Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    .. people who have nothing to gain from drawing that conclusion, unlike people who have a financial stake in unlimited growth and things the way they are.

I am am so pleased that you claim to stand on much higher ground, because you trust the "people that have nothing to gain". Mr. Gore certainly made no money from the books, speeches, carbon credit bank scam, and the "smarter" minions that he paid after counseling them to adopt and confirm his project I am sure made nothing from it.

Just because you only read and research one side of an issue does not make it fact.

there are plenty of real, respected and trusted researchers out there that have been bunking this "man made" global warming issue. Most of them admit that we did go through some periods of change in recent decades, but there was also during that same period an unusually high activity from the sun at the same time, meanwhile in the more recent decade we seem to be cooling off.

There is so much more, especially on this CO2 issue, but hey, it is a poison to us so we should limit it, but then we claim that we don't have enough trees and it is good for the trees.

Time will tell, but neither me, my kids nor theirs will be here for the demise, either way it goes.

Joe
    It is difficult to respond to your responses without a flame, but here goes:

1) I never claimed to rely on what Al Gore says. I said I was relying on scientists. Al Gore is not a scientist, is he? So, you simply inserted something entirely extraneous into my own post to try to make me look bad. [Snarky comment 1 deleted here].

2. "Plenty of real, respected and trusted researchers that have been debunking this 'man made' global warming issue." Again, you're twisting things. I didn't say that scientists agree that global warming was man-made. What I actually said was that scientists agree that global warming is real. [Snarky comment 2 deleted here]. As I pointed out based on Lew's post -- and as you pointedly ignored -- the cause may be in the solar system itself but the phenomenon is definitely real. While we're on the man-made issue WHICH I DO NOT CLAIM, however, exactly WHO are these so-called respected scientists who disagree that global warming is man made? Because NASA lists 18 scientific associations that agree that it is both real and man-made. See https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/. When NASA and 18 scientific associations agree on the issue, it starts to sound like that's the consensus and the "respected scientists" you are talking about are simply the "outliers" that I mentioned in the first post.

3. "There is so much more, especially on this CO2 issue, but hey, it is a poison to us so we should limit it, but then we claim that we don't have enough trees and it is good for the trees." Whoever said CO2 was a poison? Who claimed we don't have enough trees? I've never heard anyone make either claim. Again, you're inserting stuff into my post that I never said or claimed. [Snarky comment 3 deleted here].

4. "YOUR famous Paris Accords on climate change that was supposed to heavily tax the industrialized world for their sins against Mother Earth and pass it along to the undeveloped nations was another hoax. Of all the countries in the world China was listed as a developing nation and exempt from the "tax". Really, between China and India I am not sure that we can even scratch their performance. If you have not been there and seen it you should not talk about it, the media won't, but their pollution is outright blatant and without concern." Last time I checked, "I" didn't sign the Paris Accords on climate change, so it's not "MINE." As a matter of fact, I would have to agree that criticism of them with regard to China and India is legitimate; however the mere fact that the agreement is flawed merely means it needs fixing. You cannot seriously argue that CO2 is not a greenhouse gas. The degree to which it may or may not contribute to global warming is open to debate, but as I pointed out, contributing more and more CO2 to the atmosphere is the equivalent of fertilizing the weeds in your garden. It can't help and it might hurt. The Paris Accords may be flawed -- ARE flawed -- but like so many things that are well-intentioned, the correct response was to fix what's wrong. Running away from a problem is just chicken and piss-poor leadership.
    Last edited by johnsimion; 01-03-2018 at 05:09 PM.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default "what is going on and why"

Many years ( lets say 70 or so) NOAA and other weather agencies put weather stations near cities BUT unaffected by the pavement and concrete. The cities GREW to encompass the weather stations ( I've seen one in a parking lot) and now MANY are in the " heat Island" as stated above. Will this effect the temperature data?????? I believe so.

Not mentioned in my previous rant about Global Warming------ Ocean currents in both the Pacific and the Atlantic oceans vary on multi decade long cycles just like sun spots. Again the stacking effect of many energies effecting the temperature of the Earth ( both lowering and raising it). The Pacific is greatly effected by the El Nino a La Nina current changes. Right NOW a huge COLD system is headed to the Atlantic. Will it effect the Gulf Stream current as it goes north and them passes Scotland on its way to make weather changes NEXT year???

