Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Change

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... I also have an RT with the 1330 engine .... I also do ALL my maintenance ..... I really cannot believe how sucking the oil out the filler tube is faster than just removing the two drain plugs ......Those drains aren't covered or hidden by ANY panels .....and as was said above getting the crap out with a suction device isn't going to happen ....... JMHO .... Mike
    I agree, it might take me 45-50 minuets for oil and filter. I drain the oil first and while it is draining I take off the panels by that time oil is drained. Install the filter, add the oil and button it up. Having magic mirrors helps. 2014 RT......1330.......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had way too many bad experiences over the years that finally turned me into a DIY'er. First, a quality dealership will never hide their service department from the customer's view. You may not go in it with out permission, but you can always view it at anytime. If you get a response to a question such as, "well that depends," watch out that person likely doesn't know what he/she's doing. Another one is regarding warrantee work. If you get "well,,,,,,, we'll have to see if that's covered or not by the warrantee." Again, they are looking for wiggle room to get you to pay prevailing shop rate for the repair. The responses you should receive are, "let us take a look at it and we can give you more accurate answer," or "let's check that first and it just might be covered by your warrantee." Questions met with positive responses first, are nearly always an indication of a competent trustworthy dealership.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike1952 View Post
    in mobile al they get $350 for oil change
    For a Spyder or BMW? I went into sticker shock when yearly service on my motorcycle jumped from $150 to $350 on a BMW 800.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I've had way too many bad experiences over the years that finally turned me into a DIY'er. First, a quality dealership will never hide their service department from the customer's view. You may not go in it with out permission, but you can always view it at anytime. If you get a response to a question such as, "well that depends," watch out that person likely doesn't know what he/she's doing.
    This whole thread is getting me nervous. When I bought my Spyder they had a deal where they pick up the Spyder in a 30 mile radius (they are in a town of 1100 people, and that will get them to all of Salem/Keizer), service it and deliver it back. Three services for $250. They said service normally costs $155 if I drop it off. Now I am wondering if they are going to suck out the oil and sent it back or worse do nothing.

Spyder Garage

i know of a dealership where you cannot see their garage and you sure as heck are not allowed to talk to the technician to even ask a question. you must go thru the service advisor and then they will ask the tech your questions and then relay the info to you. crazy!!!
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    i know of a dealership where you cannot see their garage and you sure as heck are not allowed to talk to the technician to even ask a question. you must go thru the service advisor and then they will ask the tech your questions and then relay the info to you. crazy!!!
    Yes it is! I would very suspect of that dealership.

"This whole thread is getting me nervous. When I bought my Spyder they had a deal where they pick up the Spyder in a 30 mile radius (they are in a town of 1100 people, and that will get them to all of Salem/Keizer), service it and deliver it back. Three services for $250. They said service normally costs $155 if I drop it off. Now I am wondering if they are going to suck out the oil and sent it back or worse do nothing."

I wouldn't be overly concerned, however, I'd investigate any suspicions you have with questions and personal contact. I think this dealer has a very good idea and is going the extra step in providing a valuable customer service. I could be wrong, but check it out and if it's good news, spread it around. Good dealers as well as poor dealers need the appropriate recognition. $155 is not bad if it includes a safety inspection other adjustments and any updates that may be required. It's certainly better than $300+ that's been reported here on this site.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    For a Spyder or BMW? I went into sticker shock when yearly service on my motorcycle jumped from $150 to $350 on a BMW 800.
    Since you have a 1330 and not a 998 you are lucky. The "valve check" service recommended every 14K miles (for 998's) adds another $800 or so to the package (very labor intensive). I did two of those before I got smart and decided they were not worth the effort.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE

I contacted BRP care. They were very responsive and got back to me within just a couple of hours. The Service Advisor was wrong (as I thought he might be). In order to not jeopardize my warranty, both the oil AND filter need to be changed every 9,300 miles or one year which ever comes first. I will take this information back to the dealer and allow them the opportunity to "make it right". Stay tuned.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I contacted BRP care. They were very responsive and got back to me within just a couple of hours. The Service Advisor was wrong (as I thought he might be). In order to not jeopardize my warranty, both the oil AND filter need to be changed every 9,300 miles or one year which ever comes first. I will take this information back to the dealer and allow them the opportunity to "make it right". Stay tuned.....
    .......and if push comes to shove, I bet your dealer will say that you agreed to the “suck” option as you were in a hurry and not prepared to wait until the shop could do the job properly, and their lawyers will back them up. Here’s hoping they decide to do the right thing by you

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I have not had any good experience with Ride Now Power Sports so did not go there. We Ride Power Sports is about 2 miles from my home. That particular dealership has changed their name (and presumably ownership) 3 times in the last 10 years. The newest being in the last 10 months. There are only 2 people in the entire dealership that I recognize from the previous owner/name. Pretty chaotic in the entire store. What they were able to do in one hour last May now earns them 2 hours billing time.....? They charge $2.00 per minute. I will do my own from now on.
    I am very familiar with that dealership and lived just south of there, until about 2 years ago. I had similar experiences as yours. I even had to explain to the service advisor and mechanic what they needed to do to my M109 and Spyder before. I even pulled up the forums to show them the cause and fix before. That was years ago and when I first started riding. The problem with that is you either have them or Ride Now, which suck as well. There is the dealership out by Fountain Hills, we bought our Spyder from them with a Service Contract at the beginning and didn't find that they were much better, but they were decent in getting services done but always leaved the hand grips on the Spyder oily and never cleaned up the side of the motor from the SE filter. I lived in the Valley for the past 15+ years and was never able to find a decent wrench until I just decided to do my own.

One option you might be able to try is go to a "Motorcycles on Main" one Friday night and meet up will other Spyders and see if anyone does their own and see if you could pay them to work on your Spyder. I have done this a few times, and let them help and watch as I worked on their Spyder.

This way if you didn't know, they can educate some and help you do the maintenance in the future, atleast that was my intent when I worked on others bikes. I wasn't in it for the $$, but just to help someone out.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

I spoke with the new Service Manager about this. He was very receptive and said the owner hired him to "clean up" problems like I had. He said to bring the bike in and he will make sure I have a complete new oil AND filter change. He also told me he will have a "come to Jesus" talk with the service advisor who misled me. Appointment is set for this Friday and, in all fairness to the new manager, I will allow him an opportunity to fix the problem. Again, stay tuned.....
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I spoke with the new Service Manager about this. He was very receptive and said the owner hired him to "clean up" problems like I had. He said to bring the bike in and he will make sure I have a complete new oil AND filter change. He also told me he will have a "come to Jesus" talk with the service advisor who misled me. Appointment is set for this Friday and, in all fairness to the new manager, I will allow him an opportunity to fix the problem. Again, stay tuned.....
    If they follow through and keep their word--it sounds like your good to go.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Service completed at no charge

Dropped the bike off this morning. Full oil AND filter change at no charge to me. The new Service Manager is good to deal with. I am still not happy with the original Service Advisor. He is new also and my bet is he won't last long. I really hope the new Manager gets this place running like a good dealership should. I am cautiously optimistic.....
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

So things are looking up!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

FYI: I read somewhere that all new Mercedes cars now use the "suck" method to change oil. In fact, there are no drain plugs.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL CHANGE/S

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    FYI: I read somewhere that all new Mercedes cars now use the "suck" method to change oil. In fact, there are no drain plugs.
    ....Well that " SUCKS " ..... ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I guess I wont be trading my Mercedes in for a new one,Mine has a drain plug and can do all my own servicing myself. An SEC Grand Touring Sport Coup.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors