Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default thank you for well written post to a new rider--

i am sure hoping my experience will be similar to yours once the initial regret feeling subsides

Quote Originally Posted by F3Spyderman View Post
    I must admit that I was scared of my F3-S once it was delivered. It looked a lot longer and a lot wider than it did in the showroom. My doubts started from the start. Seemed such a palaver to even start the thing. Key, then 3 second wait as you press ECO button to acknowledge the warning, find the starter button. No starter, engine cut-off switch accidentally operated. Then once it fires, burst of high revs without even touching the throttle. Always taught never to high rev from cold. Engage gear, loud crash of gears, thought 'that cant be right. Tried to pull away and find the parking brake is still on.

Rode it carefully up my road to a nearby almost empty car park for a practice. By this time was getting worried, the sensitive throttle and instant response, not knowing if I could stop it, seemed that I was not in control of the monster. Took a short ride around some quiet roads. Not happy, seemed like it was in control of me rather than other way around. Went home a bit depressed, I'd spent all this money on something I did not enjoy. I put a post on this forum expressing my doubts and some kind person replied " get 500 miles under your belt and you will love it".

How right they were but it took somewhat less than 500. Now I absolutely love, love, love it and grab every excuse for a ride. Best thing since sliced bread.

Spyder Garage

Some of you all sold me, I ordered the Bajaron sway bar and heim links. I will get the laser alignment too.
    I have 20 years experience on two wheels but sold my last one about four years ago. Trikes have always caught my eye, especially the VW trikes. When the Spyders came out I went wow and then went to check them out and the sticker shock turned that smile upside down. I started to get the bike itch again and said maybe there are some reasonable used Spyders out there now and found one just this last November. It was such a killer deal that I kept thinking the seller was going to change her mind so I said I am coming tomorrow, rain or snow. It rained and it was in VA Beach! So the first ride was truly trial by fire. About 100 miles of part city, bridges, highways, and just plain old traffic nastiness. Every turn, especially the exits, my heart was in my throat. The twitchyness and feeling like you may just fly of on a turn made me have the death grip which made it even worst. Straightaways I was grinning ear to ear though. The weather has been so cold that I haven't drive much at all since purchasing it. I have been doing maintenance and farkles to get ready for riding season. I still have a little apprehension but figured it is a learning curve and it will get better. This thread helps a lot. I do love seeing that Spyder in the driveway though.
    Last edited by Squanchkava72; 01-26-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I really didn't have any declining abilities. The wife wanted something to ride and two wheels for her isn't practical.

My last bikes were: '97 Valkyrie, '99 Valkyrie Interstate and two later model Goldwings (GL1800's). Every one of those bikes made at least one cross-country trip. Additionally, I rode the Interstate non-stop from the middle of Nebraska to Phoenix and one of the Wings from Seattle to Phoenix, also non-stop. I cannot imagine doing either trip on the Spyder - it is that uncomfortable. I can't imagine riding long distance with my junk in the glove box for instance.

All four bikes had tons of quiet power, came from the factory properly put together and the CB-equipped Wing actually had range and worked. Maintenance was a snap for any competent owner and could be accomplished in a fraction of the time compared to the Spyder. Oh, and I could ride on gravel or dirt roads without worrying that I might split the damn drive belt. The foot brake was easy to operate and without the need to raise one's leg and the hand brake was a two-finger operation instead of a fist full. I could raise and lower the windshield fully without worrying that I might break the brackets. And, I could park any of the bikes for months without the need for a battery maintainer.

There are Honda shops, both official and independent all over the place, and none charge $300 for an oil change. None of the bikes needed a proprietary diagnostic tool for simple troubleshooting and I could install aftermarket lighting without disabling the factory lights. The bikes were faster in a straight line (accelleration was also a good deal quicker) and through corners and there was no nanny deciding what my riding limits were.

You didn't need an instruction manual and two hands to start the engine or shift into reverse and you could put the key on a standard ring without buying an accessory. And did I mention the bikes were substantially less expensive?
    TOTALLY...TOTALLY... agree with you with your above post. I have ridden a two-wheeler for 45 years (raced for a few of those years) and they were a BIG part of my life past and present. But due to surgeries on my left foot and right leg and the wife going with me no matter the mode of transportation, hell she has 125k+ just sitting behind me as a passenger on 2-wheelers, I turned to the Spyder because of not being able to support or manage the weight of a GW anymore and I was not willing to hang my helmet up yet. So for us the Spyder has worked out fine. When I see articles on the new GW and see the new body work and suspension tech. that's being used I am a bit jealous and wanting one. There are some things that could have been designed better and they do need a better dealer network with competent techs. But all in all, the Spyder has worked out well for us and I do plan on keeping it, will I buy another new one? Jury's out on that one. When we took possession of ours, I rode it about 400mi. before I allowed the wife onboard because I wanted to make sure that I could keep it between the ditches and could handle those "OH CRAP" moments. I've been in bike crashes before, like they say in racing "your not going fast enough, unless you crash!". I can handle me crashing but I sure as hell do not want to be responsible for harming my wife. I do know there is no guaranties in life, but I try not to "spin that cylinder" too many times. Mad Mac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Squanchkava72 View Post
    You all sold me, I ordered the Bajaron sway bar and heim links. I will get the laser alignment too.
    Not ALL of us encouraged you to do that.
    Quite a few suggested waiting until you get more riding experience to see if it would REALLY be necessary or not.

