Spyder Garage

Default 2-Way Radio and Bluetooth

Has anyone tried a device like the following and integrated it with your Bluetooth headset (Sena or Other)? If I understand the overview you don't need a push to talk "trigger"; it appears to be voice activated. If this works as I think it might, it could be an interesting way to get significant more distance and hands free in rider to rider communications.

Rob

https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-PR562BL...with+bluetooth
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    Has anyone tried a device like the following and integrated it with your Bluetooth headset (Sena or Other)? If I understand the overview you don't need a push to talk "trigger"; it appears to be voice activated. If this works as I think it might, it could be an interesting way to get significant more distance and hands free in rider to rider communications. Rob https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-PR562BL...with+bluetooth
    Interesting new development, thanks. Will be following this thread.
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2 way raadios

Hi Dave here......
    To answer your question, Yes many people here have done this.
    To habe Blue Tooth CB on your Spyder or any other bike,
    here is what you need, first go to the biggest truck stop you can find
    near by such as Flying "J" or Loves, they have the best selection of
    CB radios that you can see feel and touch, MOST ALL buy the Midland
    40 Chan. hand held unit, usually under $100.00 then get the mount for it
    there vendors here who have them and or make them using Ram Ball mounts.
    Then call good old Dave and I will send you the SENA SR10 Transmitter
    and the SENA #SC-A0115 cable for it, plug it in to the CB and there you go
    ready to talk. This system works great and costs 1/4 the price of the stock
    BRP unit.
    NOTE: I would avoid using the VOX setting (voice activated) many things can set it off
    you could sneez, car horn honk, wind blowing on the mic. things like that will key the mic.
    For more info .... you know the drill CALL ME 209-887-3283
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Dave, with all due respect, I question if you are responding relative to this specific Cobra device as your recommending a different solution. The Cobra product suggests one could pair directly with your Sena or other headset and not require an SR10. The Vox mode suggests you don't need a push to talk button or trigger. My apologies if I am misinterpreting you.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Hi Dave here......
    BRP unit.
    NOTE: I would avoid using the VOX setting (voice activated) many things can set it off
    you could sneez, car horn honk, wind blowing on the mic. things like that will key the mic.
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes I did notice that after I put up my response, but decided to leave it there anyway
    as it has some good info for folks looking for an alternative to the factory CB.
    In talking to people using the Cobra ( Good Stuff) it works, the VOX is not so great
    and much less distance than the Midland.
    Dave

Dave, with all due respect, I question if you are responding relative to this specific Cobra device as your recommending a different solution. The Cobra product suggests one could pair directly with your Sena or other headset and not require an SR10. The Vox mode suggests you don't need a push to talk button or trigger. My apologies if I am misinterpreting you.

Rob
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 01-25-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

How do you get the Midland hand held to STAY in single channel CB mode. It keeps wanting to do some sort of multichannel scan and essentially does not communicate with other CBs in the group.

Can reset it a couple times and it works for a few minutes in the parking lot and they reverts to some sort of scanning mode again. You can see the display moving but I have no idea what it is trying to do. Simply has too many undocumented buttons, I need it to STAY a simple, single channel CB with no 'special stuff' or side tones or scanning. Have been trying over and over for months and all but given up on the Midland/Sena combo. So far it has been utterly useless in our riding group and very frustrating. Especially when the built in Honda and Harley radios 'just work'.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

here is what you need,

FIRST......you need a CB radio.
    The ones in the link he posted are NOT.

Second, the max. distance that most of the FRS/GMRS claim are from two mountain tops with a 20 mile wide lake in between.

Even the best ones are pretty limited in their functionality.....and are NOT compatible with a real CB.

