Spyder Garage

Default Vicksburg - Jackson

Has anyone attended a rally in/near the Jackson-Vicksburg area or made a trip to see the Civil War battle sites? If so, any advice on places/sites to see, other than the battlefields, would be appreciated. My current reading has spurred interest in seeing the area -- perhaps making it a small bucket list event.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Has anyone attended a rally in/near the Jackson-Vicksburg area or made a trip to see the Civil War battle sites? If so, any advice on places/sites to see, other than the battlefields, would be appreciated. My current reading has spurred interest in seeing the area -- perhaps making it a small bucket list event.
    Got a place right out of Vicksburg called the Windsor Ruins. Been used in several movies and also in Lorman there is a place called the Old Country Store serves the best southern fried chicken. Owned by a Mr D, is what we call him, will come out and sing to you while you eat. Real treat. Windsor is located out of Port Gibson which has more churches than any city per population in the United States. I can stand at the Exxon station and easily count 8 churches within 2 blocks. Also another place to eat is called the Tomato Factory on hwy 61 just south of Vicksburg.
    David

Spyder Garage

More bucket list places to see. Thanks.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    JayBros, I am a member of the Southern Cruisers Riding Club, We had a SCRC Mississippi State Rally in Vicksburg. We stayed at a Motel 6 next to the battle field. the motel was fine for the price.

Spyder Garage

Default Mississippi History

JayBros, If you want a nice leisurely pace, spend some time riding on the Natchez Trace. There are some historical sites along the way also. If you want to see some more of the historical architecture while in the area, consider a side trip to Natchez, MS. Enjoy the ride
    Lee & Karen

2022 F3 Limited - Matte Black

F4 Customs Windshield, Lamonster Driver Backrest,
    Lamonster Fog Lights, Wrap My SPYDER Tank Protector,
    Lumina Trailer

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the suggestions. The Natchez Trace has been on my to do list from my long distance bicycling days and it still on it. Am currently working my way through A Savage War that deals rather extensively with the TN and MS battles and it's an area I have not visited. So many miles, so little time!
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Do you like the Blue's? Here's a trip I have made several times. Ride to Memphis and do a Beale St. tour, day and night. Use the free bus to Sun Studios or Graceland. DO NOT go to far off Beale St. without a few guys, all carrying guns. Don't park your bike/trike downtown. Take a cab in. Motel hint: The Airport Best Western has locked fenced in parking and is much cheaper than the places near Beale. Once night falls and the junkies come out the traffic lights and stop signs are only suggestions.

Next, ride down Highway 61 (the blues highway) to Clarksdale, MS. and visit the Delta Blue's Museum. Very cool, Muddy Water's log cabin is inside the museum. Across the street is the Ground Zero Blue's club. This is about the seediest looking place around. Not to worry, it's even worst inside. Have some lunch and listen to some Blue's. It's safe, it's just décor, sort of.

Ride down to Natchez and tour some Plantations, then eat at Fat Mama's Tamales. Ride the Trace heading home. Be sure to walk around the Cypress swamp just north of Jackson, MS. As you cross into NW Alabama there's the Coondog Grave yard not to far away. Off the beaten path and a few miles of gravel road but worth it if you like destinations that no one else has ever seen.

For getting home, highway 64 across southern TN. is light on traffic and very fast. Plus you can tour Jack Daniels too.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Buzzard. That sounds like a fun trip.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S