Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I don't think I will EVER get as much satisfaction out of the Spyder.
    It is, after all, not a "real" motorcycle.
    Yup. I feel the same way. I have owned dozens of motorcycles over my 60 years of riding. I would use every excuse to hop on and ride them: cross-city, cross-state or cross-country. I doubt the Spyder will ever see the city limits while I own it. I bought it so the wifey would have something to ride and that is what it will remain. Lately though, she doesn't seem to be interested either.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I doubt the Spyder will ever see the city limits while I own it.
    Well that wasn't exactly what I meant.

I WILL ride the crap out of mine.......because it will be all that I have......and it was becoming obvious that I couldn't adequately handle a bike at low speeds anymore. Getting it on and off the trailer for going to races was becoming a problem too.

One needs to be constantly aware of your declining abilities and adjust accordingly.

Dirty Harry: A man needs to understand his own limitations.

Spyder Garage

Default agree

I had a little experience in the early '70s riding dirt bikes. I bought my F3 in 2016. It probably took 500 or so miles to get comfortable. I had no "bad" 2 wheel habits to unlearn. I took to the Spyder right away. Although I was a little intimidated by it, I soon got over it. What it took was a joy ride through some mountains by myself. I was being passed by couples riding touring bikes, so I decided to see if I could keep up with them since they weren't pushing. I found that the F3 could easily keep up. One couple started picking up speed on their BMW and I was easily capable of matching their speed on the straights as well as the corners. I really got confident about the Spyder when the BMW rider told me that he was pushing his bike as fast as he had ever done and we were going faster than where he usually ran away from Harleys and Goldwings. Since it didn't feel like I was even pushing the F3, I started to trust it and feel pretty confident for my low experience level. I usually don't push hard, but it's nice to know there is that much performance and handling in reserve.

Spyder Garage

Default agree

I had a little experience in the early '70s riding dirt bikes. I bought my F3 in 2016. It probably took 500 or so miles to get comfortable. I had no "bad" 2 wheel habits to unlearn. I took to the Spyder right away. Although I was a little intimidated by it, I soon got over it. What it took was a joy ride through some mountains by myself. I was being passed by couples riding touring bikes, so I decided to see if I could keep up with them since they weren't pushing. I found that the F3 could easily keep up. One couple started picking up speed on their BMW and I was easily capable of matching their speed on the straights as well as the corners. I really got confident about the Spyder when the BMW rider told me that he was pushing his bike as fast as he had ever done and we were going faster than where he usually ran away from Harleys and Goldwings. Since it didn't feel like I was even pushing the F3, I started to trust it and feel pretty confident for my low experience level. I usually don't push hard, but it's nice to know there is that much performance and handling in reserve. I'm probably never going to amass the tens of thousands of miles in a year that some of you do since most of my rides are just a couple of hundred miles around home, but I love the Spyder.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

One needs to be constantly aware of your declining abilities and adjust accordingly.
    I really didn't have any declining abilities. The wife wanted something to ride and two wheels for her isn't practical.

My last bikes were: '97 Valkyrie, '99 Valkyrie Interstate and two later model Goldwings (GL1800's). Every one of those bikes made at least one cross-country trip. Additionally, I rode the Interstate non-stop from the middle of Nebraska to Phoenix and one of the Wings from Seattle to Phoenix, also non-stop. I cannot imagine doing either trip on the Spyder - it is that uncomfortable. I can't imagine riding long distance with my junk in the glove box for instance.

All four bikes had tons of quiet power, came from the factory properly put together and the CB-equipped Wing actually had range and worked. Maintenance was a snap for any competent owner and could be accomplished in a fraction of the time compared to the Spyder. Oh, and I could ride on gravel or dirt roads without worrying that I might split the damn drive belt. The foot brake was easy to operate and without the need to raise one's leg and the hand brake was a two-finger operation instead of a fist full. I could raise and lower the windshield fully without worrying that I might break the brackets. And, I could park any of the bikes for months without the need for a battery maintainer.

