Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Does it really take 300 miles?

I've heard someone say it takes 300 miles to get used to the Spyder and fall in love with it if you only used to riding 2-wheelers. Before that mark you might hate it and regret the purchase.
    I wasn't victim to this, since I haven't owned a proper motorcycle and the only substantial experience I've had on 2 wheels was during my MSF course years ago.

So, how long did it take you to start liking your ryde?

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

1 mile to start liking it! 1000 miles to get good at it!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd say that it took me about 2 miles to figure out that it wasn't going to kill me...

... and probably 500 miles to START to get the hang of it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

On my initial test ride in Hanover, PA.... loved it immediately and still do!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It took me about 200-300 miles. Day one, I had a friend meet me at my house as it was being delivered to my house. We went on a 50 mile ride, and it was frightning to say the least. Did not ride on day 2, but on day 3, we rode from the Raleigh area to Boone, and then down the BRP. We also road 226A (the Diamondback), and then back up I-40. That was a 500 mile day. In the curves on the mountains, my buddy had purchased and was on my identical bike. He hit those curves in a major way. I said, "hey, it didn't throw him off, so I will just follow him". I had the thrill of my life and have been hooked every since.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

We bought ours after I had ridden 2 wheels for 50 years . I was building a restaurant in Medford OR. at the time and there is a great dealer there. my wife would no longer ride with me on two wheels because of my bad knees and ankle so we decided to go to three wheels. I rode the spyder back to the RV park where we were staying and my wife drove the car, it was only about 5 miles away. We loaded up and headed for the California Coastal Redwoods down 101 the first 50 miles I thought I had made a $24,000 mistake, It took about 200 miles to get in the groove. We rode all weekend and did not return to the job site until 7:00 am Monday morning. The next weekend we rode to Crater Lake . That was in May of 2013 and by December we had put 24,000 miles on it. The next spring my wife went out and bought her own RTL and she had no learning curve as she had never ridden a bike by herself only behind me. I now have a 2014 RTL and She has a 2015 RTL. I retire this coming December and then we really get to run the wheels off of them.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have been riding motorcycle's for over 60 years. My first ride, a test ride I really did not know if it was for me. I decided to purchase it a 2015 Can Am Spyder RT with 10,200 miles on it. It was just like new it had really been taken care of. It was my first used bike other than a 2001 BMW K1200LT that I purchased in 2003. I purchased it not knowing if I would like it and then purchase a new one in 2005. I would have purchased a new Spyder but did not know if I would like it. Where I purchased it was a 80 mile ride home. When I got home I really thought I had did the wrong thing I did not like it. I purchased it from a Honda dealer that had it on consignment and did not know a thing about Spyder's. I did not know how to start it with the mod button, how to use the speed control where to put the gas in. It was different riding into corners. No body had told me anything about one. After getting home I read the operator's guide completely. Then went to the Spyder and checked everything it said to do. Then riding it I did feel a little better but had wished I had not traded my 2015 Gold Wing F6B for it. Every ride I took with it I liked it better. I would say it took 500 miles before I could say I really liked it. You see a lot of late model ones with very few miles on them for sale in dealer's show rooms and on the internet. I think it is a lot of people don't keep them long enough to like them. The only think I can see is they are a little complicated to work on or service. I have been a mechanic all my life and can do all my own service and tire changing. If you have a good dealer and don't mind the expense that is no problem. In the past I have always put so miles on a year that if you don't do your own service it gets pretty expensive. I do love the thing and if my health stays good I will purchase a new one.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default TBD

Coming from 2-wheels, I've only logged about 100 miles since picking up my Spyder this past weekend, so I'll get back to you on that!
    I will say that the 20-mile ride home from the dealership was very nerve-wracking...with the exception of the last 2 miles...and one brief stop in a parking lot, where I realized I was facing downhill...and had no choice but to use Reverse gear

The next day, I took a 70-mile ride on familiar roads with a friend on his VFR...asked to follow so I could focus on learning rather than leading...most of this ride was fine, including wide sweepers, but the narrower turns and twists were a bit more challenging to "hold my line"...though I am sure I will get used to it.
    But I had few issues with using the paddle-shift up or down, and I think I only grabbed for a non-existent brake lever once.

More to come if the NJ weather remains above 50 this weekend!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    1 mile to start liking it! 1000 miles to get good at it!
    I think that sums it up pretty good for me too.

