Spyder Garage

Default P1614 could it be fixed?

Last fall whenever I was starting my 2015 St Limited in cooler temperatures I was getting a check engine light with the code1614. I believe that means throttle body problems. Dealer said I needed throttle body cleaned.

I Ran 2 tanks of gas with a fairly heavy dose of Techron complete fuel system cleaner and now even with below-freezing temperatures, it starts up with no issue whatsoever.

Could this have done the trick?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TECHTRON

​Over the counter products that claim to do wonders in cleaning or improving performance have been shown thru testing to do little or nothing compared to their claims ....... that being said - the Techron would appear to have solved your issue ....... It's use certainly won't hurt anything ( used correctly )....... However these types of products have been termed " snake oil " for good reason .......... glad it fixed your issue......BRP had several years of serious problems with the Throttle bodies used on the V-twin engine...... the newer ones may be improved versions, I haven't seen the later ones as having issues ........jmho .....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A good cleaning will never hurt... but it doesn't solve any underlying issues.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuel

Just wondering, What Brand and Type of Fuel are you using. I use Shell Premium or Costco Premium.
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

I have found that though very high tech and all there is a lot of mis-communication between the 7 computers and xxx number of sensors. I call them glitches and they clear many times and never come back. Not to say don't be concerned and check it out and or watch it. Depending on your model and how easy it is to get to the air filter I usually clean the throttle body when checking or cleaning the air cleaner....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderUSA View Post
    Could this have done the trick?
    Not likely.

With a fuel injected engine, little to NONE of that cleaner made it's way back up into the throttle body.

It won't hurt anything to let it go and see if it comes back.
    I think I would have it cleaned at the next service interval.

P.S. Do NOT fall for the injector cleaning scam. The Techron you used should have done that just fine.......at about 1/10 of what the dealer would have changed you.

Spyder Garage

I generally use top-tier premium but it also used Sam's premium. I don't think Sam's is top-tier.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't remember if it's the 1614 fault, or another one, but the BRP solution for the 998 engine is throttle body cleaning. Easy is right. The fuel with the additive doesn't pass through the part of the TB that gets gunked up and needs cleaning. It's not a simple job. The air filter box has to come off. My 2013 RT gave the same code one time. I think my local dealer was able to spray some cleaner through the air intake. The code did not reoccur in the remaining time I owned the Spyder.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Techron

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ​Over the counter products that claim to do wonders in cleaning or improving performance have been shown thru testing to do little or nothing compared to their claims ....... that being said - the Techron would appear to have solved your issue ....... It's use certainly won't hurt anything ( used correctly )....... However these types of products have been termed " snake oil " for good reason .......... glad it fixed your issue......BRP had several years of serious problems with the Throttle bodies used on the V-twin engine...... the newer ones may be improved versions, I haven't seen the later ones as having issues ........jmho .....Mike
    I have a 2000 Vette, and every once in a while, (About 1 time per season) the gas gauge drops to E, even though there is plenty of gas. I then put in a bottle of Techron, and the problem goes away. I also put some in my Subaru and my GM pickup, and the acceleration improves a lot. Not sure if it's snake oil, but works for me.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver