Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13 RT recall

Spyder Garage

Default 13 RT recall

So, I have read about the recall....but what was done.....how does one tell if it was done?
    I ask as I just picked up a 13 RT-S with 208 miles.....no idea about its history....I have read that it affected all 13's but ran the vin on the gov't site and it came up negative....info pls.

Spyder Garage

On the Rt Ltd there were black scoop add under mirrors and the engine was modified along with some insulation under topper ware . For the RTS, I think there was a similar change. Take to dealer, they can verify if done, if not should do with no charge.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
    So, I have read about the recall....but what was done.....how does one tell if it was done?
    I ask as I just picked up a 13 RT-S with 208 miles.....no idea about its history....I have read that it affected all 13's but ran the vin on the gov't site and it came up negative....info pls.

That one got new air scoops in the front. It should be obvious if they were installed. That one may need some servicing. 208 miles in 5 years??? A dealer check is recommended. Yours may be one of the no scoops sitting around. Any dealer can run the VIN and give you the history.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-15-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

vcm_s_kf_m160_160x106.jpgAs mentioned above the scoops seen here under the mirrors will be the best indicator that the recall was done. Also there is a real drop in operating temperature too.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Mine are painted, but here is what the scoops look like. At the very top of the picture. Click on the picture for a larger view. A hole is cut in the Tupperware beneath them for air flow. Lots of other stuff was done too as part of the heat management recall.

20160927_140527 (1).jpg
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Link to look up your VIN BRP's website

Here is a link to BRP's web site where you can check. Just key in your VIN # and click verify. (It can also be found on the Spyder main page, just scroll all the way down to the bottom)

https://www.brp.ca/spyder/owners/saf...in-lookup.html

Spyder Garage

Default 13 rt recall

thanks for the response.....this one does have the black honey comb inserts under the mirrors.....had a couple of clear items in the same shape in the trunk....I guess that's what was replaced.....as far as anything else Ill have to have a dealer take a look I guess.....I see in the manual that it should be a break in until 600 miles.....Ill take it in then.....Was told that a guy bought the machine for his wife and something happened???? I'm told he just traded it in for a pickup.....as far as condition etc..its brand new....the manuals etc were still wrapped.

Spyder Garage

I do believe if it was my Spyder that I would change the oil and filter for sure before I rode it very far. That oil is almost 5 years old and you could do damage to your engine.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

This was not a recall but simply a service bulletin. It was labeled "a gesture of goodwill". I owned a new 2013 RTS and was one of the test "bunnies" for Arizona. Numerous things and retrofits were done to my Spyder. None were successful. 2013 was to be the year the 1330 engine was to be introduced. It had a new frame and suspension. The 1330 engine was not ready and they reverse engineered the frame to accept the old 998 engine. This resulted in the engine and exhaust to be mounted too high just below the fuel tank producing extreme heat and fuel fumes. I sent required reports to BRP weekly. My fuel tank temperatures using a laser temp probe were 160 to 200 degrees here with the summer temps. No progress was ever made up until I gave up and traded for a 2014. Later the scoop Idea which most of us kept telling them finally made a significant difference. Take it to an official BRP Spyder dealer and they should work with BRP to get this "Scoop modification" installed at no cost.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Recalls

Quote Originally Posted by Larry rt View Post
    On the Rt Ltd there were black scoop add under mirrors and the engine was modified along with some insulation under topper ware . For the RTS, I think there was a similar change. Take to dealer, they can verify if done, if not should do with no charge.

Have there been any recalls for the 2012 Can Am Spyder RT-SE5?

Spyder Garage

Default Maybe a better view of the scoops

My scoops are black,in addition to the scoop they removed an acoustic insulation panel on each side just below and behind the new scoops and also some bracing. They also changed the fuel supply system, all those changes made the 2013 run cooler. I did not pay anything for this warranty work, when it was convenient i let them have it to work on for a week, then picked it up.
    I believe others with years earlier or later have had the scoops added for increased airflow and cooling, they need to check with their dealer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

thanks for the response.....this one does have the black honey comb inserts under the mirrors.....
    All of the RTs have a honeycomb grill under the mirror. The recall fix removed those grills and replaced them with a large air scoop with a honey comb grill facing forward. Here's a bigger picture of what you want to see on your Spyder.

Front left air scoop.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    I do believe if it was my Spyder that I would change the oil and filter for sure before I rode it very far. That oil is almost 5 years old and you could do damage to your engine.
    I would seriously consider changing it twice to flush that nasty stuff out of there.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

The 2013 RT was indeed a real NHTSA mandated recall. Not a service bulletin.

Many older RTs were also fitted with the scoops as a good will gesture. But the fuel system changes and scoops were a safety recall on the 2013 RT.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The good news: If all of the recall work was completed; you just bought the best of the 998 bikes, and it's almost brand new!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Recall

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

Many older RTs were also fitted with the scoops as a good will gesture. But the fuel system changes and scoops were a safety recall on the 2013 RT.
    Yup. And for the OP - if you want the document for your files, or to jog your dealer's memory, a PDF version can be found here....

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...eat_Recall.pdf

I'd like to give credit for this link - I think it might be Finless Bob's, just can't remember.

I understand the machine wasn't actually in a barn, but nice barn find.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

I stand corrected, it was a safety recall for the 2013 but not the earlier models.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Hello @Tatonka,

Congratulations on your new to you unit. We would be happy to look into that recall for you. Could you kindly please send us your VIN number and contact information to brp.care@brp.com and we will have someone reach out to you.

Thank you
    Stephanie-BRPcare
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hello @Tatonka,

Congratulations on your new to you unit. We would be happy to look into that recall for you. Could you kindly please send us your VIN number and contact information to brp.care@brp.com and we will have someone reach out to you.

Thank you
    Stephanie-BRPcare
    BRP HQ got me registered as owner....impressive they monitor the site and offer such assistance...don't remember that happening with any of my previous H-Ds.....
    The gentleman I purchased this unit from, NeilKetnerMotors.com, Winston -Salem NC,
    just let me know the unit was at the dealer there...all recalls done...0 miles on the oil....
    Neil sells online and will ship anywhere ....if your in the market check out his website.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you got a good dealer too. I love my '13 by the way, If you want an Akrapovic Exhaust, Leaders RPM has the normally $900ish Akrapovic Sport Silencer Exhaust Kit for $299.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

BRP HQ got me registered as owner....impressive they monitor the site and offer such assistance...don't remember that happening with any of my previous H-Ds.....
    The gentleman I purchased this unit from, NeilKetnerMotors.com, Winston -Salem NC,
    just let me know the unit was at the dealer there...all recalls done...0 miles on the oil....
    Neil sells online and will ship anywhere ....if your in the market check out his website.
    You should still change the oil and have the full service done. The manual states a time period in addition to mileage for all of the services and your machine is definitely overdue on time.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You should still change the oil and have the full service done. The manual states a time period in addition to mileage for all of the services and your machine is definitely overdue on time.
    Depends on when the oil change and service was done. My assumption from his comment about the service having done at the dealer was that it was just done shortly before he bought it!

Tatonka, do you know when the dealer did the servicing? Long time ago or just recently getting the Spyder ready to sell?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Depends on when the oil change and service was done. My assumption from his comment about the service having done at the dealer was that it was just done shortly before he bought it!

Tatonka, do you know when the dealer did the servicing? Long time ago or just recently getting the Spyder ready to sell?
    they just did it.....but I'll still take it in when it hits 600 miles for break in service

Spyder Garage

Thank you, this was perfect.
    2013 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Sounds like you got a good dealer too. I love my '13 by the way, If you want an Akrapovic Exhaust, Leaders RPM has the normally $900ish Akrapovic Sport Silencer Exhaust Kit for $299.
    Hi David, sounds like you may be very familiar with the 13 RTL as I am. I am struggling with an exhaust upgrade because of a rattling muffler. seems no one remembers or offers the angled intermediate pipe between muffler and cat delete pipe, which is the same as the cat. any ideas?