Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Winter/cold weather riding

Winter/cold weather riding

Hi All Bikers (2 and 3 wheel)

As I sit here on Christmas Morning 2017, North of Boston on the NH border and watch the snow softly fall, I realize that I will not be riding today!!! But soon it will stop, the roads will be plowed, and a couple of days of sun will dry them out. Then I will be “on the road” again. But few bikes or trikes will follow. I often wonder why that is.

The two common answers are “it’s too cold”, and “don’t want to get the bike all messed up”. While I ponder those answers I would like to comment on my cold weather riding and get opinions from others.

I purchased my 2013 St Limited in April 2016. I road for over 16,000 miles last year and about 17,000 this year. Now single, riding “Trixy” is my major recreational activity. I see no reason to stop. If “cold” was the problem there would be no snowmobiles or skiers. Once the roads are cleared of snow, sand and salt it’s safe to ride. Certainly for three-wheelers. I never road my VStar after the first snow.

The coldest day so far that I have ventured out was last week at 28*F with a brisk wind. I was comfortable all day. About 5 hours. The roads were dry and the sun was out. Ice in a parking lot showed that Spider drive wheel traction can be fun.

I have no electric warming clothing. I use LLBean Snow pants with DuoFold long johns, Riding Jacket with liner, Thermal undershirt and wool sweater. Riding boots and wool socks. LLBean Gortex gloves finish the protection. I use an open helmet with a face shield and winter liner.

A couple of the reasons I like to ride in winter are: the smell of wood stoves heating homes along the back roads and being able to see into the woods along the roads. With no vegetation on the trees and brush, the unobstructed view displays brooks, lakes, barns and pastures along with wild life. Most are not visible once the leaves come out.

If a few wet spots on the road make “Trixy” less than pristine, $3.00 and 10 minuets at the local car wash makes her shine. I like to think that CanAm, who makes snowmobiles, uses materials in the Spiders that can withstand winter use.

Your comments will be appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's the salt that stops me (Spyder). Get our cold weather riding on our sleds. Enjoy & Happy Holidays !!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That’s great that you don’t let a little cold weather slow you down! I wear a heated jacket and I’ve added heated gloves to my wardrobe, as the F3T doesn’t have heated grips.

I can imagine how nice the smell of wood stoves must be, we don’t have many good smells in Las Vegas.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am sorry but my candy ass is not riding is this weather . We are like high of 20 deg with wind chill of 1 deg.

Heated gear does work well but never tried it in this temps.

And I am not getting my all salty

My younger days I ventured out as low as 30 but that was pushing it.

Spyder Garage

No riding today, Temp now is minus 30C [-22 F] below and 44C [-47 F] below wind chill. Not enough snow for snowmobiling but we still walk 3 miles a day outside. Real invigorating. Have a Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Year.
    ROGER
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R FUN View Post
    No riding today, Temp now is minus 30C [-22 F] below and 44C [-47 F] below wind chill. Not enough snow for snowmobiling but we still walk 3 miles a day outside. Real invigorating. Have a Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Year.
    ROGER
    You are amazing! I imagine you have to walk fast so you don’t freeze in one spot.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    It's the salt that stops me (Spyder). Enjoy & Happy Holidays !!
    Yup!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default burrrrrr rabit

Not enough snow for snowmobiling but we still walk 3 miles a day outside. Real invigorating. Have a Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Year. wow you guys up there

Spyder Garage

Default i usually try to get out

almost a dare on new years day , what ever temperature is , last year I think it was 32 degrees , probably the same here this year will have to try a run for the gust-o , I would have to say a lot has to do with the bones in the body , man a cold , wet, cool weather ride will kill a lot of folks !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R FUN View Post
    ROGER
    Minus 30c .......NOOOOOOOOOO.......surely there is no such temperature, Roger

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default RIDING IN COLD WEATHER

I rode this afternoon for almost an hour and a half. Just under 70 miles of smiles in 31 degree weather. I was dressed for it with long underwear, heavy sweatshirt, lined jacket and pants. And heated glove liners under my winter gloves. Very refreshing!! I have ridden as low as 20 degrees F.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Default cold

Not very nice for a ride here either -16 c -4f with 40cm - 16inches of snow falling as I type.

