Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculapius View Post
    I am one of the few around here that is still in the prime of my profession. I graduated from veterinary school 21 years ago and am looking forward to another 20 years or so in practice. I always wanted to be a veterinarian even from some of my earliest childhood memories and it has been pretty good to me. There have been lots of challenges along the way and it ain't all puppies and kittens but I am happy. I don't know if I will ever truly completely retire, they say that old vets never do, they just slow down until they eventually die off.
    My pet thanks you and so do I.

Spyder Garage

After 25 years in the U. S. Air Force, I'm now living - and loving - my dream job, being retired. And, curiously, I seem to be busier than ever. I suppose that's a good thing because it distracts me from remembering just how many years I've logged on this "mature" body. Only one artificial part and a mere two medications thus far and for that I imagine I should be very thankful. Just hope things don't deteriorate too much in the years to come.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I run my own photography business, and that is my passion. That said, it's still work - there is no "dream job" - just one that we are fortunate to have and which gives us some fulfillment and satisfaction.

I'll probably pull back my hours when I get older (perhaps to 40 a week), but I don't see a true retirement in my future, nor would I be able to fill my time without doing my work.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculapius View Post
    I am one of the few around here that is still in the prime of my profession. I graduated from veterinary school 21 years ago and am looking forward to another 20 years or so in practice. I always wanted to be a veterinarian even from some of my earliest childhood memories and it has been pretty good to me. There have been lots of challenges along the way and it ain't all puppies and kittens but I am happy. I don't know if I will ever truly completely retire, they say that old vets never do, they just slow down until they eventually die off.

ACP,

Thank you for being a veterinarian. I think my wife and I have put two or three vet's children through college - GRADUATE SCHOOL!!

Seriously, we appreciate the vet care for our babies. We have always been 'dog people.'

But, we learned something about 5 years ago that has haunted me ever since. We had a beautiful male Papillon named Rocky. We learned the hard way about 'neutering.'

We had taken Rocky to the vet religiously and when he was younger the vet(s) always wanted us to get him neutered. Their position was that it would help reduce the unwanted pet population. BS. Rocky never got out of our sight. No need to 'butcher' him!!

When he was about 10 or 11, he was having some issues with bowl movements. We would take him to the vet and the vet would check him out and could not figure out what was wrong. X-Rays, other tests and NOTHING!!

One day my wife noticed a bulge near his anus on the right side. We immediately too him to the vet. FINALLY, the vet made a correct diagnosis (not a criticism. We just hope the vet can diagnose his patients as well as an MD. But, that is pretty hard to do when the patient can't talk!).

Rocky had a hernia!

We took him to the only Surgical Vet Hospital in Wichita. The head vet said he needed to have the hernia repaired, but he would not do the surgery if we did not have Rocky neutered, too!

WHAT?!?!?!?!

The vet explained that un-neutered male dogs continue to produce testosterone throughout their lives, perhaps even increasing the amounts as they age. This high level of testosterone weakens the abdominal muscles that hold in the intestines, etc. Eventually, those muscles become so weak they will herniate.

OK, I don't know Jack about medicine, vet or otherwise. But, this guy seemed to be much more knowledgeable than our normal vets at the local vet clinic.

So my question: Do you agree with the surgical vet's position?

If you do, PLEASE tell your pet owners when you suggest neutering their male dogs WHY!! It ain't JUST for population control, but to eliminate potential serious health problems in their later years.

We had to euthanize Rocky about two years later - just before his 14th birthday. He continued to go down hill since the surgery. One of the saddest days of my life. It is hard to write this - - -

To this day, I have concerns about the care provided by vets. Probably irrational, but a more complete explanation of the neuter issue would have made a heck of a lot of difference to my wife and I - and especially Rocky. It ain't about 'pet population control.'

I apologize for the rant. Kathy and I just miss Rocky.

Regards,
    Joe T.

