Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Are you retired from or currently working at your "dream" job?

Digging through and arranging old photos and found this one. I am grateful for my years at KW and never could have retired at 56 without KW and the benefits they provided. However, it was not my dream job and I never was really thrilled with the place. I did motor and generator rewinding for 12 years or so and I loved it. Everyday was different, you never knew what was going show up and usually at quitting time. You had to think, actually use your brain for formulas and logic. Never was a math fan, didn’t take much in school and had to learn trigonometry on my own in the work place. It was a challenge and a blast. I could have done this work forever, but with a growing family I had to follow the money. No regrets, I’m glad I did what I did because life has been good, but I did enjoy this job.

2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

39 years of selling insurance... I still love (actually; it's more of a "strong like"!) coming to work each day.
    But I only have five more years to go, and I'll hit the door running!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    39 years of selling insurance... I still love (actually; it's more of a "strong like"!) coming to work each day.
    But I only have five more years to go, and I'll hit the door running!
    Don't you just roll out of the bed, and you're there? Wait, that must be me that I'm taking about. Except 2 weekends a month, I not only have to roll out of bed but to the hospital. I've been doing that since 2006, and I'm still not sure, if I really like it, or I try to convince myself.
    Last edited by wyliec; 12-22-2017 at 12:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default 20 Years

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Digging through and arranging old photos and found this one. I am grateful for my years at KW and never could have retired at 56 without KW and the benefits they provided. However, it was not my dream job and I never was really thrilled with the place. I did motor and generator rewinding for 12 years or so and I loved it. Everyday was different, you never knew what was going show up and usually at quitting time. You had to think, actually use your brain for formulas and logic. Never was a math fan, didn’t take much in school and had to learn trigonometry on my own in the work place. It was a challenge and a blast. I could have done this work forever, but with a growing family I had to follow the money. No regrets, I’m glad I did what I did because life has been good, but I did enjoy this job.

Twenty years with the Navy from 3/6/1976 to 30/6/1996. And really, not a single regret. Allowed me to retire at 46. Saw more of the world than I'd ever have seen working for Oldsmobile or Fisher Body in Lansing. Even became a Jerusalem Pilgrim on visiting the Holy Lands. Crossed the equator, twice. And I believe I'd have stayed in for 30, had the opportunity been there.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default work & retirement

Growing up My Dream job was to be a police officer, annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd be in the Mounted Division ( horses ) of the NYPD. When I reached the age to join there were about 25,000 men & woman in the Department ..... and only 150 Horse cops .... So in reality my hopes were slim to NONE that I would be riding a horse .... I won't tell how I achieved my goal, it's a very, very long story .... But I did ..... I rode my horse ( actually two different horses ) for almost 8 years, we had lots of adventures. Then I left and moved to Vermont to raise a family ( NYC was not a pleasant place to live during those years, I was armed pretty much 24/7 ) .... I finished my career with another 27 years in the Montpelier Police dept .... I was the first cop to ride a bicycle on duty in Vermont ... Now this small State has about 50 in various city's. ...... I don't think I'm really retired, I'm uber busy with my Spyder/s designing and building various things for it ...... Not everything that has happened in the past 70+ years has been great but overall I have no regrets...... and that's maybe all you can ask for ................. Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight. ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Dream Job?

I still like my job as a construction superintendent, every day has it's challenges . I started in the trades with my dad when I was 10 and have always loved building things, My most gratifying job was building Kidney Dialysis Clinics for 10 years in the 90's as we were making the quality of life better for many people.I'm going to end my career on a High End luxury Apartment complex in Dec. of 2018. I still like my job but it's not as fun as it was. I feel I have more than earned my time for fun in the sun . And I'm looking forward to retirement and spending time in my wood-shop and taking long adventures on our Spyders with my wife who loves to ride as much as I do.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

After 35 years in the financial services industry, I retired as a bank Vice-President at age 57. It was a good, challenging, and lucrative career and I have no regrets. But, my very best dream job was when I was much younger. I had a summer job working at a kids Dude Ranch. I was one of 3 who were in charge of the horses and taking kids riding to include overnight trips into the mountains. On weekends we did a little rodeo riding. That explains why I ache and walk funny now at age 70. That job lasted 3 summers at which time the Marine Corps decided they needed me more than my horse did. I look back at those experiences as some of the happiest times and a great way to grow from adolescence to young adult.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Hi Navy,

Re: Are you retired from or currently working at your "dream" job?

