Spyder Garage

Default ECO mode ? What's the purpose ?

ECO mode display shows on the screen. Already has the UP arrow above the "O." Do NOT see any arrow in the gear location on the lower left screen. What's happening, or NOT happening.

Spyder Garage

To deactivate: (No Eco or arrows showing)--hold the MODE button in for about three seconds--it will go away. Opposite to activate.

ECO changes the gearing a bit and is supposed to save you a bit on gas because you will end up shifting at slightly lower rpm's.

Most do not like it. Always looking for the arrow to shift up is distracting. Gas savings (if you faithfully use it) are 1/2 to 1 mpg.

I shift at about 3500 rpm (up) and do it by sound and feel. 38 - 40 mpg consistently. I let the downshift on its own 98% of the time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBug View Post
    ECO mode display shows on the screen. Already has the UP arrow above the "O." Do NOT see any arrow in the gear location on the lower left screen. What's happening, or NOT happening.
    What year and model Spyder ?
    What "O" on what screen.....the main one ??

The shift arrow only shows up as you are accelerating......telling you the lowest recommended RPM to shift. It replaces the "current gear" number display.

I have heard that it changes the throttle mapping a bit, making response to throttle changes smoother and slower.
    Someone also said that the response while the cruise is set is slightly different.

Spyder Garage

Your operator's guide explains all about how the ECO mode works.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    To deactivate: (No Eco or arrows showing)--hold the MODE button in for about three seconds--it will go away. Opposite to activate.

ECO changes the gearing a bit and is supposed to save you a bit on gas because you will end up shifting at slightly lower rpm's.

Most do not like it. Always looking for the arrow to shift up is distracting. Gas savings (if you faithfully use it) are 1/2 to 1 mpg.

I shift at about 3500 rpm (up) and do it by sound and feel. 38 - 40 mpg consistently. I let the downshift on its own 98% of the time.

Like he said
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

Good information above but to your questions.... It is there to calm the screams of the EPA. It is supposed to save you money / gas under normal operation by telling you how to drive your spyder. This can be equally achieved for a lot less by staying at the speed limit and shifting before your ready.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default The real reason..............

It's to make that crappy Kenda rear tire last longer.