There are Honda shops, both official and independent all over the place, and none charge $300 for an oil change. None of the bikes needed a proprietary diagnostic tool for simple troubleshooting and I could install aftermarket lighting without disabling the factory lights. The bikes were faster in a straight line (accelleration was also a good deal quicker) and through corners and there was no nanny deciding what my riding limits were.

You didn't need an instruction manual and two hands to start the engine or shift into reverse and you could put the key on a standard ring without buying an accessory. And did I mention the bikes were substantially less expensive?

Spyder Garage

I think that sums it up pretty good for me too.

But I'm having some long breaks from riding and don't consider myself "good at it" yet.
    Might take a couple of thousand miles for me........after riding 2 wheels for about 50 years.
    I totally agree. I’ve ridden 2 wheels for 50 years also, and when I took the RT-S for a test ride I liked it, but thought it was a bit squirrelly but that I could “grow into it” in a short while, so I bought it. Took me close to 2,000 km’s before I felt totally at ease and really enjoying it for what it is. It’s NOT a motorcycle as we know it, it’s a great ride of it’s own. Just my .02 worth.
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Spyder Garage

Well I have to disagree with some of the latest posts here. There is know such thing as a non stop to

Seattle or Middle of Nebraska to Phoenix. Potty stops unless you have a relief tube would be one. Another

would be Gas, remember. This is not non stop. Over my vast experience of over 65 years of riding (66 in

April) and 125+ motorcycles, scooters, trikes, S&S four wheels, ATV's, UTV's and yes even a Mustang

Thoroughbred (B-17 GPU engine on a scooter frame) I have never been able to ride any further than the

gas in the tank would take me. Then I had to stop. I did ride 340 miles on one tank of gas with my BMW

RT1200. It was not an Iron Butt ride but my butt still felt like Iron.

Of all these various wonderful machines I would say the Spyder is probably to me the most comfortable.

Sure we would all like to be bombing around on our Harley Ultra Classics and about to turn 78 I still can

but its moving it around in the garage and no reverse that made me rethink my riding habits and start to

"downsize". After some artificial body parts the Spyder came along at my wife urgings and I hate to admit

it, yep she was right!

We men suffer from this macho thing about trikes and what other (may or may not) people think. Easy

Rider said it right. We need to adjust to our declining abilities with age. Some on here will not admit to

that which to me indicates that there mind is deteriorating maybe faster than there bodies!

Lesson for the day is: stop fighting it and buy that Spyder. Stop telling everyone you bought it for you wife

and would never admit to touching it.

These are great experiences to ride and a wonderful machine to give your Heart to.

Jack

All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Well I have to disagree with some of the latest posts here. There is know such thing as a non stop to Seattle or Middle of Nebraska to Phoenix. Potty stops unless you have a relief tube would be one. Another would be Gas, remember. This is not non stop.

Gas stops and potty breaks are permitted in Iron Butt events and they are considered non-stop.

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Of all these various wonderful machines I would say the Spyder is probably to me the most comfortable.
    Then you are a lucky, lucky man. Personally, I was more comfy on my Suzuki Bandit.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=RinconRyder;1331687][/SIZE]
    Gas stops and potty breaks are permitted in Iron Butt events and they are considered non-stop.

That's cheating!
    Never been able to understand why someone would want to ride a thousand miles in a 24 hr period so I tried one. I still don't understand. I guess it's a Macho thing or a small Libido." It's always more fun at the finish line than the actual race". (Mario Andretti) or "I don't know how I survived that". Malcolm Smith.

Jack

Last edited by jaherbst; 01-25-2018 at 11:02 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Took me closer to 3000 miles before I figured out to go right turn the bars right and to go left turn the bars left. The longer you rode two wheeler, the longer the transition is my cry. I really wish my RT had a brake lever on the handlebar....

