Thread: Rugged Geek ??

Spyder Garage

Default Rugged Geek ??

I did a search but got no good hits so here's my question.

I bought this jump pack several months ago and have never needed to use it. Lucky me I guess. I turn it on and the display shows 100% charged. Now I want to do a trial run so I hook it up to my car per the manual and can't get past the flashing red light. I had the ignition turned on or off and made no difference. Does this need to detect a dead or low battery to work? Also, what does that power switch do? The flashing red remains the same with power on or off.

Any clues to what I'm doing wrong? I would like to know that it can really work when I need it. Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3whlLefty View Post

I bought this jump pack several months ago and have never needed to use it. Lucky me I guess. I turn it on and the display shows 100% charged. Now I want to do a trial run so I hook it up to my car per the manual and can't get past the flashing red light. I had the ignition turned on or off and made no difference. Does this need to detect a dead or low battery to work? Also, what does that power switch do? The flashing red remains the same with power on or off.

Any clues to what I'm doing wrong? I would like to know that it can really work when I need it. Thanks.
    WHAT 'jump pack'? Makes a difference.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Where did you buy it, did you call place of purchase or manufacturer? that's always the best place to start.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No instruction book? Could be you reversed the polarity. I got a jumper from Cycle Gear and sometimes use it to charge my phone.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's their website; https://ruggedgeek.com/
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default It's the Rugged Geek

This is the very one Lamont sells. I may have bought it from another vendor.

I did use the manual. Not much help there. Every demo I've seen uses a dead battery. I'm attempting a trial run before I have a dead battery. So now the ??? Does it need a bad battery in order to do it's thing? I'm a bit reluctant to run a good battery dead just to prove that the thing works. I hope that makes sense.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did use the manual. Not much help there. Every demo I've seen uses a dead battery. I'm attempting a trial run before I have a dead battery. So now the ??? Does it need a bad battery in order to do it's thing? I'm a bit reluctant to run a good battery dead just to prove that the thing works. I hope that makes sense.
    Short answer is 'no' it doesn't need a dead battery to give you a jump-start. Is this your Spyder you're trying to jump-start, or is it a full-size auto battery? Lead-acid? AGM? Brand? Age? Help us out here; what exactly are you trying to do? This is for jump-starting a vehicle with a dead battery, not for recharging the battery.

For the benefit of others, this is the product he has; http://www.lamonstergarage.com/rugge...ster-approved/
    Last edited by UtahPete; 01-25-2018 at 02:54 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

For safety reasons it very well could need a LOW battery at minimum, as I read it has sensor to determine proper polarity so they would presumably also have a programmed min/max voltage range to operate in. (Be unconditional & visit a auto parts store likely to have dead battery on hand & see if u can borrow for test)Unlikely these limits are in manual but some hint of it yes. & surely there is a 800#you van Call? (Also recommended to recharge the unit every 3months)Found 1 review may have clue of something else:
    MALFUNCTIONING UNIT

Todd Mallery on Aug 28, 2017

Update - Customer service contacted me and made sure I was taken care of. I now have a unit that works properly and all is well. Communication was excellent once contact was made.<br><br>I haven't been able to use the battery, it was bad out of the box. No word from Rugged Geeks support. I was hoping to have a replacement on its way by now. Will update when I have good unit to test.

Last edited by Bfromla; 01-25-2018 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Test

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Per the manual it requires a draw to get off of the red light. See below. I would take it that turning on the key and the headlights should be a draw enough to get past the red light.

geek.JPG
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 01-25-2018 at 03:03 PM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default As seen on TV.....🤣

I have seen where you should be able to disconnect your battery and jump it with the pack. Now mind you on a modern car you will get a series of warning lights go off till the computers reset and the clock and stuff will need to be reset etc. You could better do it with the spyder and only have to reset the clock....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    Per the manual it requires a draw to get off of the red light. See below. I would take it that turning on the key and the headlights should be a draw enough to get past the red light.

geek.JPG
    Turning the ignition key on my bike just lights the small LEDs front, rear and fenders, perhaps not enough draw to turn off the red light. Headlights come on only when the engine starts. Just a guess.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Lefty,
    You are correct in that in needs a “dead” or low charge battery. Ask me how I know.....no, don’t bother. I have been through this and have a response from the manufacturer that I will try to find. Effectively, if the battery you are trying to use for your test is fully charged then the charger sees no reason to work !

