Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wifeless rider

Spyder Garage

Default Wifeless rider

Ok folks I bought this beautiful 2013 RTL so my wife and I could go out and see this beautiful country of ours together only to come to the conclusion she will not ride, are there any other folks in this site that have the same issue and how did you handle it.
    Thanks in advance

Spyder Garage

I bought our 13 RTL because my wife did not want to ride on 2 wheels anymore. She got scared for some reason. Have y'all ridden on two-wheels before or is this her first time riding anything?
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

start riding with a young girl friend and see how quickly your wife starts asking to ride with you

Spyder Garage

Default hey guys

ohhhh ! not so much on the spyder , but the 2 wheels she is a bit Leary to ride , the leaning into curves , { she is not in control } ... but if she was to say I am not going to ride any more ! ----------- > time for a part time rider ... { if you want company that is } or switch to a 2 wheeler or a spyder r.s.

Spyder Garage

I saw your other thread, could it be your riding style, i.e. how you take curves....
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Spyder Garage

Default Did you ask her before buying?

My brother in law bought a BEAUTIFUL Harley the year before last. He was planning the same thing; take the wife around the country on the back of the bike. Only thing was, she wasn't in on the planning and had NO intention on getting on the back of a bike.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
    I saw your other thread, could it be your riding style, i.e. how you take curves....
    Absolutely not my style she has not given the spyder a chance I commute to the Bay area and drive defensively, She has never rode before so when she did ride 1 time only it was in the neighborhood doing about 10mph, maybe finding a DOE along th highway is the answer LOL

Spyder Garage

Question: Does riding in the open like that scare her or is she afraid of being hit by a car/truck?
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Spyder Garage

Default arm rest

Quote Originally Posted by msherwood View Post
    Absolutely not my style she has not given the spyder a chance I commute to the Bay area and drive defensively, She has never rode before so when she did ride 1 time only it was in the neighborhood doing about 10mph, maybe finding a DOE along th highway is the answer LOL
    My rtl has a set of arm rest that gives you a fell of sitting in a chair with arms around you! My wife loves it, we tried a new F3 with no arm rests and she said if we ever did one of those arm rest would be the first add on. The couple that had the rtl before me had a set of home made seat belts for the back so when his wife would take a nap she wouldn't fall out! Was the first thing I took off.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

My wife was a lot like yours pretty much refused to ride until I started sending her pictures of all the rides I was going on. Now she rides some as long as we stay under 100 miles.
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
    Question: Does riding in the open like that scare her or is she afraid of being hit by a car/truck?
    I think it is a combination of both. Riding for me is like taking the worst day of your life and supressing that,

Spyder Garage

I do hope she gives it another chance. When I first bought my Spyder, the first destination ride my wife and I took was 15 miles from home and we were nervous. Now a 1 to 2 hour ride in one direction is the norm for us. Like you, we want to see and ride in this beautiful country of ours, but we will not ride for days on end. If we are traveling any distance, we trailer our Spyder and ride it primarily on the back country, secondary or state roads. For my wife and I, we can't wait to ride again(once the snow has gone) and find a new, or old favorite place for lunch followed by a different road home.

With short rides, she may still come to like it. Good Luck!

Lin
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Spyder Garage

Default Corbin seat

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    My rtl has a set of arm rest that gives you a fell of sitting in a chair with arms around you! My wife loves it, we tried a new F3 with no arm rests and she said if we ever did one of those arm rest would be the first add on. The couple that had the rtl before me had a set of home made seat belts for the back so when his wife would take a nap she wouldn't fall out! Was the first thing I took off.
    Mine has the huge Corbin heated seat with arm rests, cup holder the works

Spyder Garage

Just a thought ......let her get on the spyder in a parking lot and show her how it works. Walk beside her and show her how the controls work, talk her through it. Sometimes when a person understands how things work it makes it clearer to them. Or have her take the 3 wheel motorcycle course on a spyder if its available. That way she understands the dynamics. She may end up even wanting her own spyder. You never know!! Cindy

2016 F3-L Special Series Triple Black
    August 25, 2016

2014 ST-Limited
    July 2, 2014

"Just going down that long lonesome highway" and now REALLY loving every minute!!

