Spyder Garage

Default 998 Extended Remote Road Trip Oil Change

OK, a fellow IBA Spyder rider and I are planning an extended road trip to a very remote town in the NWT, it appears to be the furthest northern most paved road destination in the NWT, taking the Inuvik-Tuktoyaktuk Highway to Tuktoyaktuk a small town on the shores of the Beaufort Sea.

From our place in MN, it's 3400 miles up there. That's getting close to Oil Change interval (on our '12 and '13 998 powered Spyders) just getting there, dare we consider just doing a oil drain and refill at the 4500 mile mark, leaving the filters in place until we get back home and then doing a full filter and oil change?

We're just researching right now, we'd like to drive as far north as our Spyders will take us on paved roads, we might do a trip to the end of the pavement on the Dalton Highway in AK, and I'd like to drive to the Northernmost drivable Hudson Bay port that I know of (La Grande, QB area) (Actually the shortest trip for us, closer than Key West Fl).

BTW, This is NOT ICE ROAD roads but just recently finished paved highways, our plan is to try them late June early July before the rainy seasons kick in.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cool Looking trip

Well, sounds like you have the updated oil filters, and thus the updated oil change interval is 4600 miles. So, if you're proficient at changing your own oil and plan to stop and drain, refill, and dispose of the oil yourself someplace - then if it was me, I'd take the filters with me. You're already dragging all the oil with you, anyway. You just need a couple more hand tools and filters. It's just another 30 minutes. I'm not sure I would go for the entire 6800 mile round trip on the same filters. Every so often, we still hear about one collapsing on the 998.

Doing a little search, there is a Ski-Doo / Can Am dealer in Whitehorse (4200 mi return) and one in Fort Nelson (4800 mi return) you could hit on the way back, if you're coming back the same way, and have them do it for you with your parts. Doubt they would have 998 filters. And if you're going to run around up there for many more miles, do a search for Canadian dealers just in case you need one for something.

Sounds like a great expedition. Good Luck.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Default 998 extended oil change

Why don't you use full synthetic before leaving home and take extra and new filters. Change the filter @ 5000 miles and enjoy your trip. Sounds like great fun.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

There are two Spyder dealers that I know of in areas you're going. Both places have worked on my GS.

Bow Cycle
    6501 Bowness Rd. NW
    Calgary, AB
    403-288-5422

If you're going through the Anchorage area, be sure to meet up with AKspyderman. He's a wealth of information.

Team CC Wasilla
    491 S. Willow St.
    Wasilla, AK
    907-357-3200

Be warned, just because they're a Can Am Dealership doesn't mean they work on Spyders. Call ahead and ask.

Another idea is have a vendor mail the oil kits to where you'll be stopping.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    OK, a fellow IBA Spyder rider and I are planning an extended road trip to a very remote town in the NWT, it appears to be the furthest northern most paved road destination in the NWT, taking the Inuvik-Tuktoyaktuk Highway to Tuktoyaktuk a small town on the shores of the Beaufort Sea.

From our place in MN, it's 3400 miles up there. That's getting close to Oil Change interval (on our '12 and '13 998 powered Spyders) just getting there, dare we consider just doing a oil drain and refill at the 4500 mile mark, leaving the filters in place until we get back home and then doing a full filter and oil change?

We're just researching right now, we'd like to drive as far north as our Spyders will take us on paved roads, we might do a trip to the end of the pavement on the Dalton Highway in AK, and I'd like to drive to the Northernmost drivable Hudson Bay port that I know of (La Grande, QB area) (Actually the shortest trip for us, closer than Key West Fl).

BTW, This is NOT ICE ROAD roads but just recently finished paved highways, our plan is to try them late June early July before the rainy seasons kick in.
    I run a blend in my 08 spyder and change oil every 5000 miles.
    David

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 998 oil& filter change

I only change my oil filter every other Oil change ( once a year ) .... and Yes I have the 1330 engine and you don't and there are different criteria ....that being said , if you are using Full Syn oil I wouldn't be worried about doing this ( on a 998 ) occasionally like you are going to be faced .... IMHO the oil it-self is way more important than the filter, the filter won't stop filtering .... The filter is not an oil CLEANING device per-se', it helps remove debris from the system. Just draining the oil is simple changing the filter complicates things X's 4 ......... Mike ...........foot note, a long time ago Consumers Reports did an oil longevity test using NYC Checker taxi's... They put a Full Syn oil in the engine and ran it for 100,000 miles and then stripped it down.... they also did a similar test ( using non-syn. oil ) , same engine, but for only 7,000 mi. .... the results even surprised them .... There wasn't a whole lot of difference between the engines - - go figure .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-28-2017 at 12:32 AM.

Spyder Garage

I seriously doubt your engine will suffer damage even if you don't change oil OR filters until you get home. You'll most likely have to add oil a couple of times anyway. Probably will total out to a quart of new oil. IMHO, if you start a 7000 mile journey with clean oil and filters, you will be absolutely fine for the entire trip.
    Most engines will take a lot more abuse than one would realize.

Let's be real, the manufacturers put those intervals in the manual to protect themselves, not necessarily your motor.

Put your worries aside and enjoy the ride!

Spyder Garage

Your trip sounds epic!

As to your question, you honestly have several options. It just depends on what you're most comfortable with doing. You can easily do the whole trip without an oil and filter change, just adding oil (good quality synthetic) as needed. You can stop along the way and change oil only at a convenient place that will allow oil changes with disposal, either paying someone and supervising, or doing it yourself. Or you can do the above mentioned BRP dealers on your way back with a pre-arranged stop.