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Turning the ignition key on my bike just lights the small LEDs front, rear and fenders, perhaps not enough draw to turn off the red light. Headlights come on only when the engine starts. Just a guess.
    The draw will come from the difference between the voltage on the jump-starter and the (lower) voltage on the 'dead' battery. It will also come from the car's starter motor once you try to start the car from the jump-starter.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Here it is......and as it recommends, if you want to test the Geek, disconnect your battery completely and connect the Geek direct to your battery cables. This info is NOT in their guidelines, but they are now looking at adding it as they have had this query several times...

Peter,

Thank you for the additional information. Here are a couple points that may help us solve the problem:

• It does not work to test these cables on vehicles with fully charged batteries. The way the Intelli cables work is they will sense for a dead or low battery and transmit power only once that’s sensed. The max voltage on our jump starter when fully charged is approximately 12.6V, however a fully charged vehicle battery could be as high as 13V or more. So if you connect our jump starter to a fully charged vehicle battery, it won’t allow power to flow since doing so would only mean power would flow from the higher voltage source (car battery) to the lower voltage source (jump starter) which would be dangerous as you don’t want power flowing back into the jump starter unless it is through the charging port. So for the 2 Hyundai vehicles, this is likely what’s happening and it is doing as designed here. A better test here, and one we do often, is to disconnect the vehicle batteries completely and connect the jump starter direct to the battery wires from the vehicle.
    • As for jump starting your Spyder: In this scenario, it should have worked for you, but my question here is: Did you try starting the bike, or did you not try as the light hadn’t gone green? In certain cases the accessory draw isn’t enough to turn the light green, especially if the battery on the bike/vehicle still has some charge as the accessories are likely being powered by that. That said, as soon as you hit the starter button, the draw from the starter motor should make the jump starter kick in and provide the power needed. In other words, the light doesn’t have to turn green to use the jump starter, just connect it as you would and start the bike/vehicle. The draw from that will be enough to kick it in and it should work for you.

I would this helps explain the situation. The intelliboost cables work great in 99% of situations, but with batteries that are partially or fully charged, the green light can sometimes lead to confusion as it won’t come until the starter is engaged due to the vehicle batteries powering the accessories. We will be updating our manual to better explain this, but I hope this email helps.

Please let me know if there is anything further I can help with,

Thank you again,
    Samantha
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Just unhook the battery and hook the rugged geek straight to the battery cables. I tested mine like this and it started a 2004 Chevy Avalanche in twenty degree weather.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Csh72 View Post
    Just unhook the battery and hook the rugged geek straight to the battery cables. I tested mine like this and it started a 2004 Chevy Avalanche in twenty degree weather.
    Gee, I wish I had said that.....
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Gee, I wish I had said that.....

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default it will work

this past October when bringing the motorhome home from the seasonal site I rent the battery was dead, I used the geek to start it, let it charge for about 10 min and the rv started. So I know it will work for a spyder. I know this isn't what was asked, just a plug for a good product.
    2012 RTS SE5, GT stripes, belt guard, hmt brake light, lower vent heat deflector, driver foot boards, Corbin seat, RH vent covers

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    OP said he was hooking it up to his car, not his Spyder.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Reply from Rugged Geek

I sent an inquiry to Rugged Geek and got back the same answer that Peteoz posted. I don't have a Spyder right now and the car I was testing on is a BMW X3 and I'm not about to disconnect the battery on that electronic wizardry. I will try it later on my older Subaru.

It's good to know that so far my jump pack looks healthy. Thanks for all the helpful ideas. Paul