OH ya------ The "Mounder Minium " -- A very cold period of low temperature just a blink of geological time in the recent past (1645 to 1710 or so). " The year without a summer" and George Washington crossing a Frozen river might have something to do with the stacking of earths' and suns many weather related phenomenon.

Well the flaming will continue and I'll try to find more interesting facts about " Global Warming"

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 01-03-2018 at 05:06 PM. Reason: speeling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
    About that: There was concensus among scientists in the 60's and 70's, when I was in school, that there was an ice age coming. Hasn't happened, now we are going the other way. There was concensus amoung scientists that Neanderthal man was part of the evolutionary chain leading to homo sapien, saw it in all my science books. About 10-15 years ago, they discovered that Neanderthal and homo sapien were contemporaries in the Middle East, Neanderthals died out and homo sapien continued.
    The "ice age" consensus was not real, it was media-driven. See https://skepticalscience.com/ice-age...termediate.htm
    "A survey of peer reviewed scientific papers from 1965 to 1979 show that few papers predicted global cooling (7 in total). Significantly more papers (42 in total) predicted global warming (Peterson 2008). The large majority of climate research in the 1970s predicted the Earth would warm as a consequence of CO2. Rather than 1970s scientists predicting cooling, the opposite is the case."

I also went to school in the 1970s and never once did I hear that Neanderthals were supposedly part of the evolutionary chain. Moreover, I've found a 1992 NY Times article (precisely 15 years ago) that says this about your so-called "consensus": "Scientists have been arguing about Neanderthals since the discovery of a partial skull in a cave in the Neander Valley of Germany in 1856." http://www.nytimes.com/1992/02/04/science/neanderthals-dead-end-or-ancestor.html?pagewanted=all. Arguing about it since 1856. Now that's some consensus you have there!
    Last edited by johnsimion; 01-03-2018 at 05:11 PM.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With all of this talk of Global warming: what oil will you use in your Spyder?

...And let's not forget about tire pressures!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

it's a pity that i like beef since cows are one of the largest producers of green house gas, well them & my wife

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    it's a pity that i like beef since cows are one of the largest producers of green house gas, well them & my wife
    Arrrgggghhh ... how's your marriage doing?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    With all of this talk of Global warming: what oil will you use in your Spyder?

...And let's not forget about tire pressures!
    Thanks for keeping it .

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    -21 yesterday
    last 2 wks below zero every night
    This past week-end it was -24 below in Derby VT . This week-end the wind chill temps -45 below, we need a break from the DEEP FREEZE soon. Tomorrow a snow storm, then back to the deep freeze. Send the bitter cold back to Canada.

Hurry up spring!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

i don'y really give a rats ass about all these scientific explanations

IT'S COLD PERIOD!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    i don'y really give a rats ass about all these scientific explanations

IT'S COLD PERIOD!!
    To dam COLD! Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    Don't forget Bob...

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Paris Accord

There is an old saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". Doing something just to do something without thinking through the consequences is worse than doing nothing. The Paris Accord will do nothing to stop or even slow climate change. All it does is to destroy the economy's of the first world and transfer wealth to the third world. To make a meaningful stride towards slowing the climate change, you'd have to reduce the population of the entire world to dark ages level and eliminate modern technology. Even that wouldn't stop it because most of the causes aren't driven by mankind.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Interesting factoid about mosquitoes...

A mosquito is so nimble in flight that it can fly through a rainstorm dodging every raindrop so perfectly that it reaches its destination bone-dry!

(Hey, it must be true! I read it decades ago in a magazine, not on the Internet.)
    I thought I just say one dodge a snow flake up here on my patio!! He had his helmet on, he was safe it snowing so hard I cant see the mailbox.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CA Railwhale View Post
    There is an old saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". Doing something just to do something without thinking through the consequences is worse than doing nothing. The Paris Accord will do nothing to stop or even slow climate change. All it does is to destroy the economy's of the first world and transfer wealth to the third world. To make a meaningful stride towards slowing the climate change, you'd have to reduce the population of the entire world to dark ages level and eliminate modern technology. Even that wouldn't stop it because most of the causes aren't driven by mankind.
    The planet has been much warmer (many times) than it is now. It has also been much colder (many times) than it is now. Every previous warm/cold event had nothing to do with human population or activity. This is a fact that no one is debating.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
    About that: There was concensus among scientists in the 60's and 70's, when I was in school, that there was an ice age coming.
    I studied natural resources management from 1972 to 1976. I studied temperatures follow cycles and we were going to enter a cooling phase, CO2 was increasing, particulate matter was decreasing (bad for lungs but cools the earth), plant growth increases in response to CO2 thus removing it from the air, we were destroying the ability of plant growth on the earth to act as a buffer, ... I am guessing the consensus was they had no idea what would happen.

