Spyder Garage

Unhappy Help Please! Is there a hidden fuse?

2014 RTL, I decided to install a small back up camera and I used the tag light as my power source. I attached the hot wire from the wireless receiver to the white wire from the tag light and ran a jumper to a screw as a ground temporary. I turned switch on and instantly heard a pop as if a fuse shot. No lights in the instrument panel, bike won't start, nothing. I checked all fuses in the left & right side front fuse panels. All fuses checked good on Ohms meter. What am I not seeing? How do I check the relays? Is there another main fuse under the panels?

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

And by ALL fuses - you did mean the fuses in the upper row AND lower row in each fuse box? Two different designs of fuses in your fuse boxes. Small rectangular ones in the upper row, and larger square ones in the lower row.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 01-28-2018 at 07:35 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 2012 has a bank of fuses under the seat..Not sure of the 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    And by ALL fuses - you did mean the fuses in the upper row AND lower row in each fuse box? Two different designs of fuses in your fuse boxes. Small rectangular ones in the upper row, and larger square ones in the lower row.
    Yep!, I when back to make sure that I had not hit the kill switch and it was in the right location. Decided to check battery cables and Bingo. Negative cable was loose. Thank's Big #1 in Birmingham, AL My bike was in their shop for a month getting the ignition switch replaced because a tumbler had fallen in the switch. Picked by bike up the last Friday in December, (loaded on a enclosed trailer) and brought it home noticing after my two hour drive back that they had turned my USB rocker switch upside down and not correctly seating the gasket around another switch. Took it back another two hour drive(one way) had them to redo their screw up then this. I may be wrong in assuming but I would think correct protocol when working on electricial would be to take battery cable off. But why not tighten back after they fixed their mistake. I'm not a fan of the dealership.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruising RT View Post
    ....... I'm not a fan of the dealership.
    Ayup......

Spyder Garage

The bulb can act as a fuse itself if you heard it you were probably closer to it than you think careful back there if you do get a short you may not get to disconnect battery before something larger blows.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuse

Always install a In-Line-FUSE with any Electrical ADD ON. Just A Small Little TIP.
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue