Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Doing some winter maintenance, a couple of questions

This is a 2010 RT SE5. Plan was to do the first (for me) oil change. Picked up the motorcycle jack from Harbor Freight this afternoon and the bike is now jacked up, sitting on jack stands under the front A arms and the rear tire is sitting on a cinder block.

Ended up removing all the left side panels. The previous owner had some highway pegs on it that I didn't care for, so I decided to remove the main support bars. While I was underneath removing the bolts that held the supports on, I noticed some antifreeze about a foot forward. I could also see a drop hanging off the one of the forward splash panels. I had thought about doing a coolant change as well but now its not just a thought. I need to get in there and see where the leak may be. I did look at the coolant reservoir and I don't see the level from the top, so its obviously down a bit, how much down I don't know yet as I haven't gotten the right side panels off. The smallish middle side panel is being stubborn, doesn't want to pull out and I'm not trying to use too much force on it, bit as far as I know, its just held in by the rubber grommets as is the left side one.

So here are the questions:

I've read the post about draining the system by removing the lower radiator hose, but when its filled, is there any procedure other than fill it from the top through the recovery tank? Anything special about purging any air out of the system? Or do you just fill it up, run it a bit till it comes up to temp and then shut it down and check the level again?

Any good sources for a service manual? I've seen some on Ebay and they look a bit dicey to me. But if there is one that someone ordered from successfully, I guess that's one I could go with. I gotta wonder if they are selling a PDF version of the manual for 20 bucks or so, if that is fully legit?

Anything else to be on the lookout for?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
    Last edited by Eviltwin; 01-12-2018 at 06:21 PM.
    2010 RT SE5 , Black