Thread: Camera Mounting

Spyder Garage

Default Camera Mounting

Pulling the trigger on GoPro5 Black camera tomorrow, can it be mounted on dash for easy access or does the windshield cause distortion?

I saw someone's video with a wooden tripod which put the camera a foot or so above helmet which looked really good not sure how complicated that would be.

Other mounting suggestions, do not think I wish it mounted on my helmet.
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Gopro mount

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post
    Pulling the trigger on GoPro5 Black camera tomorrow, can it be mounted on dash for easy access or does the windshield cause distortion?

I saw someone's video with a wooden tripod which put the camera a foot or so above helmet which looked really good not sure how complicated that would be.

Other mounting suggestions, do not think I wish it mounted on my helmet.
    Hi,

The ram mount from Lamonster and Arkon 25mm Swivel Ball to GoPro HERO Lateral Prong Pattern Adapter for GoPro Mount would be good option. I have these on my 2017 RTL SE6 for mounting Gropro hero 5 black, which work great .

Good luck and happy holidays!

Best,
    Baski

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've shot video both through a windshield and without. I prefer the without version. The clarity through a clean windshield is acceptable, but certain light and weather conditions (rain) cause spurious reflections on windshields.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    I've shot video both through a windshield and without. I prefer the without version. The clarity through a clean windshield is acceptable, but certain light and weather conditions (rain) cause spurious reflections on windshields.
    Can you please provide the link for these videos, if they are available?
    Thanks and I appreciate it.

Spyder Garage

When we bought our 2017 F3L, we were given a Cyclops 360 camera, similar to GoPro, by BRP, as a sales promotion bonus. We faced the same dilemma - where/how to mount? The problem sort of solved itself when we switched from the short, stock windshield to a 'tall boy'. This meant changing the windshield mounting brackets; the 'tall boy' brackets have an open arch. The camera came with 4 or 5 mounting options, one of which was a clamp affair with ram ball meant for use on handle bars; we were able to clamp this to the bracket arch on the right side of the windshield (could work on left side just as well). The camera sits just outside and clear of the windshield; haven't used it yet, but hope to do so shortly. This mounting method seems secure, and within easy reach of pre-installed cables in glove box.
    Last edited by bushrat; 12-23-2017 at 10:25 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

I'd check out Pierre Poliquin's videos on Youtube and at Spydertv.net, pretty sure he still uses GoPro's and has the tall tripod system on an RT that shoots over the drivers head.
    His

Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    I'd check out Pierre Poliquin's videos on Youtube and at Spydertv.net, pretty sure he still uses GoPro's and has the tall tripod system on an RT that shoots over the drivers head.
    His

Yeah, I did and he's digging up some pics for me, I really liked the viewpoint although the ability to remove and stow tripod would be a great plus. Although I's guessing buying tri-pod system would cost as much as the camera itself and that's just not going to happen.
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Still trying to get it right

I have tried various places to mount my GoPro on my 13ST. Behind the windshield results in distortion when the sun hits it. In front requires mounting on the front panel that results in vibration. I find that the helmet mount gives the best view without much vibration and distortion. Also it allows views and recording when stopped without moving the camera.

Spyder Garage

On the verge of buying F4 windshield with the vent in the center and thinking there may be a way to shoot through the vent.
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BriteSpydie View Post
    Can you please provide the link for these videos, if they are available?
    Thanks and I appreciate it.
    Apologies for the poor quality, this was an older video and loss of detail from compression for Facebook
    Notice the lens flare but in addition the reflections off the dashboard and brake fluid reservoir

https://vimeo.com/248725474

vs this one mounted on the Spyder's fender under the mirror. Still a bit of lens flare but no spurious reflections.
    https://vimeo.com/68269331
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I mounted my Garmin Virb on the mirror mount so it sticks out in front of the windshield my ST-L. I had a safety strap attached to the windshield mounts just in case it popped off.

https://youtu.be/W_CMs2X2SYY
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Apologies for the poor quality, this was an older video and loss of detail from compression for Facebook
    Notice the lens flare but in addition the reflections off the dashboard and brake fluid reservoir

https://vimeo.com/248725474

vs this one mounted on the Spyder's fender under the mirror. Still a bit of lens flare but no spurious reflections.
    https://vimeo.com/68269331
    Awesome!

Thanks