Spyder Garage

My son and some of his BMW riding buddies have walkie talkies like those Cobras, don't know their make/model, but they're always fiddling with them and their SR10s.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    FIRST......you need a CB radio. The ones in the link he posted are NOT.
    Second, the max. distance that most of the FRS/GMRS claim are from two mountain tops with a 20 mile wide lake in between.
    Even the best ones are pretty limited in their functionality.....and are NOT compatible with a real CB.
    True. These are walkie-talkies, NOT CB radios Cobra PR562BLT Pro Series 28-Mile Bluetooth Walkie Talkie Radio

2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a Motorola MU350R which is an FRS radio and I paired to my headset and I've only been able to use it a few times and it worked great. I had to figure out a way to mount it to the handlebar as you have to be able to hit the PTT button as you talk. They have a bluetooth PTT button sold separately but is actually more $$ than the radio. If you need to talk to other riders that have the same radio type, then it will work. These FRS radios with BT are not as used as much as CB or Bluetooth headsets.

Similar to the Midland CB but without the Sena SR10 adapter.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

As to the Cobra shown.
    There is ABSOLUTELY NO CB handheld that will transmit 24 miles on a flat with a rubber duck antenna.
    From a mountain top? Possibly!

I seriously doubt you will get a mile!

N1BCK
    AJ
    Has anyone tried a device like the following and integrated it with your Bluetooth headset (Sena or Other)? If I understand the overview you don't need a push to talk "trigger"; it appears to be voice activated. If this works as I think it might, it could be an interesting way to get significant more distance and hands free in rider to rider communications.

Rob

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Cobra mentioned is an FRS or GPRS radio not a CB.

What would really be great is if our bluetooth headsets would always be monitoring in pairing mode so when they sense another BT headset they would pair automatically. When they come out with that, WOW, now that would be cool!
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default RADIO, 28 miles

Almost choked when I read 28 miles. But gave me a good chuckle. Every time I read one of these descriptions, the range gets longer and longer.
    Bob, k7xi. 2013 RTL

Spyder Garage

28 miles on these talkies? No problem. I once talked over 200 miles on my talkie to another talkie, both with similar power levels as the Family Radio talkies.

I was a bit over 100 miles away on a mountaintop across the Los Angles basin from the repeater that was on another mountain top. The person I was talking to through the repeater was about 50 feet from me so our round trip was over 200 miles. It was an unusually clear day and in the distance we could see the mountain the repeater was on.

However - I lived about 12 miles from that same repeater and couldn't hit it with a 35 watt mobile because just a little bit of a foothill was in the way of line-of-sight to the repeater.

These Family-type radios will have more range that a WiFi connection but not a lot more and will suffer from the same problems with walls, forests, buildings, etc.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Default Test Results

I decided to purchase the Cobra radios to know if they would work in my application or not.

Today I tested the Cobra 2-Way radios with Sena 20s Bluetooth connection. The bluetooth connection and voice activated "speak to talk" worked reasonably well. I believe tweaking the settings can get it to work pretty well. The downside was from inside the house to outside I did not get 1/4 mile distance. It is better than Sena to Sena, but not good enough to include another device into the mix. I'm returning to Amazon.

Rob

Rob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The downside was from inside the house to outside I did not get 1/4 mile distance.
    I don't understand why you would test that way.
    When was the last time you wanted to talk to someone INSIDE A BUILDING while you were out riding ??

Spyder Garage

Default Midland handheld

Hi Dave here......
    BRP unit.
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    Dave, could you let us know the procedure for setting the Midland to hold one channel without scanning, this would be very valuable to the group members that are using them.

Spyder Garage

Default Because ..

Because I wanted to simulate a level of obstruction as I often find in So AZ roads that are hilly, trees, some buildings, etc. If I had achieved a more positive result I would have done an outside only test of greater distance.

And yes, I have talked to a fellow rider that was inside a building while I was outside.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I don't understand why you would test that way.
    When was the last time you wanted to talk to someone INSIDE A BUILDING while you were out riding ??

Spyder Garage

Default Call Dave

I invite you to call his as he's great about picking up his phone and talking about this stuff. As Dave says:

"For more info .... you know the drill CALL ME 209-887-3283
    Ride Safe
    Dave"

Quote Originally Posted by donrokon View Post
    Dave, could you let us know the procedure for setting the Midland to hold one channel without scanning, this would be very valuable to the group members that are using them.