Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Who has used a METAL CUTTING circular saw blade ??

As stated above, I have seen them for sale - Diablo - Irwin - Dewalt -etc..... If you have used a blade of this type, please post your experiences ..... Thanks .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I use them a lot. I have never had any luck with those mentioned. I tend to do better with the Evolution. I also use a steel cutting circular saw. A wood cutting saw cuts too fast for a smooth cut.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Spyder Garage

Default Cutting metal

I have used a John Deere metal circular saw and that one works really well. It has a lot of power and cuts really well.They work good for cutting most kinds of metal.You end up with a nice clean cut.
    2013 STS , OEM Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Are you talking about a blade used in a hand-held saw or a blade used in a cutoff saw that runs at a much slower RPM ?
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

I've cut metal with a variety of saws. Really depends on what type of material you are cutting. Bar steel you can use one of the abrasive type blades or something like a bi-metal reciprocating saw blade. Aluminum is soft enough to cut with a toothed blade in a chop saw or bandsaw as long as it has a fairly high tooth count (many small cuts). I don't think the brand is as important as matching the right blade to the material.
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

Do agree with matching the blade and tool to the material to be cut. I do use mostly the fiber blades even though they do go fast depending on the material they are less expensive and work well with clean cuts. I do have one of those dual oposite rotating blade angle grinder that cuts through anything with the added benefit of no kickback but have not used it much. I find I have the best control on the cut with the angle grinder and the fiber baldes.... because they don't last that long Harbor frieght is my source whichever brand they carry at the time.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have used a circular saw blade several times to cut 3/16" sheet. Made cuts up to six feet long with no issues. The blade I use is from Harbor Freight, yes that's right, not a typo. Cost of the blade is about $15.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Do agree with matching the blade and tool to the material to be cut. I do use mostly the fiber blades even though they do go fast depending on the material they are less expensive and work well with clean cuts. I do have one of those dual oposite rotating blade angle grinder that cuts through anything with the added benefit of no kickback but have not used it much. I find I have the best control on the cut with the angle grinder and the fiber baldes.... because they don't last that long Harbor frieght is my source whichever brand they carry at the time.
    Like yourself I use the fiber blades on my cutoff saw. Never have used the metal blades at home. Used some metal ones offshore and they cut better than the fiber ones. Fiber cost less and work good enough for me. Of course I always try and cut cost whenever I can.
    David

Spyder Garage

Default cutting disc / blade

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Like yourself I use the fiber blades on my cutoff saw. Never have used the metal blades at home. Used some metal ones offshore and they cut better than the fiber ones. Fiber cost less and work good enough for me. Of course I always try and cut cost whenever I can.
    David
    .... I have used the 4 1/2" angle grinder type for years with excellent results .... the Diablo brand that HOME Depot sells is only ....1mm thick .... cuts like a hot knife thru butter .... I'm looking at a few options in this area also ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wish I knew what you guys are calling fiber blades, but we've cut a lot of steel siding in the form of ribbed sheets for building all of our barns. The blades we use in our hand circular saws are simply called "metal cut-off blades" by Ace. They're a black abrasive material (fiber?) which makes a clean cut and wears down after just a few sheets.

We always place two 2x4s or 2x6s on the ground a few inches apart, one on each side of the intended cut, to support the steel as we crawl along on top of the sheet while cutting.

In a pinch, we've used regular, toothed, steel blades attached backwards to our hand circular saw. It cuts okay but makes a lot of noise.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

Default ABRASIVE DISC'S

Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    I wish I knew what you guys are calling fiber blades, but we've cut a lot of steel siding in the form of ribbed sheets for building all of our barns. The blades we use in our hand circular saws are simply called "metal cut-off blades" by Ace. They're a black abrasive material (fiber?) which makes a clean cut and wears down after just a few sheets.

We always place two 2x4s or 2x6s on the ground a few inches apart, one on each side of the intended cut, to support the steel as we crawl along on top of the sheet while cutting.

In a pinch, we've used regular, toothed, steel blades attached backwards to our hand circular saw. It cuts okay but makes a lot of noise.
    .... RG we are on the same page with this, as I said above I have used them in the 4 1/2" size but not 10" .... I just discovered they make them this large ( and much larger )...... I don't see how your application could wear down the disc that fast ..... I have used mine on 1/2" thick stuff and it takes awhile to cut that but the wear wasn't bad at all ...... Thanks , Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... RG we are on the same page with this, as I said above I have used them in the 4 1/2" size but not 10" .... I just discovered they make them this large ( and much larger )...... I don't see how your application could wear down the disc that fast ..... I have used mine on 1/2" thick stuff and it takes awhile to cut that but the wear wasn't bad at all ...... Thanks , Mike
    What I like about HF stuff is it's cheap enough to experiment with. Hate to end a sentence with a preposition... hope you will forgive me...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We use 7". I didn't know about the 10" either, although my husband might, but we've never used one that big. I dunno why our blades don't last particularly long. Maybe the Ace brand, maybe the big ribs every few inches, or maybe our 16 pound Michigan moles are chomping on them when we're not looking.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    What I like about HF stuff is it's cheap enough to experiment with. Hate to end a sentence with a preposition... hope you will forgive me...
    That would be, "... it's cheap enough with which to experiment." You're forgiven.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HF Tools

I USE HF Tools for all of my small projects. Always a Good Value for the Money. BIG Jobs sometimes Require the REAL TOOLS. Little Blue
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default ABRASIVE DISC

We use 7". I didn't know about the 10" either, although my husband might, but we've never used one that big. I dunno why our blades don't last particularly long. Maybe the Ace brand, maybe the big ribs every few inches, or maybe our 16 pound Michigan moles are chomping on them when we're not looking.
    " big ribs every few inches " ......Maybe we are NOT talking about the same product .... I haven't used or seen this type ................ Mike

Spyder Garage

" big ribs every few inches " ......Maybe we are NOT talking about the same product .... I haven't used or seen this type ................ Mike
    I use the 10" one on my cut off saw and I think 7 1/4 on my skill saw. The bigger one seems to last a lot longer than the smaller one.
    David

Spyder Garage

Default 10 inch size

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    I use the 10" one on my cut off saw and I think 7 1/4 on my skill saw. The bigger one seems to last a lot longer than the smaller one.
    David
    Dave I will need the 10 inch size, what brand did you use, annnnnnnnnnnnnnd how thick is it ...... I want as THIN a disc as possible .....Thanks .... Mike

Spyder Garage

just make damned sure you wear safety glasses

Spyder Garage

Dave I will need the 10 inch size, what brand did you use, annnnnnnnnnnnnnd how thick is it ...... I want as THIN a disc as possible .....Thanks .... Mike
    Will let you know when I get back to the house. I know it is a thin one.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post

Just a reminder, there are no English scholars on this forum.

Spyder Garage

Here is the one I use. Dewalt 10x7/64x5/8 blade. Of course you may need a bigger arbor size. You can get them in a 14" also.

David

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's it! This is what our ACE discs look like. Is this what you guys are calling fiber?

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

Spyder Garage

That's it! This is what our ACE discs look like. Is this what you guys are calling fiber?
    Yep. It works very well.
    David

Spyder Garage

Default 10 inch abrasive disc

When you orig. said it had RIBS , you were talking about the WEAVE Lines, I thought you meant RIBS - like what corrugated roofing looks like. ...the " wavy " looking stuff ............... Mike