Spyder Garage

Default After Market Backrest ?

Just wondering if there is anyway to add a backrest to my 2013 RT limited. I am hoping to find what might be a more affordable option if there is one out there, than the dealer.Or first road trip this past fall was not too bad, sort of used the wife as a backrest but the Blue Ridge is next on the bucket list. Thanks guys

Dave

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Value Accessories on the home page should have one.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Your floor boards

Value Accessories sells what I believe are Big Bike Parts brand driver backrests. They offer both a small and large backrest. This link will take you there - Smart Mount Dr Backrest, Can-Am Spyder RT 10+ (Std or Lg Pad)

I chose the small backrest and it's entirely acceptable, but if I were to do it over again I'd opt for the large backrest. The large version is $159.95. And it more closely approximates the size and comfort of the BRP backrest thought this one costs much less.

Installation, by the way, is not difficult at all. Removing the saddle is the most cumbersome part. Spoiler alert - do not lose either of the two shiny metal sleeves the seat hinge bolts pass through. You'll have to order new ones, wait for them to arrive, after which you'll find the one that disappeared. I wonder how I know that?!

The black beauty is mine and has the small Value Accessories backrest. The red beauty is my bride's and has the large BRP backrest (vintage 2012). Hope this may be of some help.

Spyders03s.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Arion; 12-26-2017 at 05:29 PM.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

As mentioned earlier, Utopia is the way to go. You will have to cut a small hole in the seat on the 2013. 2014's came with a plug for the installation of the seat back.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SEAT REMOVAL FOR - NEW BACKREST

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    Value Accessories sells what I believe are Big Bike Parts brand driver backrests. They offer both a small and large backrest. This link will take you there - Smart Mount Dr Backrest, Can-Am Spyder RT 10+ (Std or Lg Pad)

I chose the small backrest and it's entirely acceptable, but if I were to do it over again I'd opt for the large backrest. The large version is $159.95. And it more closely approximates the size and comfort of the BRP backrest thought this one costs much less.

Installation, by the way, is not difficult at all. Removing the saddle is the most cumbersome part. Spoiler alert - do not lose either of the two shiny metal sleeves the seat hinge bolts pass through. You'll have to order new ones, wait for them to arrive, after which you'll find the one that disappeared. I wonder how I know that?!

The black beauty is mine and has the small Value Accessories backrest. The red beauty is my bride's and has the large BRP backrest (vintage 2012). Hope this may be of some help.

Spyders03s.jpg
    ........... Those metal insert sleeves can be taped on , just make a hole in the tape ends ......AND before you take any bolts / nuts etc. off ..... use masking tape for all the BRP -oem Holes that are on the PAN they swallow EVERYTHING dropped near them ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ........... Those metal insert sleeves can be taped on , just make a hole in the tape ends ......AND before you take any bolts / nuts etc. off ..... use masking tape for all the BRP -oem Holes that are on the PAN they swallow EVERYTHING dropped near them ...... Mike
    It's a classic case of live and learn. It's not likely to happen again, but if I suddenly lose all memory of my first effort then it's my bad! That just might happen too - it wouldn't be the first time I've suffered a partzheimer attack.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    As mentioned earlier, Utopia is the way to go. You will have to cut a small hole in the seat on the 2013. 2014's came with a plug for the installation of the seat back.
    Does the hardware seal that cut in the seat from water? I don't intentionally start out in the rain, but never know when I can get caught out in it!
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
    Does the hardware seal that cut in the seat from water? I don't intentionally start out in the rain, but never know when I can get caught out in it!
    I don't think the hardware will effectively seal the slot. The installation on my 2015 RT-S involved removing the stock backrest "plug" covering the slot and replacing it with a soft, self-adhesive oblong decorative piece with slot for the metal brace. Although it fits snugly, I wouldn't expect it to completely prevent water intrusion. Short answer - not likely.

Spyder Garage

Default WATER INTRUSION

Quote Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
    ...I have done a Utopia backrest for all the Spyders if have owned ( 3 )..... and frankly Un-less you submerge the seat .... I wouldn't be concerned about it...... been in the rain many, many times and I never discovered this to be an issue...... the OEM seams leak way more than the backrest slot ever will ............. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...I have done a Utopia backrest for all the Spyders if have owned ( 3 )..... and frankly Un-less you submerge the seat .... I wouldn't be concerned about it...... been in the rain many, many times and I never discovered this to be an issue...... the OEM seams leak way more than the backrest slot ever will ............. Mike
    Couldn't have said it better (except for the many, many times part). The same holds true for the Value Accessories version.

Spyder Garage

Utopia
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RT seat with the Utopia backrest on it if you are interested then all you have to do is remove your seat and put this seat in its place ...not sure if the 2012 RT seat will work on the 2013 although I think it will fit. Both the seat and Utopia backrest in great condition.
    PM if your interested.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Default 12 or 13 RT seat

Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    I have a 2012 RT seat with the Utopia backrest on it if you are interested then all you have to do is remove your seat and put this seat in its place ...not sure if the 2012 RT seat will work on the 2013 although I think it will fit. Both the seat and Utopia backrest in great condition.
    PM if your interested.
    The seat " PAN " changed in 2014 ..... so the 10 thru 13 are the same ............. Mike