Spyder Garage

Default Woo Hoo! Spyder is Home

Got a good deal on our "new to us" 2015 RT-S Special features. As I mentioned in a previous introduction, I have been riding Goldwings for the last twenty years and have gotten to the point that I was losing confidence in slow speed parking lot type situations with my wife on the back. To compound this I am quite short. I trailered it home, removed the trailer hitch, did the first oil change (2800 miles), polished it up and went for my first ride in the pouring rain (Western Washington)! All I can say is WOW! First mile was somewhat scary as the steering is completely different but by the time I finished my 20 mile ride I was very confident.

I have a couple of questions: What is the relationship between the Schrader valve under the seat and the firm/soft adjustment on the dash? I there really no way to turn the radio off except to turn the volume all the way down?

Thanks for all the advice I've received on this forum and I'm looking forward to warmer, dryer weather. Now to sell the Wing!

Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THINGS

Quote Originally Posted by Chappie View Post
    Got a good deal on our "new to us" 2015 RT-S Special features. As I mentioned in a previous introduction, I have been riding Goldwings for the last twenty years and have gotten to the point that I was losing confidence in slow speed parking lot type situations with my wife on the back. To compound this I am quite short. I trailered it home, removed the trailer hitch, did the first oil change (2800 miles), polished it up and went for my first ride in the pouring rain (Western Washington)! All I can say is WOW! First mile was somewhat scary as the steering is completely different but by the time I finished my 20 mile ride I was very confident.

I have a couple of questions: What is the relationship between the Schrader valve under the seat and the firm/soft adjustment on the dash? I there really no way to turn the radio off except to turn the volume all the way down?

Thanks for all the advice I've received on this forum and I'm looking forward to warmer, dryer weather. Now to sell the Wing!

Ron
    The Schrader valve allows you to make easy minor adjustments or if your compressor craps put allows you to adjust manually ...... I've heard the radio can be completely shut off ..but it's not easy to do , leaving on " 0 " accomplishes the same thing ............... ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

The radio can be put on mute by holding down on the volume for 4sec Great at lights if someone pulls next to you trying to talk. Another method is going into settings & adjusting all sound functions to zero or turn it to headset with none connected. Lil deeper process, the mute stays on till you turn volume up again. It will jump up close to last volume setting if you watch the bar on dash. The valve under seat is suppose to be for a manual fill of passenger air bag if or when pump dies. There is a limit read your manual, or you might blow it out & have no adjustment & more than just an unhappy passenger

Let the FARKLES begin

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

on your new ryde. Previous posters have answered your questions.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-07-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Congratulations! You have it, now dive into that operator's guide and read it -- twice, and/or download it from this site:http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og.

Read the section about how your ACS rear suspension system works. Good luck & safe riding.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

Congrats on finally getting her home and set to ryde...rain not a plus but hey you got to learn to ryde in the rain as well...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default WELCOME

WELCOME to the party Chappie....
    one word of caution, beware of: FARKLES.... they'll get'cha every time.....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Congratulations and Welcome, and... Kudos for taking your first ride in less than Sunny and 60 conditions. Welcome to the wonderful world of Spyders, once you've mastered those differences, the spyder is a great ride. Wish I could go riding but we still have snow covered roads for the past couple weeks..... Cold doesn't matter but slick and sloppy does put a crimp in the riding enjoyment.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Nice ride and welcome to the forum!! You will love both.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Yeah, cold & rain's not so bad if you dress for it but I haven't yet installed a plug for my heated clothes. Downside is it makes a mess of the machine! But I guess for me part of the hobby is hanging out in the shop and cleaning/polishing - perhaps I need a life! We have snow & ice here for a few days a year but at least we can ride most of the time.
    Thanks All.
    Ron

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congrats and welcome.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice looking Spyder!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ron
    Interesting, 20 years on a GW and now the big switch. All of us get a little shaky with age. I ode two up on two wheels from south to north to get to the mountains, it got to be a bit much. I opted to have the Road Smith conversion, not sure that was the right thing, but it's done and we ride. I continue to 'lurk' on the Spyder forum. One big thing that holds me back on the Spyder, I have my GW Road Smith set up for travel with a slide in rack, which works nicely. I do like the Spyder RT S or Ltd, but to get it set up for a road trip, I think that would be a challenge. I'm not a trailer person.

Spyder Garage

I have a couple of questions: What is the relationship between the Schrader valve under the seat and the firm/soft adjustment on the dash?

Ron
    Welcome aboard. One other function of the valve besides filling is to let all the air out of the bladder. If you ever want to change the rear tire yourself, you'll find out why this is important... DAMHIK
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Bill

I was fine riding the Wing by myself but was becoming uncomfortable with my wife on the back. I looked at sidecars, rear wheel trikes like yours, and was really interested in the Prowler "reverse trike" conversion. I would love to have stuck with all the things that make Honda great but sorry, the Prowler is really ugly (and the wife said she wouldn't ride on it). I have been a mechanic all my life and from what I've seen so far of the Spyder it is a beautiful piece of machinery. I was laying on my shop floor letting the oil drain when I commented to my wife "What a beautiful exhaust system" - now that's nerdy!

I'm not a trailer person either and the first thing I did was to remove the hitch (the mechanical part of the hitch comes off in minutes) and have not yet removed the wiring. I assume it's plug & play so it shouldn't be a big deal. The hitch installs in minutes but you would have to have a receiver welded on (to the hitch) for your rack - I don't think a big deal.

I love my Wing but I can't afford to keep both so it was the right choice for us. I can't see any problem getting it ready for a road trip but I'm not you.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Ron
    Last edited by Chappie; 01-08-2018 at 06:24 PM. Reason: left a word out

Spyder Garage

Eviltwin
    Releasing the air from the system - that makes a lot of sense. Thanks
    Ron

Spyder Garage

Welcome aboard, from the right coast to the left Coast. Happy Ryding. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Default You will like it.

You will enjoy having the Spyder. Wishing you myles of smyles
    Ranman42

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your spyder and to the spyder web. Dale

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the wild side and on the ride. May you and the misses have many happy trails.