btw - Since I planned clearcuts, environmental groups made it clear people like me were bad.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    I studied natural resources management from 1972 to 1976. I studied temperatures follow cycles and we were going to enter a cooling phase, CO2 was increasing, particulate matter was decreasing (bad for lungs but cools the earth), plant growth increases in response to CO2 thus removing it from the air, we were destroying the ability of plant growth on the earth to act as a buffer, ... I am guessing the consensus was they had no idea what would happen. btw - Since I planned clearcuts, environmental groups made it clear people like me were bad.
    That was before personal computers, smart phones and digital cameras, etc. I think science has made some strides since then.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default correct

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The planet has been much warmer (many times) than it is now. It has also been much colder (many times) than it is now. Every previous warm/cold event had nothing to do with human population or activity. This is a fact that no one is debating.
    You are absolutely correct. While mankind has some effect on climate change, nothing we do can control it. We should exert reasonable efforts to not abuse the Earth, limiting pollution and recycling and such, but the alarmists need to wrap their heads around the fact they there is little we can do to affect the climate. One of the big problems the alarmists have is that they view the last hundred years or so as the baseline temp of the planet. It isn't. It also probably isn't the ideal temp for the entire planet since much of the fresh water is tied up in ice caps and glaciers.
    Last edited by CA Railwhale; 01-05-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CA Railwhale View Post
    You are absolutely correct. While mankind has some effect on climate change, nothing we do can control it. We should exert reasonable efforts to not abuse the Earth, limiting pollution and recycling and such, but the alarmists need to wrap their heads around the fact they there is little we can do to affect the climate. One of the big problems the alarmists have is that they view the last hundred years or so as the baseline temp of the planet. It isn't. It also probably isn't the ideal temp for the entire planet since much of the fresh water is tied up in ice caps and glaciers.
    That's fine. Just as long as the taxpayers don't have to bail out all the property owners that find themselves literally under water as the seas rise.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That's fine. Just as long as the taxpayers don't have to bail out all the property owners that find themselves literally under water as the seas rise.
    We bail them out now when a big storm washes their multi-million dollar house off the barrier reef.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    We bail them out now when a big storm washes their multi-million dollar house off the barrier reef.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default agree

I agree with you. If you live in a flood zone, or low-lying coastal zone, it's on you. When I worked for AT&T I repeatedly went to the same beach houses to repair or rerun wiring after their decks, which actually ran out over the breakers, were destroyed by winter storms. In many occasions the seaward wall of the house was caved in. I asked a couple of the homeowners why they lived there and they all said that paying to repair the damage was the cost of a great view.

Spyder Garage

The anecdotal experience in one area in one season is just one data point of many. It's like saying that because you saw a good movie that overall movies are getting better. You just saw one movie. One the other hand, the average temperatures are rising and we do have a large number of extreme weather events.

Even anecdotally, does the overall weather in the country really feel normal? How many floods, fires, and hurricanes have we had on the last year or so?
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Arrrgggghhh ... how's your marriage doing?
    quite well as long as at times i keep distance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    The anecdotal experience in one area in one season is just one data point of many. It's like saying that because you saw a good movie that overall movies are getting better. You just saw one movie. One the other hand, the average temperatures are rising and we do have a large number of extreme weather events.

Even anecdotally, does the overall weather in the country really feel normal? How many floods, fires, and hurricanes have we had on the last year or so?
    What is normal? I think this is a question that needs to be asked more often.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Might it be possible that a lot of these "catastrophic" events happened 50 years ago, but there wasn't immediate 24 hour news coverage on multiples of news stations? Therefore, it wasn't known worldwide as it is now?

Might it be possible that during the last 50 years more humans decided to actually build expensive houses and live in "catastrophe" prone areas?

Might it be possible that "catastrophes" such as forest fires and storms could be a good thing except for the statement above? After all, for thousands of years these were natures way of rejuvenating itself. Why do some of us humans think we know better than nature? Why don't we humans learn to live with nature instead of expecting nature to live around our egotistical desires?

Just askin'...........