At 6800-ish total trip mileage, your oil should be fine because constant running, like distance highway trips are easy on oils. As compared to either stop and go with lots of clutch work or sitting for extended periods of time.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I believe some people ran their 998 spyders to Alaska a few years ago and at least one of them ran Amsoil the whole trip(well over the change interval). They had it analyzed and the oil held up fine.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post

Changing your oil will not be as critical as making sure that you have enough fuel. Some places between gas stations are much farther than your Spyder can go, especially in Quebec. Make sure that you bring a several cans of extra gas for each bike/Spyder.
    Also, remember that at the time of year that you will be going, there is a great chance that it will probably be near the freezing mark up in the James Bay/Hudson Bay area, especially at night. So, make sure you are prepared for this. I know you are from MN and are used to the cold, but it will be close to 80F when you leave and cold weather may be the furthest from your mind.

Spyder Garage

If you use Amsoil you can go at least 5,500 miles and I've done 6,500 miles and the Amsoil still tested well within spec.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I do not like to be the bearer of bad news but I think you better research your trips. I have been up the Dempster Hwy to Inuvik NWT and it was all gravel so I could not believe that it is now paved so I checked on the Yukon travel site travelyukon.com under road trip and it stated UNPAVED. It is the only road up there the Dempster Hwy and is 458 miles long and very desolate and very few gas stops. It took us 2 days each way but a real memorable trip and will try to do it again as they pushed the road through to Tuktoyaktuk this summer, Also the Dalton Hwy in Alaska was not paved last time we were up there with the Group To Alaska Trip in 2015 with Karyl Oules group.As Far a worrying about changing oil, on the Alaska trip I traveled 6936 miles with no oil or filter change and all was good. Used Amsoil and filters from Bajaron. I also riding a 2012 RTL 2 up. I hope you all the best in your travels.
    Also can check with Yukon Travel Line 1-800-661-0494.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R FUN View Post
    the Dalton Hwy in Alaska was not paved last time we were up there with the Group To Alaska Trip in 2015 with Karyl Oules group.As Far a worrying about changing oil, on the Alaska trip I traveled 6936 miles with no oil or filter change and all was good. Used Amsoil and filters from Bajaron. I also riding a 2012 RTL 2 up. I hope you all the best in your travels.
    Roger
    The Dalton Hwy is paved past Coldfoot. You can easily go from Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle and back. It's going north of Coldfoot where the mud / gravel road starts and you'll need to bring extra gas because it's 240 miles between gas stations.

Road to Alaska in 2011 on a '09 GS 998. First oil change in Wasilla, AK, second in Calgary, AB. Used BRP oil and their old school filters.

DGoebel, Looking forward to pictures of your adventure!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the replies/knowledge. Especially those who've rode the roads in the area. Since I'm already running full synthetic and BajaRon's filter kits, many of you have confirmed what I was thinking about. Stretching filter change with at least the usual oil top off, or an oil only change at the northern dealers, which we would be passing back through on our way back down. I'll definitely do a before and after Blackstone Oil report if I decide to "stretch" it.

I had just finished reading an article about the recently finished paved highway road to Tuktoyaktuk, even about someone who did it in the winter in an antique Citroen. I will double check with the Yukon Travel line and was aware that only about 25% of the Dalton is paved, (the lower 25%) if we went that way. That's why I started researching other far north possibilities and found the articles on the just recently paved Inuvik-Tuktoyaktuk Highway. We're fairly certain about keeping to paved roads as much as possible, though will both be adding farkles like the Belt Guard, Bumpskid, Air Ryde Rock Armour, and a Spyder Rack with fuel bladder (like IBA/CMA Rider uses). Or at least spare fuel on a rack or in a trailer.
    I already have a Reda Can that fits in my trunk for my IBA ride emergency reserve.

Thanks for the cold weather reminders, we're contemplating taking the Spyders out for New Year's day here in Southern MN (current projected low of -15F), but it would be a short one or two hour ride, just to test the cold weather gear we have, and to ride on New Years Day! Both spyders sit in a pole barn with Battery Tender Jr's on through the MN winters.

Yazz, Thanks for the heads up about Bow Cycle in Calgary, as we plan on going through there on the way to Banff and Jasper, and we'll come back through Calgary on the way back.
    I will try to coordinate with AKSpyderman if we go that far west, but we're not currently planning on being anywhere south or west of the Whitehorse / Fairbanks line.

Again thanks to all for the knowledge, experience, encouragement, and prayers that we can do at least one of these far north trips this coming (2018) year. We will post pics and logs as some of the NTA 2015 folks did in that thread (that was our inspiration since we got our Spyders after that excursion was already done, ((We're so envious)).

Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

In 2014 my wife and I made a trip on our 2011 RTS from VA to CA, but taking a random route out and a different one back. We covered 6,998 miles. I changed the oil before leaving using Amsoil with a new filter. We made the whole trip without changing either the oil or the filter. During the trip I added only one quart of oil, much less than we had been using. Since then I have not detected any engine or transmission problems but, with the continued use of Amsoil our oil consumption has decreased dramatically. I used the Amsoil only for the ability to extend the oil change period but the reduction in usage is well worth it. I now change the oil at 5.000 mile intervals with no problems. This may sound like sales talk for Amsoil but it is not, it is just my experience.

Alan.

Spyder Garage

Paved does not always mean asphalt.
    From Wikipedia:Route description[edit]

The road begins at the end of the Dempster Highway in Inuvik, Northwest Territories and continues for 138 kilometres (86 mi) north towards Tuktoyaktuk, a coastal community on the Arctic Ocean. The ITH includes eight bridges, and is a two-lane gravel road for its entirety.[12] On 29 April 2017 the Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk ice road closed for the last time. All vehicle traffic between the two communities will be via the new all-weather road.[13]

Ride safe,
    Roger
    2014 ST-L