I come from a large family of 'worker bees.' In my family success was getting into a union.

After 4 yrs in the Air Force, working in an office, I knew that I not want to spend the rest of my life on the wrong end of a shovel.

Took 6 1/2 yrs to get a degree in Mech. Engr. & went to work for the federal gov't. I spent 30 yrs in Contract Management and loved it. Retired from the feds in Oct '99; then consulted for 3 yrs.

Now I own a small, 1-man parachute design & manufacturing business. I work about 20 hours a week at it.

My goal is to sell it & completely retire in about 3 yrs or so. *

Life has been very good; with only a few regrets.

Jerry Baumchen

* Anyone looking for a nice retirement job?
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Three actual careers with a little mish-mash and overlap in between.

Retail Leather store for 29 years.

Accounting/Finance for 20 years.

College Accounting Professor for 20 years. I have succeeded in becoming the longest teaching professor at my local college. 17 years and never missed a class there.

This looks like the year I am retiring from the teaching.

It has been a nice run.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilderThomas View Post
    Twenty years with the Navy from 3/6/1976 to 30/6/1996. And really, not a single regret. Allowed me to retire at 46. Saw more of the world than I'd ever have seen working for Oldsmobile or Fisher Body in Lansing. Even became a Jerusalem Pilgrim on visiting the Holy Lands. Crossed the equator, twice. And I believe I'd have stayed in for 30, had the opportunity been there.

Our son has eighteen years in and just put in for four more. His resume' reads much like yours. He has four equator crossings and currently on a sub tender in Guam. He will probably stay until they show him the door or hatch
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Our son has eighteen years in and just put in for four more. His resume' reads much like yours. He has four equator crossings and currently on a sub tender in Guam. He will probably stay until they show him the door or hatch

I was in Guam for 6 months on the sub tender USS Hunley (in 1968). We relieved another sub tender the USS Proteus; but, I think that sub tender has long been decommissioned.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Retired, it is my dream job.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Retired at 55, sold the house the cars and traveled for a year in our RV. Just before retirement I was a telecom project manager at a fiber, bandwidth, services company, and loving the work and the team dynamics. Now my dream job is retirement and having a bit of land and our bikes. Still young enough to do crazy fun things and have the time to do it in. I don't subscribe to the notion of ONE and only ONE dream job; rather, dreams change and evolve and you get enjoyment out of whatever you're interested in doing.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I was an aircraft mechanic and inspector, (A&P, IA), till I fell off an airplane in 1991. Went back into air conditioning till I was unemployed (retired) last March 1.
    Now I cruise around the country in my RV with my wife and see the country. All three of them was my dream jobs, but now I'm in heaven.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    I don't subscribe to the notion of ONE and only ONE dream job; rather, dreams change and evolve and you get enjoyment out of whatever you're interested in doing.
    Thanks for this!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stefan,
    We took your advice, and are making preparations for the future...

The Outlaw is Home 004.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

What a great diverse bunch of people here. I would like to spend time with each getting to know better. Very interesting backgrounds. Good thread.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

20 Years in the USAF. Travelled around the world, two different career fields, from Combat Security Police to Computers Education and Training. Retired after 20 years to my own Computer service company.
    My current commute is out of the kitchen, through the laundry room, garage, and into my shop where if I'm lucky, I get to help one or two customers each day with personal one on one service, training, and education.
    I spend the rest of my time thinking about Riding my spyder, riding my spyder, and Planning rides... on my Spyder. I'm so blessed my grin hurts by the time I go to sleep....
    I'm VERY thankful for all the Great Spyder folks sharing their expertise and experiences, many of which have made farkles on my spyder be just what I wanted.
    Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a Blessed New Year to each and every one of you.
    If you're reading this, this means YOU!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I was in Guam for 6 months on the sub tender USS Hunley (in 1968). We relieved another sub tender the USS Proteus; but, I think that sub tender has long been decommissioned.