Rocky.jpg
    Last edited by Joe T.; 12-23-2017 at 03:13 PM.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

Worked on oilfield exploration,parts manager,sales and even raced snowmobiles on a BRP race team. In 1971 quit everything,got on my motorcycle and headed south through the USA, Mexico, Every country in Central America,got into South America and toured every country there including crossing the Andes Mtns, in the snow,crossed the Amazon jungle then worked my way back to Canada, Had no money but figured I wanted to own a hunting and fishing lodge so went north into the bush and built my own and in 26 years had one of the biggest in Canada including 136 bed camp, 28 boats & motors, 3 airplanes, a line of construction equipment and a taxi and bus buisiness. Sold out in 1996 and went back to traveling full time in an RV. Built a home in 2002 but still travel, made 5 trips to nearly every country in Europe,booked another now to Scotland,Ireland and England. Someday might stop and settle down but only in my 80th year so hopefully got lots of time for that.
    Merry Christmas and all the best to everyone in the New Year
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

With a chemical engineering degree I went to work for a major US chemical company. Like any career I had assignments I liked (being part of the team that replaced “Freon” with new products, doing training) and some I didn’t (government contracts, and auditing our distribution network after a major chemical poisoning of a consumer drug that to my knowledge remains unsolved today). I traveled a lot for 22 years, but my ex-wife and I never had children so I didn’t miss them growing up.

I finally quit after 26 years in the midst of a government contract when the client was upset about our actions and my company went into “who can we blame” mode instead of trying to fix the problem. Now I was 48 years old and suddenly unemployed.

Started a consulting company that wasn’t real successful but I made friends I still have today. Started writing articles to support my business and really enjoyed the challenge of writing a good article, so I eventually dropped the consulting and became a freelance writer. I ended up writing for companies like ACT testing, ehow.com, and wisegeek.com.

I am still copywriting for a wide variety of clients from a dentist to a luxury car dealer. I will be selling web services soon for the company for whom I write. I also recently passed my FAA Part 107 UAV (drone) commercial test so I started a LLC to see if I can make some money doing that.

None of the the work I do now is full time so I have the flexibility at 63 y.o. to try different things, and now being single again the freedom to do it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. This thread is a great idea.
    Last edited by MisterP; 12-23-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R FUN View Post
    Worked on oilfield exploration,parts manager,sales and even raced snowmobiles on a BRP race team. In 1971 quit everything,got on my motorcycle and headed south through the USA, Mexico, Every country in Central America,got into South America and toured every country there including crossing the Andes Mtns, in the snow,crossed the Amazon jungle then worked my way back to Canada, Had no money but figured I wanted to own a hunting and fishing lodge so went north into the bush and built my own and in 26 years had one of the biggest in Canada including 136 bed camp, 28 boats & motors, 3 airplanes, a line of construction equipment and a taxi and bus buisiness. Sold out in 1996 and went back to traveling full time in an RV. Built a home in 2002 but still travel, made 5 trips to nearly every country in Europe,booked another now to Scotland,Ireland and England. Someday might stop and settle down but only in my 80th year so hopefully got lots of time for that.
    Merry Christmas and all the best to everyone in the New Year
    Roger
    Dang, are you adopting anyone?

Spyder Garage

Retired at 60,spent 36 years with the local utility stringing wire,repairing gas lines.Worked many Holidays and storms out in all the weather.No regrets,enjoyed getting the lights back on and keeping people safe.Merry Christmas to everyone and a safe Happy New Year.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Worked as a welder at an open pit coal mine for almost eight years, over 12 years as a machinist for Komatsu America, graduated the apprenticeship for the Boilermakers and worked in gas and coal fired and nuclear power plants. Now I'm working as a machinist again for a major bearing manufacturer. Been a member of the United Auto Workers for almost 2 years, the United Mine Workers for almost eight years and the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers for almost 28 years. We've got land bought in Florida on the gulf coast for when the time comes to build our new house when I retire for good. Now we just have to live long enough!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Been a mechanic all my life. Started at 15 and now 68. I've worked on everything except airplanes. ruined my neck working on boats and got a small pension from the state. Now I do Motorcycle restoration work to put nickles in my travel jar so we can travel on the bike in good weather. It's been fun and I'll keep it up until they throw dirt in my face.

Spyder Garage

Default 4.5 more years for me.

Just turned 60 this past Aug. my financial guy says to hang in there til I hit 65 then we’re all good. In the meantime we’ll just keep riding/Camping as much as possible..!
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Spyder Garage

Default living the dream or suppressing the scream???