But I KNOW it is human nature to hope that everything that is not working out exactly as expected can be "fixed" by some 3rd party.
    Sometimes it can't.

Good luck. Hope it all turns out good.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Not ALL of us encouraged you to do that.
    Quite a few suggested waiting until you get more riding experience to see if it would REALLY be necessary or not.

But I KNOW it is human nature to hope that everything that is not working out exactly as expected can be "fixed" by some 3rd party.
    Sometimes it can't.

Good luck. Hope it all turns out good.
    OK some of you all it is then I had been reading up on the sway bar outside of this thread too, this one just sealed the deal for me and it just made me feel good that I wasn't the only one who had a scary first ride. I realize it isn't going to fix time on the Spyder, but I see more positives than negatives and this time of year wrenching doesn't cut into riding time. Plus it isn't super pricey so what the heck, why not go for it. Thanks
    Last edited by Squanchkava72; 01-26-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Squanchkava72 View Post
    You all sold me, I ordered the Bajaron sway bar and heim links. I will get the laser alignment too.
    I have 20 years experience on two wheels but sold my last one about four years ago. Trikes have always caught my eye, especially the VW trikes. When the Spyders came out I went wow and then went to check them out and the sticker shock turned that smile upside down. I started to get the bike itch again and said maybe there are some reasonable used Spyders out there now and found one just this last November. It was such a killer deal that I kept thinking the seller was going to change her mind so I said I am coming tomorrow, rain or snow. It rained and it was in VA Beach! So the first ride was truly trial by fire. About 100 miles of part city, bridges, highways, and just plain old traffic nastiness. Every turn, especially the exits, my heart was in my throat. The twitchyness and feeling like you may just fly of on a turn made me have the death grip which made it even worst. Straightaways I was grinning ear to ear though. The weather has been so cold that I haven't drive much at all since purchasing it. I have been doing maintenance and farkles to get ready for riding season. I still have a little apprehension but figured it is a learning curve and it will get better. This thread helps a lot. I do love seeing that Spyder in the driveway though.

If it matters, I'm still only 400 mile into it and the biggest difference was when I stopped gripping the handlebars.Now I look a lot like this when riding, but we've comfortably gone 90, 2 up. ..Spyder grip.jpg

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    sounds like you really dislike the Spyder
    rather than live unhappily with it in your garage, sounds like you'd feel better if it were gone
    I say sell it now
    It is officially for sale.

Spyder Garage

I think my learning curve for the Spyder was about 75 Miles (from my dealer to my house), now on my 5th Spyder, (4 RT's & now a 2016 F3 ltd) and around 100,000 miles of riding i can tell you that i get excited about riding every time I get on my Spyder.

My local dealership offered me a Spyder Ambassador Position and now i ride their Spyders as much as I ride my own, difference being is that my Spyder is set up the way I want it and theirs are straight from the factory, My Spyder has the Baja Ron Bar, Lazer Aligned by Spyderpops, Back rest, 3rd set of pegs and pull back handlebars and many other creature comforts.

I ride all my Spyders like i stole them and truly enjoy the ryde all the time.

I also love to run circles around traditional 3 wheelers.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

It is officially for sale.
    that's probably a good decision for you.
    I've had problem "things" that gave me heartburn and getting rid of them felt like a weight was lifted.
    Good luck with your sale.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    Good luck with your sale.
    Thank you but I really doubt it will sell unless I give it away. In the meantime it will probably spend its life chugging the 6-mile round trip for the misses back and forth to work.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcan1x View Post
    If it matters, I'm still only 400 mile into it and the biggest difference was when I stopped gripping the handlebars.Now I look a lot like this when riding, but we've comfortably gone 90, 2 up. ..Spyder grip.jpg
    Yes I keep thinking relax those hands. I am putting the Rivco handlebar risers on for comfort but also hope they take some of the weight off the bars too.
    Last edited by Squanchkava72; 01-26-2018 at 08:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

I took me about 1500 miles before I was really confident on the Spyder. The first few rides, I was sure I had made a mistake, but I decided to tough it out. 24,000 miles later, I have no problems riding it anywhere. Yeah, maintenance at the dealer is pricey, but so was my BMW.

One of the happier surprises with my Spyder was when I found out my gym bag fits neatly in the frunk. When the weather's nice, I can kill two birds with one stone.