2015 RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also walk 3 miles every day. My livestock chores take priority as soon as I'm out of bed, and then I briskly walk 4 laps around our hayfield, the perimeter of which I keep mowed like a lawn and snowblown. I have my ATV and horses to satisfy my need to straddle something powerful in rotten weather. Even if I had a burning desire to ryde Spyke in the Winter, our dirt roads (which I live on and can't avoid) are a mangled mess, and our paved roads are populated with cellphone-thumbing fools who present the biggest threat in icy conditions.

So that's why I don't ryde in the Winter. Oh, who am I kidding .... the older I get, the more candy-assed I am. I HATE being cold!
    Last edited by ruralgirl; 12-25-2017 at 04:53 PM.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

Default winter cold weather riding

When I get bundled up and my heated jacket on I can be comfortable to ~30 degrees, I do however have trouble keeping my hands warm. Will try some glove liners as have done the heated gloves and my fingers are still cold. Plus once it snows I can't get in and out of my driveway with the spyder.

Al
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I ride year around here in So. Oregon. It has been cool (28-35) but with a good jacket gloves, full face modular helmet and heated grips, I'm warm enough. We don't salt roads here, so that is not a problem. If it looks like ice, I don't ride but other than that I feel pretty secure. My buddies on two wheels are certainly no where to be found, even in the rain. I have a 2013 STL.
    2013 ST L , Black Current

Spyder Garage

You are going to get a mix of opinions for sure. Safety is my main concern these days. When black ice and snow come to the roads--I park it for the duration. Here, October through most of March. Spyders are not meant for riding in the snow--per the manual. Some have done it-- to them.

Cold does not bother me. Back in the 60's I had my first motorcycle. Lived in Duluth, MN. Was out and about in 10 below zero a couple times. No special winter gear in those days. Jeans, a winter weight jacket, and a stocking cap inside the open face Bell helmet. Add a scarf around the neck.

I am a bit smarter now. I will ride down as low as 20 degrees (above) if the opportunity presents itself. Not a fun ride at those temps--more of an endurance ride IMO.

I am still one of the AK diehards. Usually I am out earlier in the riding season than most--I shoot for March--but live on a rural ice covered road--and I have to wait for that final two blocks to melt off before I can find safe pavement. Likewise, I am one of the latest to "park" it. Tradition for HD riders here is to park them on September 30th or so.

Winter layup is inevitable here. Seriously contemplating a move to AR where I am told I can ride pretty much year round. Time will tell.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I rode the F3 in 30 degree wind chill Sunday with Normal Clothes and the Thermal Suit (Ron sells) and wool socks under my Army boots and Beleclava Under the helmet and Warm and Safe Wired Glove liners and was Fine for a Great afternoon BUT were looking at 10 Days below freezing with highes below 20 degrees for several days- Beem me UP SCOTTY?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

This was my first year with my RTL, rode it till the end of Nov, back and forth to work and what not. Got the wife out a few times, had to be over 45 degrees for that! Few mornings were in the 20's, but the ride home was all worth that. Riding in the cold is one thing, and the chance of ice well that's another thing all together. Riding in Maine you never know from town to town what your going to run into. So for me, my spyder is under her cover with the battery tender on low, waiting for spring thaw! My sleds are gassed up, waxed and heading north for the winter this week!!To all of you guy's that are in the warmer states that can get out there, have fun, be safe. and take a twisty for me!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default winter/cold weather riding

i ride all year round as long as the roads are clear, temp not a factor have ridden in 15 deg. weather, heated liner and gloves with ski pants over my jeans, i did block off the radiator heat outlet on the right side to keep the heat in the Tupperware, keeps the right foot toasty warm left luke warm and the inside of the thighs warm, and the larger wind screen helps a lot. I'm warmer on my then in my truck when i leave the garage, truck takes awhile to warm up.
    Improvise, Adapt, Overcome, Semper Fi
    2020 RT
    Limited heated seats
    removable back rest & rack
    XK Glow light
    Paint with light painted panels
    (Gone but not forgotten ) 2009 RS SE5
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I ryde year round as well! Of course I live in California!!!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    It's the salt that stops me (Spyder). Get our cold weather riding on our sleds. Enjoy & Happy Holidays !!
    the salt, brine, that they put on the roads. I put my spyder into hibernation (in Oct.) then I go right into the riding the sleds, and back into the spyder riding season, so we( vtrider, & I) we don't get a brake.