But I'm having some long breaks from riding and don't consider myself "good at it" yet.
    Might take a couple of thousand miles for me........after riding 2 wheels for about 50 years.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default First Ride

I would say for me, In the first 2 miles. The next 50 miles was the learning curve from 2 wheels to the Spyder. My real deal was a 3 hour ride and 150 miles enjoying the country and the views. (NO Interstate riding.) Now after riding over 8,000 miles in 2 years and riding some Interstates, I Really Enjoy my 2016 RTL Spyder.
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Picked mine up last weekend after 40+ years on 2 wheels, first 50 miles were pretty tense.
    I would say it was a couple hundred miles to get comfortable with the ride difference, still working on the tight twisties.

My wife took it around the block with me on the back, which never would've NEVER happened on 2 wheels.
    Now she's looking at taking the course to get her endorsement. Only potential regret for me might be the purchase of a 2nd one in a year or so.

Spyder Garage

Default My saga is a bit longer

My saga is a bit longer:
    Context: Jacque and I used to ride together on my various 2-wheeled bikes, but a few years ago we stopped riding together as being on the back was no longer comfortable for her. We decided we wanted to ride together again; but how?

• In approximately 2013 I tried a Spyder at my local dealer and was glad I made it back from the test drive alive. Nope, this is not for me!
    • About a 6 months later I tried a Harley trike and felt about the same way.
    • I continued to research new and used options and found a late model Harley trike for sale by an individual. He both took me for a ride and then let me drive. I purchased the trike from him as it seemed like I could get used to it and Jacque and I could ride together.
    • Jacque and I rode the Harley trike for 6 months with my having mixed feelings about it. I liked that we had the stability of 3 wheels, but I hated the performance and general lack of quality in the bike. It was hot, shifting was crap, steering was heavy, it was challenging on rounded roads, etc. I still had the Spyder itch.
    • In 2015 I decided I would try a Spyder again, but was convinced I must get a manual transmission. However, the local dealer had no demo manual transmission bikes. So, I tried the SE6 and didn’t think much of the shifting, but at least I felt I could ride it. I did several demo rides and finally got that the shifting was quite nice if I would leave the throttle set at a speed and then shift. I was giving it throttle and then releasing as you would a manual transmission bike, which results in a rough shift.
    • Now I’ve decided I want the ride and quality of the Spyder RT vs. the Harley. At the same time Jacque, who has never had a bike, is loving the look of the F3 and is acting like she would like to try one. She’s now acting like she would like to drive vs. being a passenger.
    • I was unable to make a deal with my local RideNow dealer for an RT. Unfortunately every Spyder dealer in Tucson, and nearly all of AZ, is RideNow.
    • I looked up AZ Spyder dealers and found Sierra Cycles in Sierra Vista, AZ. I was most pleased that they were a family owned independent dealer. Sierra Vista is 1.5 hours from Tucson so that’s not too bad. I surf their website and they actually tell you about the ownership and staff.
    • I phone Barry Levitt, owner, and in about 20 minutes we do a deal over the phone for an RTL and F3S (a surprise for Jacque) and it includes the trade-in of my Harley Softail CVO and my Harley Trike.
    • We drive to Sierra Vista to pick up my bike and Jacque is surprised with the F3S for her. She is ecstatic, but scared about driving it. She practices in their parking lot and after an hour or so we head back to Tucson. She gets her license and has loved every minute since. She has no issues with anything because she doesn’t have a 2-wheeled experience to compare it to.
    • This was not so much the case for me. It took me about a month to get really comfortable and another couple of months to stop trying to find the front wheel brake lever on the bar.
    • Now, nearly 3 years later, I’ve never enjoyed any bike more than my RTL. I’ve also enjoyed the relationship I’ve built with Sierra Cycles. I’ll never go back to two wheels.

Lessons Learned: There are many, but first I’ll limit to I’m fortunate to find an independent family-owned dealership that really understands customer service. Secondly throughout this two-year process, Spyder owners told me “just get one, you will love it once you get used to it”. I could have saved a lot of money if I had listened to them. Third, I’ve never enjoyed riding anything (Harley, BMW, Honda, Suzuki …) like I now enjoy my Spyder.

Quote Originally Posted by Don'tPanic View Post
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

rode one in Valcourt in 2008 and hated every second of it......took me a while to warm up to it but now its all good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'd say that it took me about 2 miles to figure out that it wasn't going to kill me...

... and probably 500 miles to START to get the hang of it!
    I'd say that's about accurate for me too.

But I would add that I really started to LOVE it after I got it laser-aligned and the upgraded swaybar installed!
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Default 300 Miles

Purchased a 2012 RTS rode it 200 miles and thought I would kill myself. I read everything I could find on riding it and tried everything and still hated it. After a 1,000 miles I put a for sale sign on it. Than put on Baja Rons sway bar and loved it ever since. What a difference I felt safe for the first time.