I am selling my two wheelers...

Spyder Garage

I 'liked it' the moment I first saw it, before even trying it. Liked it so much that I went out and bought one. Admittedly, this only happened after a lot of reading here on SpyderLovers, and some checking with others. The missus and I also did take an all-too-brief test ride to determine whether we really wanted to get into this 'late-life madness' together, before we ran out of time and ability. She was thrilled; I just smiled.

It had been almost 40 years since I had owned a bike or done any serious riding, and even that was rather limited. Being in our later 70's, I wasn't going to put us out there on 2 wheels, but we did want to ride. So, a Spyder was the best answer. Once purchased, the first couple of weeks were tentative as we got used to the Spyder's idiosyncrasies and tendency to feel 'twitchy' to a new owner. Then we began to relax, and love blossomed from like; I'd say that was around the 500-mile mark. Now, you couldn't pry it away. Every single mile has been FUN!!!
    Last edited by bushrat; 01-26-2018 at 06:30 AM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

I must admit that I was scared of my F3-S once it was delivered. It looked a lot longer and a lot wider than it did in the showroom. My doubts started from the start. Seemed such a palaver to even start the thing. Key, then 3 second wait as you press ECO button to acknowledge the warning, find the starter button. No starter, engine cut-off switch accidentally operated. Then once it fires, burst of high revs without even touching the throttle. Always taught never to high rev from cold. Engage gear, loud crash of gears, thought 'that cant be right. Tried to pull away and find the parking brake is still on.

Rode it carefully up my road to a nearby almost empty car park for a practice. By this time was getting worried, the sensitive throttle and instant response, not knowing if I could stop it, seemed that I was not in control of the monster. Took a short ride around some quiet roads. Not happy, seemed like it was in control of me rather than other way around. Went home a bit depressed, I'd spent all this money on something I did not enjoy. I put a post on this forum expressing my doubts and some kind person replied " get 500 miles under your belt and you will love it".

How right they were but it took somewhat less than 500. Now I absolutely love, love, love it and grab every excuse for a ride. Best thing since sliced bread.

Spyder Garage

Dirty Harry: A man needs to understand his own limitations.
    This sounds good, and may work well for you; but, I see all to often where people use age as an excuse to slow down, and end up with all kinds of limitations. My point of view is from a physical therapist working in a hospital, short term rehab setting. Okay, now back to the real topic. It took me a few weekends, traveling to where my Spyder was stored after purchasing, and riding roads I was not familiar with. I'd ride around 30 or miles each time, and did that on 4 separate occasions. Then came the big challenge, traveling around 75 miles to home, in traffic. As I went, it got easier. As for loving the spyder, I don't check on before I go to bed, and give it a kiss or a pat on its tank, or tuck it in for the night, like some do. It just gets me from point A to B to C...............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I really didn't have any declining abilities.
    Let's hope that you live long enough so that your ability to hold up a 2 wheeler does decline.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]
    Please do not make your text so small.
    My eyesight is declining too !!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    I really wish my RT had a brake lever on the handlebar....
    For about $1300 plus labor that can be "fixed".
    But my local Ride Now shop refuses to do it for me.
    That is the final nail in their coffin for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    This sounds good, and may work well for you; but, I see all to often where people use age as an excuse to slow down, and end up with all kinds of limitations. .
    When I was 20, I could lift my own body weight from the floor to over my head.
    Trying to do so now would just be stupid.
    Not only has the weight gone up but the strength and balance has gone down.

Exercise and staying in good shape for your age is important.......but there STILL will be limitations.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don'tPanic View Post
    I've heard someone say it takes 300 miles to get used to the Spyder and fall in love with it if you only used to riding 2-wheelers. Before that mark you might hate it and regret the purchase.
    I wasn't victim to this, since I haven't owned a proper motorcycle and the only substantial experience I've had on 2 wheels was during my MSF course years ago.

