Spyder Garage

Default Sena 10S OR SENA 20S ..help

Let me start off by venting about Sena do not get me wrong I love our Sena SMH10 that we purchased 5 years ago. My SMH10 was starting to break up on the first part of the sentence and then would clear out so I decided that I need to look into doing a firmware update as I had not done any update since purchasing the set. I looked at videos on how to do it and decided to try, I dont like doing up dates as usually it creates more problems than fixing existing problems. I did the update to my unit and the software told me my SMH10 had been successfully up dated to the latest firmware I had followed the instructions to the letter. It was recommended to do a factory reset to clear out all old pairings which I tried but could not get the red light to come on like the instructions told me would happen, I then tried to power up my unit it would not power up. After numerous attempts I was at a point of not knowing what to do so I called Sena help desk ...so here is the vent ...after 3 days and countless tries of every way possible we could not get the unit to turn on ....so Sena started to blame me for a possible bad download of their firmware manger software which I deleted and re downloaded about 6 times I was then told I had a bad internet connection ...which I do not and the PC I was working had a wired internet connection. I then made a suggestion that I update my wife's SMH10 on the same PC that I had done my unit on and with them on the phone I did exactly what I did to my unit, got a notice firmware was successfully updated did a factory reset it worked turned off the unit powered it back up ALL WORKING
    So now one unit is good the other one will not power up. I was told that Sena will not replace my unit as it is out of the warranty by about 3 years so I asked if I could send it back for a repair I would pay for shipping ....OH NO Sena does not do that that just replace so seeing I have no warranty there is nothing they can do for me even though I explained to them that my unit was working before their firmware update had messed it up they said SORRY NOTHING WE CAN DO.
    So here is my question do I buy another single unit SMH10 or do I upgrade to a 10S or 20S which is the better one from your experience with either 10S or 20S
    Maybe someone on Spyderlovers has a SMH10 that is still working that they do not need due to upgrading please let me know I am prepared to buy it from you...THANKS
    Last edited by spydernatic; 12-20-2017 at 08:45 AM.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Go with the 20S. Recently there was one or two on here for sale. Do a search and find them and PM the owner.

Spyder Garage

Default Something to Try?

I had something similar happen on one of my SMH5 units that wouldn't start after downloading firmware. According to my manual, there are two kinds of resets. One is "return to factory default settings" and you do that (on mine) by holding the phone button for 12 seconds until the LED glows red. That didn't work. I was able to fix it by doing a hard reset using a paper clip in a teeny tiny hole on the unit. Once I did that, it came back on and I re-downloaded the firmware and I've had no trouble since.

Specifically, my manual says: "When the SMH5 is not working properly or is in faulty status for any reason, you may reset by pushing the pin-hole reset button at the back of the headset main unit. Insert a paper clip into the reset pinhole and press the reset button for a second with light pressure. The SMH5 will be switched off after which time, you have to turn the system back on and try again. However, this will not restore the headset to factory default settings."
    Last edited by johnsimion; 12-19-2017 at 07:50 PM.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

20s is fine if you will only be using 2. You and your wife. You try 3 or more and nothing but popcorn noise, losing connection, ECT. We have 3 couples 6 units and all were replaced under warranty and same problems. So if it's just you two there great.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    I had something similar happen on one of my SMH5 units that wouldn't start after downloading firmware. According to my manual, there are two kinds of resets. One is "return to factory default settings" and you do that (on mine) by holding the phone button for 12 seconds until the LED glows red. That didn't work. I was able to fix it by doing a hard reset using a paper clip in a teeny tiny hole on the unit. Once I did that, it came back on and I re-downloaded the firmware and I've had no trouble since.

Specifically, my manual says: "When the SMH5 is not working properly or is in faulty status for any reason, you may reset by pushing the pin-hole reset button at the back of the headset main unit. Insert a paper clip into the reset pinhole and press the reset button for a second with light pressure. The SMH5 will be switched off after which time, you have to turn the system back on and try again. However, this will not restore the headset to factory default settings."
    Just looked at my SMH10 and it has the pinhole on the back of the unit. Worth a try.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post

Yes I tried that more than once even the Sena agent requested while on the phone with me to put a paper clip in the hole and hold it for 8 seconds I also tried a 1 second reset....nothing it will not power up. Thanks for the suggestion sometimes the easiest solutions are overlooked.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

PM Sent.

Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    Let me start off by venting about Sena do not get me wrong I love our Sena SMH10 that we purchased 5 years ago. My SMH10 was starting to break up on the first part of the sentence and then would clear out so I decided that I need to look into doing a firmware update as I had not done any update since purchasing the set. I looked at videos on how to do it and decided to try, I dont like doing up dates as usually it creates more problems than fixing existing problems. I did the update to my unit and the software told me my SMH10 had been successfully up dated to the latest firmware I had followed the instructions to the letter. It was recommended to do a factory reset to clear out all old pairings which I tried but could not get the red light to come on like the instructions told me would happen, I then tried to power up my unit it would not power up. After numerous attempts I was at a point of not knowing what to do so I called Sena help desk ...so here is the vent ...after 3 days and countless tries of every way possible we could not get the unit to turn on ....so Sena started to blame me for a possible bad download of their firmware manger software which I deleted and re downloaded about 6 times I was then told I had a bad internet connection ...which I do not and the PC I was working had a wired internet connection. I then made a suggestion that I update my wife's SMH10 on the same PC that I had done my unit on and with them on the phone I did exactly what I did to my unit, got a notice firmware was successfully updated did a factory reset it worked turned off the unit powered it back up ALL WORKING
    So now one unit is good the other one will not power up. I was told that Sena will not replace my unit as it is out of the warranty by about 3 years so I asked if I could send it back for a repair I would pay for shipping ....OH NO Sena does not do that that just replace so seeing I have no warranty there is nothing they can do for me even though I explained to them that my unit was working before their firmware update had messed it up they said SORRY NOTHING WE CAN DO.
    So here is my question do I buy another single unit SMH10 or do I upgrade to a 10S or 20S which is the better one from your experience with either 10S or 20S
    Maybe someone on Spyderlovers has a SMH10 that is still working that they do not need due to upgrading please let me know I am prepared to buy it from you...THANKS

Spyder Garage

I have two SMH10's sitting here somewhere as I upgraded to the 20s for dual speaker and earbud support on the same mount.

Let me know.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone that replied to this thread I was very lucky to have picked up a brand new Sena 10S dual set at 50% off at a sale at my local dealer who was having a end of year sale, so retail price was $440 and I got them for $220 plus tax due to the savings I made I purchased a Sena Prism tube for $60 also half price. I paid just under $300 for both Sena products I guess I can say this Christmas was good last year.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White