Spyder Garage

Default Handle bars off set to left

Just reilized this this AM rideing to work. Handle bars are about 3 degrees to the left of center and bike is going stright!!!!. Tried a turn off key, move bars and restart ( thinking the wacky power steering is acting up) but no change. Never had anythingwith power stering do this before ( course never had a bike with PS either :-).

What the heck could be wrong???

Spyder Garage

Three degrees???? How can you measure 3 degrees???
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

You need to have your dealer take care of that. My dealer had to straighten out my bars as well. They have an instrument to measure that with. Also, this can affect your spyder and you will be getting some bad codes and possible limp mode. Will also cause undo wear on front tires. Take it to a good reputable dealer and have it taken care of.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Possibly the toe setting.

On a car at least if the steering wheel is not absolutely centered before the toe is set - the toe can be spot on with the steering wheel off center.

I am pretty anal about this when I get the car done. Mechanics either understand this and get it - or they look at you like some sort of alien.

If you are going down a crowned road you can have the effect of an off-center steering wheel while going dead straight. I think that is correctable by a caster setting to accommodate the road crown.

Get it checked - there could be handlebar issues on a Spyder. My car does not have any handlebars and my Spyder tracks true.

Pete
    Last edited by ptoemmes; 05-22-2009 at 02:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

3 degrees is a WAG. IF you would like more infomation I will gladly get a scale and got out and messure in degrees. In inches the bars are set app. .50-inch off center line to the left to travel in a straight line. I have not hit anything and have ridden many a motorcycle with bent bars, so this is a new one to me.

Spyder Garage

That's ok. If it troubles you, you should get it looked at.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Did you just get this bike? Did the dealer install the BRP 1" riser block by chance?

Not something you should fix yourself---- dealer time!

Spyder Garage

I have had the bike since last Oct 08.
    I just noticed this " Change" today and I ride the bike a couple time a week and did not notice it yesterday. So I guessing it's power steering thing...which is a new twist ( for real) on the issue.??
    I was hopeing someone else here had the same type issue and the fix would be a power reset and or some kind of process I could do...not the Dealers. I guessing the dealer will not have a clue.

Spyder Garage

The power steering issues have not been about the steering being offset in order to go straight. The PS failures have been just that - PS going on and off - intermittently

If I understand you correctly if you have your handlebars set dead center the Spyder doesn't go straight. In order to go straight you have to turn the handlebars about 3 degrees off center.

If this is what is happening then I don't see how the power steering could do this - it almost has to be something mechanical--- as in something is loose, bent, etc. The PS is only an assist system - the bar centering to the wheels is mechanical.

Time to go to your dealer.

Spyder Garage

I don't think it is a power steering issue, either. If it had been there before, I would wager that it was one of the early BRP risers, where the splines were off. Second in line would be an alignment issue. A newly appearing problem is likely more due to wear, probably in the suspension or steering components. The Spyder has a steering degree sensor, and besides wearing the tires you could make it crazy. I'd see a dealer ASAP. as others have suggested.
    -Scotty