Spyder Garage

Default Trying to remove fitting that was installed by BRP with Locktite blue on it

I am trying to remove the factory antenna rod on our 2014 RTL, to replace with a short one, but the blue locktite on the fitting is not playing fair. I am being very cautious not to scratch the body also. My attempts so far to turn it out with long thin vise grips just seems to scratch up the brass fitting. Anybody know of a good way to break this loose short of removing the Tupperware part first? I am thinking about cutting off the old antenna rod and using a 7mm (?) socket, if someone knows that will work without removing the body parts.

Any comments please.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Believe it or not: a bigger set of Vise-Grips!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A 3/8 drive socket will slide right down over the knob at the top of the antenna...
    If you use a 1/4 drive: that knob needs removing!

Spyder Garage

Default Bigger vice grips

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Believe it or not: a bigger set of Vise-Grips!
    Bob, Don't think I can get in there to grasp the fitting with bigger grips.......but I will see in a while.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know that it's a scary thing: good luck!

Spyder Garage

Default I'll try this !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    A 3/8 drive socket will slide right down over the knob at the top of the antenna...
    If you use a 1/4 drive: that knob needs removing!
    Never thought about 3/8th drive I tried 1/4 which obviously is too small to go over.
    Let you know if I get it off.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GOT it....but not like I wanted to. After searching all "reasonably close" parts houses and not finding a 3/8 7mm deep socket, I got a deep one but 1/4" drive. I decided saving the existing antenna was not exactly required here (I save enough things I will never use again!) so I cut it off, used the new socket to remove the fitting (which was relatively easy), and installed the new short antenna. I put it all together "dry" (because the locktite blue I know I have is hiding somewhere) to see how the rest of the install would go. Only issue I found was that the parts from the RMA 900 would not stick thru the rubber cover of the spyder if they were all tight in their respective holes of other parts.
    So I screwed each part together with enough turns left to assemble everything in the rubber housing, and made the entire assembly tight by turning the antenna. Probably no surprise to anyone that I had to do this. There was a video on youtube showing this install, but somehow he had assembled all parts hand tight and his threads stuck up thru the rubber just fine. It was like the rubber piece on mine (2014RTL) was a little longer than his. Go figure.

Anyway......Thanks Bob.
    Last edited by teninospyder; 01-30-2018 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Followup on solution.