 wheels anymore. Plus my wife got tired of me dumping her in parking lots because I couldn't feel my left foot on the ground after riding very long since it would go num. The good thing with the spyder is my wife has her motorcycle license also. This way if something should happen to me she can get us back home or to the e r at the hospital. Or get an ambulance for me and get the bike back to a safe place.

Spyder Garage

There, that's what I'm talking about. We need to talk to each other! Keep it up, this is a great thread. Let's all....
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    I check the Enabled Riders every day and see very little activity. I check all the pages, General Discussion, RS, RT Touring,. RT Shop Talk, etc. but don't find much going on with my Enabled friends. Just asking...
    The "new posts" button would do all that for you......much easier.

Some days there is a lot of other stuff.......but you might find those threads useful/interesting too.

Spyder Garage

Default Cool

Yes we all need to help each other out from time its nice to know what we are all into from time to time. Its nice to have others help with stuff that we have problems with whether enabled or not. There are a lot of good people on this site that can put their brains to work and work out things to help us all at times. You never know the next help needed could be you. Thanks to all the spyder friends on here. Happy trails to us all.

Spyder Garage

OK, I will bite. I got my endorsement in 1975. In 1988 my left leg was amputated below the knee and did not let that stop me for long. 5 years ago I broke my back trying to lift a piano. Stupid move, for sure. That was enough for me to be uncomfortable on two wheels. Last year I bought the F3T. I miss two wheels, but love being in the wind again. I am now losing mobility in all four limbs, but not on the Spyder. It truly keeps me sane as we try to figure out this latest issue.
    I suspect I will soon need to explore mods. For now a throttle rocker works for my lack of grip. And the Spyder works for keeping it all together.

Spyder Garage

Default Enabled

Compared to a lot of you my problem isn't as bad. I am in kidney failure and require dialysis 9 hours every night. I pull a trailer behind my RT for trips lasting up to 7 days as My setup will carry enough dialysis solution to last that long. On longer trips I load the RT into a cargo hauler and that give me the ability to extend my trips for as long as I want. In May I am going on a trip to South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, Utah, and Arizona. Don't slow down until you have to lay down.
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayD View Post
    Compared to a lot of you my problem isn't as bad. I am in kidney failure and require dialysis 9 hours every night. I pull a trailer behind my RT for trips lasting up to 7 days as My setup will carry enough dialysis solution to last that long. On longer trips I load the RT into a cargo hauler and that give me the ability to extend my trips for as long as I want. In May I am going on a trip to South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, Utah, and Arizona. Don't slow down until you have to lay down.
    Good for you my friend. May you have a great trip. Wish I could go with you. Sounds like fun. Happy Trails.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayD View Post
    You are the man!!! Keep on keeping' on.
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    OK, I will bite. I got my endorsement in 1975. In 1988 my left leg was amputated below the knee and did not let that stop me for long. 5 years ago I broke my back trying to lift a piano. Stupid move, for sure. That was enough for me to be uncomfortable on two wheels. Last year I bought the F3T. I miss two wheels, but love being in the wind again. I am now losing mobility in all four limbs, but not on the Spyder. It truly keeps me sane as we try to figure out this latest issue.
    I suspect I will soon need to explore mods. For now a throttle rocker works for my lack of grip. And the Spyder works for keeping it all together.
    Boy, do I know what you me about "keeping sane". The only time I really feel physically normal is when I'm on my Spyder. No "disabilities", just the wind and the joy of riding. It takes a lot to keep us down when we love riding.
    Ride i comfort,
    John