Spyder Garage

Default Pet health insurance....

Anyone have it on here, or do you go with the roll of the dice?

After our first Yorkie's unfortunate accident (at a doggie daycare) cost us over $6000 for a 6 day stay at the animal hospital, and then had to be put to sleep, we immediately picked up health insurance for our second Yorkie. This past week, between the normal vet bill, and 2 days at the animal hospital it was over $1600. I was careless by not taking what I had finished eating out of her reach. That will never happen again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My insurer offers it...
    But for what it costs: we're taking our chances with TinkerBell.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We have it through Healthy Paws for our Lab. If you buy in when they are a pup, the rates never go up. We are far ahead on the deal and at this point in our dogs life, the monthly drugs are more than my premium so we will be further ahead until the day he passes which we hope is many years from now.

Having done it both ways and the fact that my wife goes to the vet if the dog so much as limps once....well. We will have the insurance from now on. Ours runs $38 a month for 90% coverage and a 100 annual deductible. Healthy Paws is quick to pay claims and its all done online. We have a check within 2 weeks of submitting the receipts.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

George Carlin on Pets!

https://youtu.be/ktp-Zsm25dU
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have a policy on our Goldendoodle. He had to have two new hips after being diagnosed with hip dysplasia while in foster care. Luckily the rescue organization paid for the operations due to some generous benefactors and discounting from the local animal hospitals. If not, each hip would've cost $5K apiece. But he is the best dog ever and we want him to be around for a long time.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Anyone have it on here, or do you go with the roll of the dice?

After our first Yorkie's unfortunate accident (at a doggie daycare) cost us over $6000 for a 6 day stay at the animal hospital, and then had to be put to sleep, we immediately picked up health insurance for our second Yorkie. This past week, between the normal vet bill, and 2 days at the animal hospital it was over $1600. I was careless by not taking what I had finished eating out of her reach. That will never happen again.
    We roll the dice. Two separate ACL surgeries cost over $3000, but then again the two dogs are over 10 years old. So, $150/year/dog and I don't know what insurance would have cost or covered.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Sorry to hear about you losing your Yorkie from a doggie daycare incident. We left our dogs in one of those once and they were so sick afterward we swore never again. So, they go with us everywhere now (whether they like it or not!)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I looked at the policies and it didn’t seem that they would have covered any of the extreme issues that our dogs have had. ACL surgery wasn’t covered nor was cancer so we would not have been covered on our prior pets.

Max, our German Shepherd, has epilepsy and that would likely have been covered. I do use coupons for his prescriptions from GoodRX which really cuts the cost down.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I might add that our dogs are mongrels (part Cairn terrier but who knows what else) and I think they tend to have fewer issues than purebreds, I'm not sure.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, the cost is the killer. Every major incident I am aware of costs multi thousands. Makes for a difficult decision sometimes.

Cannot afford it here, so we are also on the roulette wheel. Both the cats sitting on the desk as I type say Okay.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Unfortunately, the cost is the killer. Every major incident I am aware of costs multi thousands. Makes for a difficult decision sometimes.

Cannot afford it here, so we are also on the roulette wheel. Both the cats sitting on the desk as I type say Okay.
    Then there's that nine lives thing ....
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Then there's that nine lives thing ....
    One is down to 7 that I know of.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most of the pet insurance covered some things and was pretty basic. Anything major you would pay anyway. I passed on the insurance.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    So, they go with us everywhere now (whether they like it or not!)

We have a Malti-Poo and a Toy Poodle. One has been in 17 states and the other in 14 states. They truly are our kids! By the way, ours always like it!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Considered it but we've been rolling dice over 15 years of multiple Whippet ownership. They have been pretty solid, mostly, but a real crash-n-burn at top speeds of 32 mph could be devastating! We've been lucky!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I looked at the policies and it didn’t seem that they would have covered any of the extreme issues that our dogs have had. ACL surgery wasn’t covered nor was cancer so we would not have been covered on our prior pets.

Max, our German Shepherd, has epilepsy and that would likely have been covered. I do use coupons for his prescriptions from GoodRX which really cuts the cost down.
    I know Healthy Paws covers both cancer and joint surgeries. We specifically checked those coverages before taking out the policy as we have dealt with them before. Our current lab has a copper storage disorder and will be on treatment for life. The medical procedures and testing to get us to a stable and manageable state was nearly 10k and HP covered nearly all of it. They continue to cover his couple hundred a month prescriptions and followups. Shotgun is a happy dog and very much a part of our family. Not sure we could have continued with the unknown testing etc if it were not for HP backing us financially. They have been excellent to work with.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I had it for my cat. It paid until the year turned over. Then they would not pay anymore because they 'renew' each year so they considered his illness a 'preexisting condition'. Check if your coverage is the same way.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    I had it for my cat. It paid until the year turned over. Then they would not pay anymore because they 'renew' each year so they considered his illness a 'preexisting condition'. Check if your coverage is the same way.
    Mine is not that way, unless you don't renew on time. To avoid that issue, I'm continuously billed for automatic renewal.