So, how long did it take you to start liking your ryde?
    I would say 3 miles or 3 minutes - whichever comes first.......
    My 2018 should be arriving and day now. even though I can't ride it in this weather, it will look good sitting in my garage!! (this is my 4th Spyder - first a 2010, then 2012, a 2014 and now the 2018..)
    would you say I like Spyders???
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

I started loving it only after I got laser alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    ...As for loving the spyder, I don't check on before I go to bed, and give it a kiss or a pat on its tank, or tuck it in for the night, like some do. It just gets me from point A to B to C...............
    Aw, c'mon Wylie! Nobody said anything about making love with their Spyder.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=jaherbst;1331688]
    [/SIZE]

That's cheating!
    Never been able to understand why someone would want to ride a thousand miles in a 24 hr period so I tried one. I still don't understand. I guess it's a Macho thing or a small Libido." It's always more fun at the finish line than the actual race". (Mario Andretti) or "I don't know how I survived that". Malcolm Smith.

Jack

Simply wanted to get home.

Lexington, NE to Tempe, AZ = 18 hrs 1,131 mi. non-stop
    Seattle, WA to Tempe, AZ = 31 hours (140 miles in heavy snow) 1,500 miles non-stop
    Tempe, AZ to Orange, TX = 32 hours 1,300 miles 1 stop for heavy rain

All of these were done within the past five years on Touring bikes. None will ever be done on a Spyder.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    Took me closer to 3000 miles before I figured out to go right turn the bars right and to go left turn the bars left. The longer you rode two wheeler, the longer the transition is my cry. I really wish my RT had a brake lever on the handlebar....

I am selling my two wheelers...
    Before you sign up for the hand brake find a Spyder that has one and give it a try. The pull is a LOT harder than anything you experienced on a two-wheeler. Unless you have above average hand strength you may not like it. I can use it but wifey can't pull it. Lots of money to spend on something not totally useful.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't want anyone to take my post the wrong way. I am not bashing anyone who likes their Spyder nor am I trying to dissuade anyone from owning one. I am just giving my opinion.

For me, nothing will replace a two-wheeler and as a standalone product I feel Can-Am has a ton of work to do to produce a reliable machine which does not need the expertise of a Ferrari mechanic and a complex set of diagnostic devices to troubleshoot and a dealer network that can back up the product. The Can-Am engineers (?) went to a lot of trouble using some of the most complex and unnecessary gadgets and completely overlooked some very worthwhile features (rock guard and suspension that actually work, hand brake standard, placement of controls, quality tires, seat location, production QC, etc.).

Right now I would rank the Spyder below Harley in all categories except presentation (i.e. "looks cool") and that is a terrible ranking.

If the wife doesn't start riding it pretty soon it will go on the blocks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'd say that it took me about 2 miles to figure out that it wasn't going to kill me...

... and probably 500 miles to START to get the hang of it!
    Yessiree, I'd agree with that.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't want anyone to take my post the wrong way. I am not bashing anyone who likes their Spyder nor am I trying to dissuade anyone from owning one. I am just giving my opinion.

For me, nothing will replace a two-wheeler and as a standalone product I feel Can-Am has a ton of work to do to produce a reliable machine which does not need the expertise of a Ferrari mechanic and a complex set of diagnostic devices to troubleshoot and a dealer network that can back up the product. The Can-Am engineers (?) went to a lot of trouble using some of the most complex and unnecessary gadgets and completely overlooked some very worthwhile features (rock guard and suspension that actually work, hand brake standard, placement of controls, quality tires, seat location, production QC, etc.).

Right now I would rank the Spyder below Harley in all categories except presentation (i.e. "looks cool") and that is a terrible ranking.

If the wife doesn't start riding it pretty soon it will go on the blocks.
    sounds like you really dislike the Spyder
    rather than live unhappily with it in your garage, sounds like you'd feel better if it were gone
    I say sell it now