Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wifeless rider

Spyder Garage

Default Mine Too

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    Lol. If I even reach for the Spyder Keys, Denise is already on the bike.
    This past black Friday here in Illinois it was 60 degrees. guess what she was a little perturbed of course she had to go shopping I went for a nice 100 mile ride

Spyder Garage

Default My wife says the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    I do hope she gives it another chance. When I first bought my Spyder, the first destination ride my wife and I took was 15 miles from home and we were nervous. Now a 1 to 2 hour ride in one direction is the norm for us. Like you, we want to see and ride in this beautiful country of ours, but we will not ride for days on end. If we are traveling any distance, we trailer our Spyder and ride it primarily on the back country, secondary or state roads. For my wife and I, we can't wait to ride again(once the snow has gone) and find a new, or old favorite place for lunch followed by a different road home.

With short rides, she may still come to like it. Good Luck!

Lin
    We met a couple at the local dealer who told us that their cross country trips they do nothing but back roads etc. they had mentioned they went to Colorado on the back roads 60 mph tops. Our first trip this past fall was 400 miles both ways all back roads, we loved it. for me personally i could not see buying an RTL to trailer it. Hope I did not offend anyone here who does trailer theirs We have a 2013 RTL with a tag along trailer

Davd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is your wife comfortable as a passenger in your car? Or does she prefer to be the driver? If she needs to be in control she likely will never want to be a passenger on your Spyder. The key will be to convince her she wants one of her own, show her how easy it is to be the driver. Then you can decide who gets the old bike and who gets the new one.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default wifeless rider

And if worst comes to worst, plan you trip and go enjoy yourself. It will either work or not. If you want t o ride and she doesn't let her drive the car an meet you there, or follow along behind you on the same roads. WTH ride and enjoy
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default trailering

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    We met a couple at the local dealer who told us that their cross country trips they do nothing but back roads etc. they had mentioned they went to Colorado on the back roads 60 mph tops. Our first trip this past fall was 400 miles both ways all back roads, we loved it. for me personally i could not see buying an RTL to trailer it. Hope I did not offend anyone here who does trailer theirs We have a 2013 RTL with a tag along trailer

Davd
    My wife loves local rides, but is uncomfortable with more than two hours on the F3 so we trailer it for long distance and use it for exploring near our destination. I wouldn't mind longer rides, but don't want to leave my wife out of the fun. The day will come all to soon when I'll be making those rides by myself, so I'm enjoying her company now. We both prefer back roads to interstates, 40 to 50 on a back road is more enjoyable than 80 to 90 on a freeway.

Spyder Garage

My charming wife wasn't interested in riding on the back of my Spyder either but not for the same reason. She made it plain that she wanted her own Spyder and, surprise of surprises, she now has her own RT Limited.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have your wife read this post and all the answers you received and see if it helps. All but number three. I'd delete that one because you may not live long enough to ever completely heal.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the valuable information I will consider and if it does not work out I guess I will be going to the rally's alone. Riding the spyder helps me relax particularly while playing my music in my helmet. I find riding is more relaxing than anything.
    Thanks again

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Try to find some other spyder people to ride with. Make sure they and their wives are together. Maybe if she sees them together and she can talk to some of the other riders it might ease her mind some.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by msherwood View Post
    Ok folks I bought this beautiful 2013 RTL so my wife and I could go out and see this beautiful country of ours together only to come to the conclusion she will not ride, are there any other folks in this site that have the same issue and how did you handle it.
    Thanks in advance
    I used the "stealth" method to get Linda interested. I was fresh from a divorce in riding season 2011. The ex was a rider and we put three years of high miles riding on before the split. Yes, she had her own, well decked out $6,000 plus in accessories RS, SE5. She took it with her.

Enter Linda. One of her first comments when we started the relationship. "If you think I am going to ride on that THING, then its a deal breaker." Nice start. At the time, I had a 2010 RTS and a Vulcan 900 LT.

I left it at that for the first month or so, during the "getting to know you" period. I made appearances on the Spyder when we met for lunch--since we started meeting in "public" places. It took a couple months, but I finally asked Linda if she would try a two block ride in my neighborhood. I am rural, so no "dangerous" traffic to worry about.

The first ride was done in first gear and no more than 10 mph. I was extra careful at stops and turns. No torque from "g" forces for sure. We started by going around a four block square. We did that about three times. I am close to five miles of twisting road with (15 mph) curves and, once again--pretty much no traffic.