Spyder Garage

As others have said, it depends on the drivers past experience. I grew up on motocross and snowmobiles, then rice burnin crotch rocket cafe bikes, then cruisers, some more snowmobiles and then scooters, and the occasional quad. I loved the first Spyder I drove (F3S) by the first corner we turned, and the first time I backed up my own driveway to pass it back to the owner. Felt comfortable on each of the test drives of 3 different spyders, 1 with my wife riding on back). And drove the one I bought over 120 miles to get home from a dealership 51 miles straight north of my home. Pretty sure I picked up the wife and we went for a couple hour ride that evening.
    When anyone starts talking about why they wouldn't ride a Spyder I just smile and chuckle as they probably haven't driven one yet....
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Before you sign up for the hand brake find a Spyder that has one and give it a try. The pull is a LOT harder than anything you experienced on a two-wheeler.
    I got my dealer to fit the handlebar mounted brake lever because I thought I may find that I needed it as I have both ankles fused (metal rod in them) so was bit worried whether I could hit the brake fast enough. There is NO problem with the pull on the lever as I can easily operate it with just two fingers if I choose to do so.

BUT having said that, I now wish I'd saved myself the expense because I now find that I never use the hand brake and have no difficulty what so ever using the foot brake.
    Please don't lead me into temptation, I already know the way. I can resist everything except temptation.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you but I really doubt it will sell unless I give it away. In the meantime it will probably spend its life chugging the 6-mile round trip for the misses back and forth to work.
    I don't quite get this.

IF.....she rides it and enjoys it......why are YOU so dead set against it ?

And yes, you will take a big depreciation hit if/when you sell it unless you get really lucky.

And you might take an even more significant "hit" if the wife doesn't agree with your selling it.

And I know you don't believe or understand this right now but the time might come when the choices will be: Get 3 wheels or stop riding completely. When I got near to that point, the choice was clear.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't quite get this.

IF.....she rides it and enjoys it......why are YOU so dead set against it ?
    She rode it a few times after we got it last June but hasn't ridden it since. I am not against her riding it - that was the whole purpose of buying it.

And yes, you will take a big depreciation hit if/when you sell it unless you get really lucky.
    I am not worried about that - not with what the stock market is doing right now.

And you might take an even more significant "hit" if the wife doesn't agree with your selling it.
    It surprised me but she doesn't seem to care one way or the other.

And I know you don't believe or understand this right now but the time might come when the choices will be: Get 3 wheels or stop riding completely. When I got near to that point, the choice was clear.
    I had not reached that point but it did get to the point that we had been virtually everywhere on the Wing and she couldn't drive it so we had too choose something she could ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am not worried about that - not with what the stock market is doing right now.
    Two rules of "playing" the stock market:
    Buy low.
    Sell high.

WAY too many people forget about the second part.

A bubble is forming.
    It might take a long time but it WILL burst......again.
    And the rich and powerful will be out before it blows up.
    Don't wait too long.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Two rules of "playing" the stock market:
    Buy low.
    Sell high.

WAY too many people forget about the second part.
    You missed one: Hold and enjoy the dividends.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You missed one: Hold and enjoy the dividends.
    Dividends.......what on earth is that ??

During my last round of stock ownership, all I owned were dividend payers; mutual funds actually.

Spyder Garage

Preferred stocks and dividend income were the retirement plans of the 50's. Not so much today. 401K's with a mixed portfolio now seems to be the way.

So far, I like the market the last couple years.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Preferred stocks and dividend income were the retirement plans of the 50's. Not so much today.
    I agree that they aren't so much.......but that doesn't mean it's right.

The biggest problem with that is: The brokers go broke because those are buy and hold investments, even through ups and downs.
    No commissions on buy and selling.

Anybody with a lick of sense should be heavily invested in things that actually pay you something.......instead of relying on the whims of "the market" to give you something back.

Even with the great performance of the overall market lately, some people are just now getting back to where they were in 2008.......and they have LOST 10 years worth of income and growth.

But then recent events should make it abundantly clear that many people actually don't have a lick of sense.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm getting a handsome income from just one big dividend stock - and I own several others.

One good thing already mentioned is that dividends don't depend on the normal up and down movement of the stock price.

I found out long ago that "playing the market" can have a very adverse effect upon your sleep so I buy and hold. I could probably do day trading and eek out a bit more income but (a) I don't need to and (b) I don't want another full-time job (c) too much paperwork.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I found out long ago that "playing the market" can have a very adverse effect upon your sleep so I buy and hold. I could probably do day trading and eek out a bit more income but (a) I don't need to and (b) I don't want another full-time job (c) too much paperwork.
    Years ago after I was retired a couple of years I needed to move a chunk of money from my Federal Retirement fund into a commercial fund. While doing research I found that index funds like a Vanguard fund based on the S&P 500 outperformed actively managed funds over the long term. Generally speaking even professional money managers will cost you money compared to putting it into a good index fund and leaving it there.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Why a three wheeler

I had two wheelers, that that is the past. I go out in my garage every day, look at my 2013 RT L and laugh, it is fun and i would not go back to two wheelers. I really enjoy the Spyderlovers website because they share the same feeling. i have rode my RT across the Mojave desert in the daytime and never broke down, and that is a test of reliability.

Spyder Garage

Default Stock market, way off topic.

Think this thread has gone way off topic with all this stock market and shares talk and its so boring. Please post it to the 'Off Topic Board' if you must. No offence but lets stick to Spyders.
    Please don't lead me into temptation, I already know the way. I can resist everything except temptation.