Spyder Garage

Default We going off road...??

Looks like this would do well in the dunes... but will it come to be...

Screenshot_20180126-223926.jpg
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

What do you mean "We're going off road", I already do:-)

PS will be doing this road on my Spyder on 24th of Feb, if I don't post after that date you know what's happened...

Spyder Garage

I could not do Skippers road on 2 wheels. However, I would love to do it on my Spyder. It was listed as a road on which I was theoretically not allowed to travel when we had a rented Hertz suv back in 2013.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you going to do that NZ ryde on your Spyder this time?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post

Project S--? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Good one....

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Project S--? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
    Really....they could keep this one under the the 10 grand....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Really....they could keep this one under the the 10 grand....
    Most likely not. But it does look a bit "bare bones." I am really wondering what a $10K one will look like. Get rid of 2/3 of the "fluff" and I don't think your going to get much.

I don't see them building a "loss leader" just to get people into the upline market eventually.

The upside--hopefully those who are interested will be satisfied when they make new vehicle announcements near the end of 2018.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

That thing doesn't even look very comfortable to ride. Might be good for a skinny short rider to go mud bogging on.

Spyder Garage

I dunno... assuming it's gonna be based upon or derived from one of the current (or recent?) Models, saaayy, maybe something like an RSS; then I reckon it could work!!

Given some interesting features like Three wheel drive, inboard discs up front, maybe a fully enclosed belt or possibly a shaft drive to the rear, good ground clearance, and better power/torque delivery, then I can see a fair few people being interested in it?!? I'd certainly be checking my discretionary expenditure funds!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    It was listed as a road on which I was theoretically not allowed to travel when we had a rented Hertz suv back in 2013.
    I love your wording on that one, doesn't give away if you actually did it or not:-)

As you may remember the main hire car in NZ is the Toyota Corolla and you'll be amazed where you find those have managed to get to, though they are normally stuck with the hirers hoping someone will come along rescue them. Though I've also come across one large campervan stuck fast on the Port Levy - Pigeon Bay Road despite the signs at either end saying "No Campervans" at either end.

Guessing you probably have similar issues in Canada.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    I love your wording on that one, doesn't give away if you actually did it or not:-)

As you may remember the main hire car in NZ is the Toyota Corolla and you'll be amazed where you find those have managed to get to, though they are normally stuck with the hirers hoping someone will come along rescue them. Though I've also come across one large campervan stuck fast on the Port Levy - Pigeon Bay Road despite the signs at either end saying "No Campervans" at either end.

Guessing you probably have similar issues in Canada.
    There was a Corolla stuck in the sand on the tip of the North Island. They asked if we could tow them out but I had to politely refuse as I didn't need to get stuck as well despite AWD. They did get help tho. I didn't just abandon them.

Happens everywhere. People go where they shouldn't.

Enjoy your Feb 24th ride, looks great.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here's the website of the designer. http://imaginactive.org/ A whole bunch of other odd stuff there. I wonder if he's related to the Bombardier of Can Am fame?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

RE: Forbidden Roads

We have one such here. The Denali Highway. A 100 mile or so stretch situated between The Richardson and Parks Highway. Rental agencies forbid taking their cars there. It's high ground. Snow can happen anytime from Sept 1st. Getting stuck there means a Spring retrieval.

Airforce crashed a F22 jet there in the winter. It was Spring before they retrieved the plane and pilot.

I drove it once in my Subaru Forester.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    What do you mean "We're going off road", I already do:-)

PS will be doing this road on my Spyder on 24th of Feb, if I don't post after that date you know what's happened...
    What do you use for a gravel guard?

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post

Thanks.
    I regularly do much the same sorta roads/tracks as PB but here in Aus, altho probably at a little less pace than PB (just cos I don't do as many Iron Butt or distance/time events as he does) and as for a gravel guard, I don't!!

Done over 50k on the Spyder now, & I'd say easily over 1/3rd of that has been off the blacktop, with at least another 1/3rd being on what you'd call 'chip seal' black-top - that's just what a vast amount of our back country roads are made of! Apart from being a little sensible about where I go (altho I never really avoid anything much short of the stuff labelled '4WD only'!) and ryding with a little restraint on the dirt etc plus avoiding spinning the rear tire too much or spending too much time hanging the tail in the loose stuff that I do travel on, all I do is hose everything off & then check the belt & sprockets carefully after I get home from each trip or ryde.

Haven't done a belt yet, or even had a stone chip or pebble caught in one or in a sprocket (touch wood!) - but I have had a few small sharp stones wear tiny holes in the rear suspension air bag.... they got caught in the fold between the 'piston' & the bag up the top - definitely not anywhere that any stone guard or protector currently on the market that I'm aware of would've helped!!

So I seriously reckon that while it's smart to be a little judicious about where you ryde, and adding a stone guard might ease your mind a little if you are prone to worrying over little things like that, they won't really do a whole heap for you in the overall scheme of things; so unless you really spend heaps of time/distance ryding on loose dirt or gravel, you are probably better off if you just....

Ryde more, & worry LESS!

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-28-2018 at 09:00 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post

Thanks.
    Just got one of Spyderpops (site sponsor) which judging by the marks and chips in mine has done its job in the past.

I have ruined one belt but that was on newly laid chip and tar. The stones stuck to all the wheels and went everywhere, I'm still finding stones stuck fast with tar in weird places 3 years later.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    ... but I have had a few small sharp stones wear tiny holes in the rear suspension air bag.... they got caught in the fold between the 'piston' & the bag up the top - definitely not anywhere that any stone guard or protector currently on the market that I'm aware of would've helped!!
    There was a guy here who made some guards to help prevent that. He only occasionally makes a batch - he doesn't sell them for profit, just to help people out. They are called "The Muzza Flap", I'll drop him a line and see if he's got any.