I asked if she would like to "tour" the neighborhood. She said yes. Once again, that first ride was about 10 mph. No speed up, extra easy on the curves (no "g" forces). We did the five miles front to back twice. She got to know the sounds and feel of the bike and realized that it could be good. The third time I did the course at 20 or so. Yes, I made sure the curves were at less than posted so there was no "g" forces. Then the big bravery test.

I asked her if she wanted to go out on the Glenn Hwy--attached to our loop. Two lanes, traffic moving at 65 mph. She said yes. I accelerated carefully up the ramp and made sure I would not get into a pack of traffic. We drove the Glenn for 5 miles at 60. I was extra careful to keep it in "safe" mode. She liked it so much that I had to make the run a couple more times.

That summer (2011), she was my passenger for over 10,000 seat miles. We had some great weekend drives, going all over the area and hitting most of the Roadhouses--for food. The very last month, I asked her if she would like to try driving it. We started back in the neighborhood and then the loop, and then the highway. She put about 50 miles on in the neighborhood and then we tried the highway. I was her passenger--just in case. The first five miles or so were a bit "interesting" but she learned quickly. The 10,000 seat miles did not hurt.

Fast forward to 2012. I figured this would be more fun if us two larger people had our own rides. I bought Linda a brand new 2011 on a Friday. That first weekend we drove 750 miles. Break-in oil change supposed to be at 600 on the 998's. We had to wait an additional week--so I brought it in at 1500 miles or so. Not bad for a little over a week riding for a "newbie."

Yes we are still riding together. She has put 28,000 miles on that 2011 so far. I traded my Vulcan 900 to get her the bike. This year I also bought another Vulcan 900. So for the time being--we have three rides in the garage.

Sorry for the length, but I wanted to give the full story. Hope you folks can re-think the situation a bit.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-24-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On the Spyder, my better half likes to share the controls. Sometimes we switch off being driver and pillion. OTOH we both prefer our own two wheeled bikes, she likes to carve canyons following me on her FZ6R
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ok folks I bought this beautiful 2013 RTL so my wife and I could go out and see this beautiful country of ours together only to come to the conclusion she will not ride, are there any other folks in this site that have the same issue and how did you handle it.
    Thanks in advance
    You need to recognize some women simply do not care for m/c riding, period. Just like I have no interest in sewing and doing crossword puzzles, my wife, in her adult years, has never had an interest in riding a bicycle, horse, snowmobile, m/c, whatever. She has spent a few minutes of my ATV on the home farm! I had a Honda 350 over 30 years ago when she was in the prime of life. No interest. Then I moved up to a Kawasaki 440. No interest. Then I got an 81 Goldwing. No interest. Sold it and 12 years later bought a 2005 Goldwing. No interest, but by then she was suffering from medical issues, including arthritis that made it impossible to wear a helmet. Sold it and bought my first Spyder, 2013 RT. She rode it for a couple of miles with me in the local parade that next summer. Had it for two years then sold it and bought my 2014 RTS. She's never sat on the '14.

It takes a certain set of DNA to like to ride and be active outdoors, and your wife just plain and simple may not have them. Let her do her thing and you do your thing. Just work on some sort of mutual accommodation that will keep you both happy.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I would be thrilled to still have a wife (alive) either at home or on the pillion.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    start riding with a young girl friend and see how quickly your wife starts asking to ride with you

I AGREE!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    I would be thrilled to still have a wife (alive) either at home or on the pillion.
    Thanks for that reality check. Sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

New wife, old Goldwing. Updated the rear suspension to accomidate 2-up riding. Went on 2 rides and found wife looking on Craigs list for her own ride. She bought a Honda ST1300 which she rode for 3 seasons. I then bought her a Goldwing which she reluctantly tried. Found out it was easier to maneuver and liked it a lot better then the 1300. Sold the 1300 and her old Goldwing and I bought the Spyder. She now rides my old Goldwing while I am on 3 wheels. She needs to be in control. (But still follows me) Best wife I ever had.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife had never road a motorcycle when we first got our RT. I gradually had her sit first seat for the reason if something ever happened to me, she could at least get it home. One thing led to another and we decided to get me one. And of course that meant if she was coming, she would be on the RT solo. When we started ryding together I let her lead (always). That gave me a chance to match her speed, gently point out things that she could have done better. A two communication system is essential. Once she started getting used to it she couldn't believe the difference between being 1 up and sitting behind someone. She now has about 18 months on the road, ryding some of the hairiest twisties and mountain roads. She knows how to ryde defensively and situationally aware. I just used the utmost patience with her and she is now fully licensed and loves to ryde.