USS Emory S. Land

2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I started my dream job on 9/30/17 as that is the date I retired from the paycheck world. So far it's been everything I had hoped it would be

Durring my paycheck years I did everything from cleaning cement from road bricks to spending outer people's money (purchasing agent). There are aspects of every job I had that I liked as well as did not like.

I have been blessed with my wife of 41 years (Happy birthday Kathy - 12/23/--) as well as two children that I could not be more proud of!
    I am in good health and love sharing rides and get togethers with all the good people that I have meet here and on the road, and look forward more of both going forword

Merry Christmas and a great new year to all!!!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I am one of the few around here that is still in the prime of my profession. I graduated from veterinary school 21 years ago and am looking forward to another 20 years or so in practice. I always wanted to be a veterinarian even from some of my earliest childhood memories and it has been pretty good to me. There have been lots of challenges along the way and it ain't all puppies and kittens but I am happy. I don't know if I will ever truly completely retire, they say that old vets never do, they just slow down until they eventually die off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    "the Marine Corps decided they needed me more than my horse did.
    Hey, Canamjhb, were you one of the lucky ones that got drafted into the Marines in the early 70's? I got my Uncle Sam letter to go to Ft. Jackson, SC for my draft physical in Dec. '70. When there, I saw about 6 guys get selected for induction into the Marines that day. You should have seen the look on their faces. We had not even heard about the Marines drafting. Vietnam was hot and heavy then. After my physical, I went back home and signed up for the Air Force. I probably dodged a bullet that day, literally. But I really enjoyed my time in the USAF, which launched me into a 45 year career as an electronics technician. Worked for a few different companies over the years, but was always in the same field of endeavor. I just loved electronics and even made it my hobby as an amateur radio operator.
    Merry Christmas, fellow Spyder Lovers!
    Mark in GA

2014 Cognac Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
    2014 Cognac RT-622 Trailer - SOLD
    2014 RT Limited , Stock Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First of all . . . to all you SLs who were in military service, THANK YOU!!

I had lots of low-paying jobs before I went to college. Then, after finishing my degree I partnered with my brother as a retail liquor dealer. Hated it.
    Went back for a graduate degree and then hired on at AT&T. There I had 3 careers - sales, accounting operations, and then division staff. Then I discover the one job that fit the way I think - logical analyst in a systems development division. Unfortunately, they promoted me to my level of incompetence, so I left.

Now I'm in my real dream job. I get a pension now, so they pay me every month and I don't have to show up anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I started my dream job on 9/30/17 as that is the date I retired from the paycheck world. So far it's been everything I had hoped it would be

Durring my paycheck years I did everything from cleaning cement from road bricks to spending outer people's money (purchasing agent). There are aspects of every job I had that I liked as well as did not like.

I have been blessed with my wife of 41 years (Happy birthday Kathy - 12/23/--) as well as two children that I could not be more proud of!
    I am in good health and love sharing rides and get togethers with all the good people that I have meet here and on the road, and look forward more of both going forword

Merry Christmas and a great new year to all!!!
    Happy Birthday, Kathy!!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

My dream job is cocktail hour

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Stefan,
    We took your advice, and are making preparations for the future...

The Outlaw is Home 004.jpg
    The toy hauler looks good. How big is it 33? Make sure you cool off the bike before putting it in there, I was told by others that they could smell fuel in thew house part. It would probably not be dangerous just uncomfortable. Bob, I'm getting ready to purchase a 2018 RTL.

I should buy it with Amazon Prime, it would be here in 2 days