Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default ISCI Hand brake lever install

I am doing this because I WANT it, not because I need it......but this seems to be where most of the ISCI discussion takes place.

When I asked my local CanAm dealer what they would charge me to install one their answer was:
    We don't do that.

Now this is a LARGE dealer with multiple locations.

I hope this is just a misunderstanding but I can believe it because I've been disappointed with those folks every time I've had to deal with them.
    I will post the dealers name after I contact them next week to be sure I have the answer correct.

So.....the question is: How difficult is it to install on an RT ? Any drilling involved or it is all just "bolt on" ??

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On their website it says bolt on no mods.http://www.isciride.com/product/hand-brake-system/
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I am doing this because I WANT it, not because I need it......but this seems to be where most of the ISCI discussion takes place.

When I asked my local CanAm dealer what they would charge me to install one their answer was:
    We don't do that.

Now this is a LARGE dealer with multiple locations.

I hope this is just a misunderstanding but I can believe it because I've been disappointed with those folks every time I've had to deal with them.
    I will post the dealers name after I contact them next week to be sure I have the answer correct.

So.....the question is: How difficult is it to install on an RT ? Any drilling involved or it is all just "bolt on" ??
    The Kits are pre drilled and are just bolt on and well documented.You need to take Plastic off the right side and the slave cylinder and mounting bracket are installed from underneath. The hardest part is bleeding the kit,not the Spyder (there are plenty of threads regarding bleeding the Kit) . It is not part of the Spyder system but in addition to the Spyder Braking System. If you need help call ISCI,they are quite helpful.
    2015 RTS Ltd Spyderpops bumpskid, Dual Isci Hand Brake ,Baker Wind Wings

2016 Polaris Slingshot SL

Spyder Garage

It's not uncommon for a dealer not to install something that modifies an original component just for liability reasons.
    My dealer won't even install foot pegs because in their view it would take your foot away from the brake pedal...

They have pretty good step by step instructions on the web site.
    As long as you're confident removing a mirror and a few panels it's not that big a deal...
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like a lot of things nowadays its all about liability.

Spyder Garage

Default ISCI ST install

Hi. I just finished installing the hand brake mod on my 2013 ST. It isn't particularly difficult. They do come with pretty good instructions with colour pictures which helps. There is no drilling. The design utilizes the existing configurations on the bike. I had some trouble during the bleeding procedure, but quickly resolved.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the responses.

Gee.....you'd think I might have known to look at their web site myself maybe.....just maybe.

I used to enjoy doing things like that but not so much anymore.
    I may check with some other dealers.

Spyder Garage

Default instructions

Oh I should mention... the instructions that came with the product were quite a bit better than the ones they have on-line, well at least for the ST version.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the responses.

Gee.....you'd think I might have known to look at their web site myself maybe.....just maybe.

I used to enjoy doing things like that but not so much anymore.
    I may check with some other dealers.
    You might like to know that the hand brake system does not function quite the same as on a two wheeler. The lever is quite hard to pull and might be too much for a female or someone with less than normal hand strength. The PO of my Syder had installed the ISCI hand brake on my bike and I liked it for two reasons: (1) I prefer a hand brake to a foot brake and (2) my wife was going to be driving the Spyder and I figured it might be helpful for her. Not so. She cannot pull the lever hard enough to get really good braking effect and relies on the foot brake (which I find difficult to use). On any two wheelers I have owned in the past 30 years the hand (front) brake has been very easy to pull and has excellent braking effect.

I am not saying it won't work but it probably will be more difficult to use than you might imagine. You might want to find an owner with the system installed and give it a try before spending the big bucks.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NO ISCI FOR YOU - DEALER

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    It's not uncommon for a dealer not to install something that modifies an original component just for liability reasons.
    My dealer won't even install foot pegs because in their view it would take your foot away from the brake pedal...

They have pretty good step by step instructions on the web site.
    As long as you're confident removing a mirror and a few panels it's not that big a deal...
    ...... Dealers might be violating something with BRP on this one ....and therefore they won't do it .......OR, not like the whole Tire Install thing .......... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    You might like to know that the hand brake system does not function quite the same as on a two wheeler.
    Thanks for the tip.......but the main reason I will be putting one on is:
    50 years of riding has conditioned me to grab that "front" brake first in a panic situation; unconsciously and automatically.
    In addition, at least a couple of things can happen with your foot that would cause you to waste precious seconds getting it ON the pedal properly.

I occasionally have both things happen in routine riding......which really isn't a problem......but if somebody pulls out in front of me I want to maximize my chances of surviving.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tip.......but the main reason I will be putting one on is:
    50 years of riding has conditioned me to grab that "front" brake first in a panic situation; unconsciously and automatically.
    In addition, at least a couple of things can happen with your foot that would cause you to waste precious seconds getting it ON the pedal properly.

I occasionally have both things happen in routine riding......which really isn't a problem......but if somebody pulls out in front of me I want to maximize my chances of surviving.
    Those are EXACTLY the same reasons I wanted the hand brake.