Happy Holidays!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How cold; is cold?

At 50 Degrees: Californians reach for their sweaters
    At 40 Degrees: Floridians start looking to move South.
    At 30 Degrees: British cars don't start
    At 20 Degrees: Arizona real estate starts to seem reasonably priced.
    At 10 Degrees: Canadians go swimming!
    At 0 Degrees: folks in Michigan play football
    At -10 Degrees: Folks in Wisconsin will shovel paths to their lawn furniture, and have a barbecue!
    At -20 Degrees: German cars don't start
    At -30 Degrees: Alaskans will close the bathroom window
    At -40 Degrees: even Venezuela is looking pretty nice!
    At -50 Degrees: Swedish cars don't start
    At -60 Degrees: The term "Three Dog Night" becomes a reality
    At -70 Degrees: Politicians will actually put their hands into their own pockets!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbz View Post
    Winter/cold weather riding

Hi All Bikers (2 and 3 wheel)

As I sit here on Christmas Morning 2017, North of Boston on the NH border and watch the snow softly fall, I realize that I will not be riding today!!! But soon it will stop, the roads will be plowed, and a couple of days of sun will dry them out. Then I will be “on the road” again. But few bikes or trikes will follow. I often wonder why that is.

The two common answers are “it’s too cold”, and “don’t want to get the bike all messed up”. While I ponder those answers I would like to comment on my cold weather riding and get opinions from others.

I purchased my 2013 St Limited in April 2016. I road for over 16,000 miles last year and about 17,000 this year. Now single, riding “Trixy” is my major recreational activity. I see no reason to stop. If “cold” was the problem there would be no snowmobiles or skiers. Once the roads are cleared of snow, sand and salt it’s safe to ride. Certainly for three-wheelers. I never road my VStar after the first snow.

The coldest day so far that I have ventured out was last week at 28*F with a brisk wind. I was comfortable all day. About 5 hours. The roads were dry and the sun was out. Ice in a parking lot showed that Spider drive wheel traction can be fun.

I have no electric warming clothing. I use LLBean Snow pants with DuoFold long johns, Riding Jacket with liner, Thermal undershirt and wool sweater. Riding boots and wool socks. LLBean Gortex gloves finish the protection. I use an open helmet with a face shield and winter liner.

A couple of the reasons I like to ride in winter are: the smell of wood stoves heating homes along the back roads and being able to see into the woods along the roads. With no vegetation on the trees and brush, the unobstructed view displays brooks, lakes, barns and pastures along with wild life. Most are not visible once the leaves come out.

If a few wet spots on the road make “Trixy” less than pristine, $3.00 and 10 minuets at the local car wash makes her shine. I like to think that CanAm, who makes snowmobiles, uses materials in the Spiders that can withstand winter use.

Your comments will be appreciated.
    I have ridden year round here in Utah without heated clothing. I found out that here I have to wash the bike off as soon as I am done or the salt begins to attack the finish. I now do have heated clothing and wonder why I waited so long. I still ride in every month tho not as much in the winter as I used to,and the salt is still terrible, I try to wait a few days after a storm so it gets blown off the road. I still go to the car wash to get rid of the rest.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The two wheelers are parked for a while. But when the side roads are finally clear and the main roads are dry, we'll take advantage of the rare days above 50 degrees and go out on the Spyder.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I have ridden year round here in Utah without heated clothing. I found out that here I have to wash the bike off as soon as I am done or the salt begins to attack the finish. I now do have heated clothing and wonder why I waited so long. I still ride in every month tho not as much in the winter as I used to,and the salt is still terrible, I try to wait a few days after a storm so it gets blown off the road. I still go to the car wash to get rid of the rest.
    I'm in awe of you, bro'. Just like the pioneers...tough as nails.
    2014 RTL Platinum