Spyder Garage

Sounds like she might need to be the rider on her own Spyder? Maybe try the parking lot stuff, but her in control. Maybe have her take the MSF class if she'd be willing. They teach motorcycle riding to novices on very small motorcycles that are not overly intimidating.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Lol. If I even reach for the Spyder Keys, Denise is already on the bike.
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Here's a thought .... do you know any Spyder-owning couples in your area? Could you find a way to invite some of them over, husbands AND wives together, for drinks/snacks over the holidays? Several couples would be ideal. No special reason, just a get-together to become better acquainted. Very subtly, get one of the ladies to start talking about some of the fun trips they have taken. Keep the guys out of the conversation; just let the gals carry the flow. Hopefully, several wives will have great adventures to tell, and your wife will begin to notice these other gals seem to have fun and enjoy riding. Let her convince herself she just might like it, too. She won't feel pressured by you. Better still, if the other wives then ask her to come along on their next outing.

Good luck.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife didn't like riding on the two wheeler so I got her a spyder. She loves to ride now, me on the motorcycle and her on the spyder.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by msherwood View Post
    Ok folks I bought this beautiful 2013 RTL so my wife and I could go out and see this beautiful country of ours together only to come to the conclusion she will not ride, are there any other folks in this site that have the same issue and how did you handle it.
    Thanks in advance
    I hope she can learn to enjoy it, so you both can get out in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    I do hope she gives it another chance. When I first bought my Spyder, the first destination ride my wife and I took was 15 miles from home and we were nervous. Now a 1 to 2 hour ride in one direction is the norm for us. Like you, we want to see and ride in this beautiful country of ours, but we will not ride for days on end. If we are traveling any distance, we trailer our Spyder and ride it primarily on the back country, secondary or state roads. For my wife and I, we can't wait to ride again(once the snow has gone) and find a new, or old favorite place for lunch followed by a different road home.

With short rides, she may still come to like it. Good Luck!

Lin
    For the OP, I'd recommend that you get comfortable on the Spyder first as a solo ryder, and then introduce your better half to it. As a passenger, if the operator is nervous it will certainly not make me feel better.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Communication

1st have you asked the wife why she doesn't want to ride???

2nd do you have headsets or something so you can communicate with her while your riding??? Maybe she is a tad bored on the back (not able to talk to you)???

3rd sometimes I don't want to ride my bike or Spyder just because I want the luxuries that come with a car (air conditioning, or heat...) maybe its the comfort of the car. She might even like the roof just because it might rain.

So I would find out from her why she doesn't like it.

Best of luck to you on this one.

Spyder Garage

After years of riding 2 wheels my husband and I sold our bikes for camping.
    I got the bug again and he didn't.
    I bought my new 2015 ST L in May of 2016. Rode by myself until I found some riding buddies. Male and female.
    Lyle stayed at home and watched me go have fun for 2 riding seasons.
    It eventually changed his mind about riding again, so late last summer bought himself a 2010 RT.
    He's happy to be out again and looking as forward to spring as I am!

So I guess what I'm trying to say is - maybe she'll get jealous of you going out and having fun without her. Then want to ride!!

Pam
    Pam

2020 F3 T

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.
    Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.
    Dr. Seuss

2020 F3 T - Liquid Titanium

Previously owned
    - 2015 ST L
    - 1997 Suzuki Marauder VZ 800
    2015 ST L , Denim - matte

Spyder Garage

Default ride

I got rid of the wife,,,lol

Spyder Garage

My bride of 53 years and I were long distance bicyclists for many years; rode a tandem for over 25 until her severe RA damaged feet could no longer handle the pedaling. Had her blessing (she chose the Cognac color) when I bought the Spyder thinking she'd like to be outdoors having fun, which she loves. We've some local friends who ride together when schedules permit and we routinely start a riding day with breakfast somewhere and then go on sightseeing rides, maybe 100 or so miles. I've gotten her off on one weekend rally but long trips are just not comfortable for her because of the RA. We both accept the way things are and she doesn't mind my long solo jaunts.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default one step at atime

wife was leery about riding on my first bike a gold wing she would not ride on my virago or vstar now wiyh yhe spyder she loves to ride just not to far so long trips with my camper i do solo and yes we have sena s20 on modular helmets she likes not having to yell give the wife a chance dont push it she may come over to the fun side

Spyder Garage

Default The firs time we saw one

We were out on vacation to see some friends and there was one on raffle. The wife and I said YES!!! It took a while and then one day we both said now is the time. My wife loves it just as much as I do. We took our first road trip out this past fall about a 6 hour ride and loved it. Road around the area etc. We try and stay of the interstates as much as possible, may be try the local roads and roads not as busy and that will get her to come around. We have a 2013 RT Limited

Dave