Jim

Spyder Garage

I would say you need about 500 miles to really "learn to ride comfortably". If you have experience on a Quad or Snowmobile, it may come to you sooner. That said there are folks out there that has gone further than that and never really "loved" it.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Default My Sate Farm...

I have been riding since I was 11, bought a Honda 50 Sport. Many years and 24 bikes later my health got to where I had trouble holding
    2 wheels up at a stop. I was riding a 2004 BMW R1150RTn my favorite bike of all time. The dealer I dealt with had a shop in New Philadelphia
    Ohio. He had a 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan conversion for sale on consignment. It had less than 1000 miles on it. I was able to buy it
    for $12,000, unbelievable deal. I thought it was the ultimate ride.
    I was out riding one day and had to stop for gas. At the next pump was my State Farm agent, he was riding a 2012 RTL, I didn't know he
    owned one. As we left it started raining, I followed him and couldn't keep up. So I checked out the new 2013 RTL but it was out of my
    range. Then in 2014 I did ride a new RT-S. I went home and got my BMW title and a deal was made. It was a 100 mile ride home on twisty roads.
    I was thinking what have I done? It was scary. It took me 1000 miles to get good at riding it.
    I loved the BMW RT I owned but I really love this Spyder. It has 148,000 miles on it now in 3 riding seasons. Best bike by far I've ever owned!
    Chuck in Ohio

I've heard someone say it takes 300 miles to get used to the Spyder and fall in love with it if you only used to riding 2-wheelers. Before that mark you might hate it and regret the purchase.
    I wasn't victim to this, since I haven't owned a proper motorcycle and the only substantial experience I've had on 2 wheels was during my MSF course years ago.

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

We have ryders coming from all sorts of experiences in mode of travel and play. They all have different approches to the spyder and it will depend on where you are coming from and how you feel about it. Having ridden most all types and varied number of wheel formation, many home made, I had no problem getting on the spyder and going. I bought it with out testing it but had to come back the next day because I did not go with that intention and did not bring a helmet. Those with apprehension, doubt and fear need more time to relax and enjoy the ryde....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Took me more like 600 miles to get really used and comfortable with my Spyder. It varies. The less 2 wheel experience you have the faster you get used to the Spyder. The more 2 wheel experience you have the longer the conversion takes.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I rode two wheelers for about 50 years. Took a new 2008 GS on a test ride and almost crashed. I bought one anyway. I tell most two wheel riders I think it takes about a 1000 miles to erase some of the two wheel habits and learn how the Spyder handles.

Spyder Garage

Default 100

i'd say about 100 miles of WHITE KNUCKLES.....

after which, it's always been MILES of SMILES for me....

i bought my 1st SPYD3R in 2009, and RS SE5.... on my first venture, which was less than 10 miles, i just couldn't figure out what this thing was doing.... i thought to myself; "wow, i just wasted a bucket-load of money".... but since i spent so much, i was determined to work things out - and i'm here to tell you it's been absolutely thrilling for me... i put just over 51,000 miles of smiles on my RS, and then in 2015, Feb. i got my now F3, and turned 44,000 miles of smiles on this one.... can't explain just how happy i am with both my SPYD3Rs, and i'm certain that you will be also once you get use to it...
    enjoy and ride safely....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default How long did it take ??

The FIRST STOP SIGN where I didn't have to put my feet down

Spyder Garage

Default As soon as we drove it off the Lot

We liked it as soon as we drove it off the lot, I say we as we ride two up all the time, she wont let me leave without her. But it took a few hundred to get really use to it. We have a 13 RTL

Spyder Garage

As many others have said, I liked it immediately, but it took at least 500–600 miles before I really started having fun on the curves again.

I love my Spyder, but I do occasionally miss doing the curves on my HD. Then I get home to my gravel driveway and reverse into my garage, and remember the many reasons I'll never go back to 2 wheels.
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

Default I agree with Bob and newbert about the ryde...

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    I'd say that's about accurate for me too.

But I would add that I really started to LOVE it after I got it laser-aligned and the upgraded swaybar installed!
    Bob had said...2 miles to figure out it wasn't going to kill me and about 500 to get the hang of it...

After years of riding two-up we got our Spyder. Immediately was more comfortable and we felt safer. But we had get miles on it to finally relax. I think the are still indents where I had gripped the handles so tightly in those first 100 miles!! Now, we sit back and relax and enjoy the ryde.
    Jim
    Last edited by BigGuy66; 01-24-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)