Exciting career, started working as a janitor @ 15.5 years of age, finished high school, drafted in to the army in 1969; enlisted in the navy instead, became a corpsman, discovered a fun thing called inhalation therapy ( now called respiratory therapy). Worked two years @ St. Albans in NY, then another two years with the Marines @ LaJune in NC. When enlistment up, came back to civilian life, did manual labor, poured basement walls while waiting to start community college in Ann Arbor, Mi for respiratory therapy. Graduated with an associates and worked in various hospitals before coming to Kalamazoo, Mi. This is where I met my current wife of 39 years and worked as a Registered respiratory therapist; # 3005 in the country. Worked @ Bronson Hospital in Kalamazoo, raised a family of four, went back to school in 1988 for physician assistant, graduated in 1991 and have been in continuous practice in various aspects of medicine now for 26 years. Have spent the last 12 years @ the VA in Battle Creek providing internal medicine services on a locked psychiatric ward. Will suppress the scream until November of 2018 and then will retire @ 68 years of age.

Have my current 2014 RS-M since Feb 2015, retired it for the winter this year with 51500 on the odometer and a little over 1000 hours on the motor. Have been to both coasts, and look forward in 2019 to be able to tour as much as I desire and not have to worry about how long it takes to get to my destination or how long I stay. Will most likely have ~ 80 K on the clock when it goes to bed next winter, then will get it replaced with I'm leaning towards an F3T so I can still pull my time out camper.

Lots of this fine country I have yet to visit; am looking forward to the time I can do so in a relaxed fashion.

Living the dream and suppressing the scream in Kalamazoo, Mi.

Al
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Pretty soon

After 42 years and change in law enforcement, I'm 219 days away from pulling the pin for good. By that time I will have 43 years, 10 days under my belt (not that I'm counting ) and have come to the realization this is a young mans/womens game.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    After 42 years and change in law enforcement, I'm 219 days away from pulling the pin for good. By that time I will have 43 years, 10 days under my belt (not that I'm counting ) and have come to the realization this is a young mans/womens game.

Please stay very safe for those last 219 days so you can enjoy the fruits of your labors.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

I have more 4 more years to work, to reach my "dream job of retirement".

I have been at my current for 18 years to present. Looking forward to "retirement".

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=oldgoat;1324887]I spent all my working life in pharmaceutical research. Started out in the UK as a lab assistant for Roche. Was allowed 1 full day per week off to attend classes to get a BSc. Got paid for that day as well. Took me 5 years as I was not the most diligent student.
    Graduated & got married to the perfect wife in '65. Had met her in those 5yrs of classes. She studied harder & graduated a year before me. We then emigrated to Canada & I studied for a PhD in Alberta.
    Got a job as a Research Scientist in Montreal & worked for Wyeth for 37yrs ending up as a Senior Research Scientist. Retired at 65 back in 2004.

We've been travelling ever since. Two long driving holidays in the SW & NW USA every year. We fly to LV or Denver & rent an SUV for 4 weeks & just drive.

A couple of years after I retired, Pfizer bought Wyeth for $72 billion & proceeded to fire all of Wyeth's scientists!!! Somewhat ironic as the reason they bought us was because of all the very promising drugs coming through our pipeline. Their wonderful pipeline was empty. So they fire our productive ones & keep theirs. Couldn't quite understand that.

I'm 78 now & feeling a bit worse for wear these days. Hope to get another 2 years of riding at least. My bro comes over from the UK every summer for 10 days & we go riding for a week in Canada & the US north east. I on my '08 GS & he on the '04 Honda Shadow Aero VT750 I bought for him to ride. He's coming again this year so keep an eye out for 2 old farts on the loose in VT, NY & ON in July.

I have 2 beautiful daughters & 2 great grand kids. Life couldn't be better. Hope you all have a great Christmas.

ps...I can't help noticing how many veterans we have on this forum. In case if any one wonders how I could live my life without military involvement it was purely fortuitous. I was born in '39 so obviously missed WW2. Not old enough for the Korean war. Canada did not participate in the Vietnam war (to the best of my knowledge) then far too old for the Iraq & Afghanistan wars. I sort of slipped through life without my services being called for. For that I am truly grateful but admire all of you who met the challenge & kept us all safe.[/QUOTE

