Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wifeless rider

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

my wife says she liked my idea about the younger girlfriend

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It just ain't everybody's cup of tea...
    Try the Parking Lot exercise, and see if limited exposure in controlled circumstances helps her to grow accustomed to the feeling.
    Good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trucker1 View Post
    Try to find some other spyder people to ride with. Make sure they and their wives are together. Maybe if she sees them together and she can talk to some of the other riders it might ease her mind some.
    Of course you are welcome to visit our Sacramento Spyder Ryders of America Chapter where you will find lots of couples you and she can ryde with. That might make a difference for her if she makes friends with other passengers. As Ann suggested you can always buy her a Spyder of her own! awe have two and it's expensive but fun! PM me if you want to know more about Sacramento SRA!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by msherwood View Post
    are there any other folks in this site that have the same issue and how did you handle it.
    Thanks in advance
    Yes. But I knew the situation a LONG time ago.

Activities in our house are: Yours, mine and ours.
    The Spyder is one of "mine".

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=youngers;1324815]
    Quote Originally Posted by nslowmotion View Post

I got rid of the wife,,,lol

hahahaha I see , if the photo is your new riding partner , you now went with the " chick magnet " riding buddy !
    That chick magnet in my profile is my wife, LOL

Spyder Garage

Ask her if she would like to try driving it. Some enjoy driving more than riding.
    2014 ST SE5 LT , Black Current

Spyder Garage

Ok folks I bought this beautiful 2013 RTL so my wife and I could go out and see this beautiful country of ours together only to come to the conclusion she will not ride, are there any other folks in this site that have the same issue and how did you handle it.
    Thanks in advance
    My wife will ride short distances with me when there is little or no traffic. When we want to go somewhere distant she sometime follows in the car and sometimes we put the Spyder on a trailer. When we get to our actual riding area then she comes with me.

And of course many times I ride alone but I have been doing that most of my riding life.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    I would be thrilled to still have a wife (alive) either at home or on the pillion.
    I am sorry for your loss. It is a hard thing to lose your companion. My 1st wife has also passed away,in 2007. I was very fortunate to marry again. I met my 2nd wife on the internet and we have now been married 9 years.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Ok folks I bought this beautiful 2013 RTL so my wife and I could go out and see this beautiful country of ours together only to come to the conclusion she will not ride, are there any other folks in this site that have the same issue and how did you handle it.
    Thanks in advance
    My wife wouldn't ride at first; said she would never ever get on the bike. Well, about 3 weeks of me being gone all day changed her mind! When she rode for the first time, I took it easy and after that I can't keep her off. She will love it, just give her some time.
    2016 RTL , Red Pearl

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The predominant view expressed here is that with tact and persuasion the OP's wife will ride. Looking around the local GWRRA chapter I can full well understand that sentiment. Out of 30+ members in the chapter nearly half are wives. That puts me, as a wifeless rider, in a small minority. But don't assume that every wife can be persuaded to become a rider, or co-rider. They can't, or won't. If the OP's wife has the hidden genes to be a rider, and he can ferret them out, great. You guys have offered some very good suggestions to try to dig them out. But don't keep encouraging him to dig for them if they aren't there, even if you are convinced they've got to there somewhere.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

People (including the female variety) are either adventurous or not. My current (4th and final) wife is a backpacker, caver, kayaker, backcountry skiier - you name it. When I met her 12 years ago, she didn't know I was 'between motorcycles'. Then, I came home one day with one and she was aghast. She had never ridden one and forbade her sons from riding them, believing all the nonsense that's out there about the danger (well, maybe not all nonsense). Anyway, she tolerated what I thought would be a solo experience until she discovered from one of the gals in her office that there's a whole social world out there around this sport and that not all 'ryders' fall into the 'biker' category.

In other words, with experienced and responsible riders, there's social acceptance, even pride, in riding and touring particularly. So, not one to be left out, she went with me on a 4-day ride with the local motorcycle club to Jackson, Yellowstone, Targhee and back to Park City and she was HOOKED! She's been riding with me ever since and this year got her own Spyder (the Cognac one). Her family is amazed and impressed, particularly her sons and grandsons, who have yet to take up ryding (but you know it's just a matter of time).

Anyway, if your wife is adventurous AND she feel confident in your ryding skills AND she doesn't want to be left at home, she will come around. It helps if someone in your social circle also rides. Otherwise, spare yourself and your wife a lot of grief - just go on some 3-wheeled adventures solo each year and be grateful your wife is understanding of your passion.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Four?
    They're just like potato chips...

At least you kept going until you got it right!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Four?
    They're just like potato chips...

At least you kept going until you got it right!
    That sounds like a subject for another thread, and I don't mean potato chips.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Herr's Ketchup-flavored...

Spyder Garage

Bob just said what everybody else was thinking. But it sounds like Pete landed on his feet and has someone to share life with. Humans aren't meant to be alone. I am one of the lucky ones and found my saint 44 years ago and she loves to ride as much as I do, so much she went out a bought her own bike.
    Blondes have more fun.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But I bet that she'd tell all of us that she's the lucky one!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    my wife says she liked my idea about the younger girlfriend
    She must know something the younger gal doesn't!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

The stories in this thread remind me of how I got back into motorcycles, at about age 50, after not having ridden since high school. My husband suddenly announced he was buying a Harley. I stated that he was not buying a Harley, that wasn't in our plans. We went back and forth for a few minutes with many repetitions of "I'm getting one. No, you are not." Then, he said, "I'll get you one too." I said, "Okay."

He called his brother and said, "I've solved the motorcycle problem."

I put about 50K miles on my Harley, right up until I bought my Spyder in July, but I rarely rode alone. Most of the miles were on road trips across the US and Canada with my husband. But with my Spyder? I'm commuting to work, and will ride alone or with him at the drop of the hat. Both Harleys are gone now, but he's still on 2 wheels...though I'd love to get him on 3.

I can't really respond to the OP's post, but I have never been a passenger on my husband's motorcycle. I guess I'm the controlling sort. (I normally lead when we ride, too.)

Good luck!
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There are plenty of people who wanted to do the same thing,
    When I want to go for a ride and she don't I kiss her goodby and go.
    Dave

Thanks in advance