A parking lot is a good idea. Maybe with your helmets on you can get her comfortable enough so that she is more relaxed. Talking seems to really help.

Spyder Garage

msherwood, I wish your wife an mine could have a chat, My wife Sharon had quit riding with me on two wheels but the first test ride on a Spyder sold her, Last year we had over 8000 miles together, I had another 4000 solo, both mileage records on a cycle for us. The stability and apparent safety of the spyder really clinched it for both of us
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Does your wife have activities which do not include you? How do you feel about those? This is an activity you participate in and enjoy. Learn to do it without guilt or remorse. It is better to be riding solo than not at all, and those are your options!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks in advance
    I have a similar issue. I purchased my 2014 rt for the wife and I to ride together. After 2 1/2 years and over 20k miles, the wife only did 4 long trips and 3 local rides with me. This spring I sold it and bought a f3t. She still doesn't ride. Much, but now I have more fun. When solo, and she can still ride when the urge hits.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=nslowmotion;1324669]

I got rid of the wife,,,lol

hahahaha I see , if the photo is your new riding partner , you now went with the " chick magnet " riding buddy !

Spyder Garage

I'm not a Spyder owner yet but my wife has pretty much given up on riding behind me on my 2015 Indian Chieftain. Since her total knee replacement surgery she cant completely bend that knee enough to easily get on & off while I steady the bike. I am hoping to get a new F3T or F3 Limited so she can just get on & off without me on there in her way. The lower seat height might help as well and besides that I am very much more comfortable with a feet forward riding position. The biggest difference will be not leaning a bike over into turns and dealing with centrifugal forces but in reality it's not any different than driving or riding in a car. I think we'll adjust to it.

Spyder Garage

I'm a wifeless rider also.
    However, riding on the motorcycle is one of the prerequisites for any girlfriends.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

My wife rode behind me in the 70s and then life kind of got in the way and the bikes disappeared and in place of them were a string of pack burros for about 20 years, we had always talked about buying a big Wing and touring when we retired , I went for a weekend ride with my son about 10 years ago and it started a ache for a bike I had suppressed for many years. When I turned 60 I decided to get a big touring bike but my wife had crashed her bicycle about 2 years before that and ended up in the hospital, after that she would not get up behind me. My knees went and then my ankle needed fusing so I was no longer comfortable on two wheels and them " Spyder" things were way too funny looking for me. Her friend had one and had given her a ride and she did not feel like she was going to tip over so she told me one day that if we had one of "Them" she would feel a lot safer. I had tried them out when on a job in California and was leaning on the idea so we went out "just to look" and bought our first 998 RTL .
    After about a year of riding as a passenger she decided it would be a good idea to get her endorsement so if I got sick or hurt when we were touring she could ride it home or what ever she needed to do. So her same girlfriend started taking her out and showed her the ropes and she ended up with her licence for three wheels. A year later I'm on a job site in Wyoming and she took my bike in for a oil change and texted me she got a discount on the oil change and alignment as she had "bought " something. When I asked her what kind of accessory had she bought now she answered "my own bike, as a retirement gift to myself" she put almost 30,000 miles on that one her first year of riding and we have taken many great day rides and trips together, she pulls a dog trailer and I pull a aspen tent trailer and we are having a new chapter in our lives to share with each other.
    We both now have 2015 RTLs
    Keep trying to find a way to get her riding comfortable and she may enjoy it as much as you do.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Default Wife is a non-Rider

Ok folks I bought this beautiful 2013 RTL so my wife and I could go out and see this beautiful country of ours together only to come to the conclusion she will not ride, are there any other folks in this site that have the same issue and how did you handle it. Thanks in advance
    My wife has never wanted to ride on any of my motorcycles, and now not on my Spyder. What we do is that we do travel together; me on the Spyder and my wife in her car. We start at Point A and I advise that I will have to stop at Point B for fuel. I tell her that I will be on the first gas station on the right at Point A. That allows her to go at her own pace, stopping to take photos, etc. Please note that she is a watercolor artist so she's always looking for things that don't necessarily have any interest for me. We meet at Point B, and after I refuel we have a coffee and share each other's "trip". The, it's on to Point C. We do this all day long until we decide to stay over for the night. We have traveled thousands of miles throughout Canada and various spots in the USA. Most pleasurable.
    2014 ST Limited