***We will keep an eye for you and your bro on the roads in VT. in July. Give us a wave if you see us on the roads in VT. I( 2014 RTS-SE6 Cognac/ [ painted dashboard) & my significant other vtrider- Adrien 2016 F3- Special all black). *** Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

***We will keep an eye for you and your bro on the roads in VT. in July. Give us a wave if you see us on the roads in VT. I( 2014 RTS-SE6 Cognac/ [ painted dashboard) & my significant other vtrider- Adrien 2016 F3- Special all black). *** Deanna[/QUOTE]

Our eyes will be wide open as well & a wave will be forthcoming.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Interesting thread... as I look back on my past (70+) jobs I think they were all my dream jobs during that time. Many jobs during high school, worked my way thru some college and they all got me what I wanted...enough to get by without debt. Enlisted in Navy as an Aviation Electrician and after 30 years had advanced to a LT. After the Navy was hired as a Laser Repair/automation Tech...still working because I really enjoy it. Don’t get me wrong, none were perfect jobs yet I enjoyed and learned from all of them. Thru most of this I married a wonderful woman and had 2 great kids. My next perfect job, as many have stated, is retirement. I am currently searching for a touring Spyder to purchase soon so I can prepare it for traveling with wife and grandkids. In the meantime, I’m here lurking and learning.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default job

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    As a fellow LEO , I'm glad you are near this event ..... and I agree this job is/was for the young ....although I don't envy anyone who is still waiting, ...................good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Yes. MISTERP I should consider adopting someone because when I get to 100 or 105 in a few years and decide to retire
    I might need help getting under the Spyder to service it HA HA, Heading out right away for my 3 mile daily walk, only -47 below with wind chill.
    Have a good one.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

After almost 25 years working for the Federal Gov't in Canada, we will be retiring in just over 5 1/2 years. Our retirement cannot come too soon. We are really considering a move to Spain for our retirement years. The housing is cheap and the Costa del Sol weather is perfect year round. It also gives us a jumping off spot to do our dream job...travelling. We would be able to see all of Europe and Asia without all the air travel.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R FUN View Post
    Yes. MISTERP I should consider adopting someone because when I get to 100 or 105 in a few years and decide to retire
    I might need help getting under the Spyder to service it HA HA, Heading out right away for my 3 mile daily walk, only -47 below with wind chill.
    Have a good one.
    Roger
    That's cold enough to cut with a knife. Saw -40 a few times in Northern, MN and got -60 below (one time record) while in Northern WI. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I feel for ya. Will have a cup of hot chocolate and reminisce.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I spent 4 years teaching in a private elementary school. Then ran my portrait wedding photo business for 42 years, retired from that this year. Now I photograph only sports and special events for charities, local newspaper and local college and high school and teach photography classes at the local community college. I am a Iowa Newspaper Association award winning photographer because of these events. During college, part time I had jobs working in the machine room of a paper mill, as a broke hustler, and cleaning cheese wheels for Kraft grated parmesan. Also worked in home construction, plumbers helper, painter, roofer, and electricians helper during high school. Dad was an electrician and uncles were home builders and plumbers, so I worked for them.
    I am enjoying my semi retirement and spend as much time on the Spyder and my Nomad as possible during the summer months. My wife enjoys riding with me on the Spyder.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Digging through and arranging old photos and found this one. I am grateful for my years at KW and never could have retired at 56 without KW and the benefits they provided. However, it was not my dream job and I never was really thrilled with the place. I did motor and generator rewinding for 12 years or so and I loved it. Everyday was different, you never knew what was going show up and usually at quitting time. You had to think, actually use your brain for formulas and logic. Never was a math fan, didn’t take much in school and had to learn trigonometry on my own in the work place. It was a challenge and a blast. I could have done this work forever, but with a growing family I had to follow the money. No regrets, I’m glad I did what I did because life has been good, but I did enjoy this job.

We do what we have to do to provide for our family, right? I'm not sorry for what I did (10 years US Navy, 30 years CPA and small business consultant) but can't say I did any of it out of 'love' for the work.. Glad it's over and can retire (modestly, for the most part) and enjoy the golden years somewhat intact.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Happy Holidays to all, kind of late but better late then never I say. My dream job is retirement, did it at 50 and moved to Thailand. I do miss my Spyder but would not consider getting one here, first they are very rear and would cost about between $65,000 and $95,000.