Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Brake Caliper

OK, I am helping a friend change the rear brake pads on his 2014 RT, we have the caliper off the bike and start screwing the piston into the body by turning it clockwise to compress the piston, only the piston just spins it doesn't screw into the body! We turned the piston at least 50 full revolutions so I'm sure something is not right. Any ideas why?

Thanks, Kent
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

Default ???

Quote Originally Posted by remark2013 View Post
    OK, I am helping a friend change the rear brake pads on his 2014 RT, we have the caliper off the bike and start screwing the piston into the body by turning it clockwise to compress the piston, only the piston just spins it doesn't screw into the body! We turned the piston at least 50 full revolutions so I'm sure something is not right. Any ideas why?

Thanks, Kent
    I've completed my rear brake change twice on my 2014 RTL. Clockwise is correct and I apply slight pressure to "push" the piston in while turning it clockwise. I think it only takes a few revolutions at most to get it all the way back. I don't know why yours spins and does not compress. NEVER us a c-clamp to compress the back piston (which I think you know), turning it clockwise should do the trick.....sorry, maybe others can help with a solution! Good luck!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    I've completed my rear brake change twice on my 2014 RTL. Clockwise is correct and I apply slight pressure to "push" the piston in while turning it clockwise. I think it only takes a few revolutions at most to get it all the way back. I don't know why yours spins and does not compress. NEVER us a c-clamp to compress the back piston (which I think you know), turning it clockwise should do the trick.....sorry, maybe others can help with a solution! Good luck!
    Haven't used a c-clamp and used inward pressure when turning the piston. On my bike it worked "easy peasy", this bike, something is amiss and I just do not know what? However thanks fir the suggestions, any and all are very much appreciated.

Kent
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

Are you using a pair of needle nose pliers, using them to insert into the 2 holes on the piston while turning it clockwise?
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PLIERS ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    Are you using a pair of needle nose pliers, using them to insert into the 2 holes on the piston while turning it clockwise?
    I first tried the Pliers ..... ...... Them I bought an ADJUSTABLE Pin Tool that worked great .... If you have an Angle Grinder .. see if the Disc re-moval tool matches up with the indents on the Brake piston ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

A lot of the automotive parts stores sell a tool to turn in the pistons on automobiles. Someone should measue the distance between the pin holes and measure the hole size. When they have there's apart. And post it here.

Spyder Garage

Default Brakes

Hi there. What I did was carefully opened the black rubber surrounding the Piston and sprayed some brake cleaner. Sometimes dirt gets in there and prevents piston to turn. Happened to me and that worked for me. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all the suggestions, but turning the piston isn't the issue, I can turn it all day long, it just doesn't retract into the caliper body? It will be going to the dealer soon and they can deal with it. Guessing something is wrong insde the Caliper.

Kent
    Ride Safe All

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Brake Piston

I was told that this is a two part piston. Usually the end will screw into the piston. But if the threads got damaged this will cause the two part piston to not retract. Sometimes it is human error and or a rust/dirt issue. Try using WD 40 or some type of 'Rust Blaster'. This works sometimes. Good Luck and let everyone know the outcome. Little Blue
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ris View Post
    A lot of the automotive parts stores sell a tool to turn in the pistons on automobiles. Someone should measue the distance between the pin holes and measure the hole size. When they have there's apart. And post it here.
    Harbor freight has the piston tools too.

Spyder Garage

Bike will be going to the dealer, under warranty so they can deal with it. I'll report back with their finding. Thanks all.

Kent
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Bike will be going to the dealer, under warranty so they can deal with it. I'll report back with their finding. Thanks all.

Kent
    I had the exact problem. Trailered it to the dealer today. They had to take the assembly apart and clean it. Cost me over $100 but worth it.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    I had the exact problem. Trailered it to the dealer today. They had to take the assembly apart and clean it. Cost me over $100 but worth it.

Thanks, good to know.
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Yup, a $100 is worth stopping!!!!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I'm resurrecting this thread. Working on another 2014 RT and the same thing, I cannot get the Rear Caliper Piston to Retract. I have done 2 other bikes and no problem. What is the solution? I got to believe there is a fix besides replacing the caliper? Cheap Cycle wants $414.00. Cannot imagine what a dealer would charge?????
    Last edited by remark2013; 07-06-2018 at 02:45 PM.
    Ride Safe All

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm resurrecting this thread. Working on another 2014 RT and the same thing, I cannot get the Rear Caliper Piston to Retract. I have done 2 other bikes and no problem. What is the solution? I got to believe there is a fix besides replacing the caliper? Cheap Cycle wants $414.00. Cannot imagine what a dealer would charge?????
    I've got a 2014 RTL in the shop right now. Dealer wants to replace the rear caliper because they can't get the piston to retract. Very interested to see if there are any good solutions posted here soon.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Seems to be a fairly common issue. Hoping to hear from someone that has figured out a solution.
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Is it possible that the piston has expanded outside the caliper and the threads are no longer catching? Have you tried pressure on the piston while turning it to try and catch the treads.When you took the other Spyder to the shop a year ago what did they tell you was wrong? Or did they just replace the other caliper and call it good?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

pegasus1300, I suppose it has exceeded it,s travel and not catch threads, however as I turn the piston I also apply force to push in on the piston trying to "catch" a thread. the other Spyder, dealer just replaced the caliper and called it good, that person was fortunate, he was able to get it covered by his extended warranty.
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Two thing to try.1 see if you can remove the rubber around the piston enough to see the threads as you try to re engage the threads. 2 if yiu have a good enough relationship with that other dealer ask the mechanic who did the work if was ever able to investigate and learn the real problem. There is a difference between a mechanic and a parts replacer.This could tell you what the real problem is and also what kind of a repairman he is mechanic or parts replacer. Other then that I have no other suggestions.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I do not have a good relationship with the dealer, they do not and are not willing to give out too much info. My other problem with Spyder Dealers, I'm just over a 100 miles away from the nearest one. I'm going to try one more time tomorrow morning using a tip Joe Meyer gave me. I will report back with the results.

kent
    Ride Safe All

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Harbor freight has the piston tools too.
    What is the tool called, do you know?

Also, I saw a thread or post here where someone made their own, but didn't provide dimensions. I probably need to do that because I'd have to make a 90 mile trip to get this tool from Harbor Freight and I'm not going to do that.

Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ris View Post
    Does anyone have those dimensions? I'm probably going to have to make my own. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    What is the tool called, do you know?

Also, I saw a thread or post here where someone made their own, but didn't provide dimensions. I probably need to do that because I'd have to make a 90 mile trip to get this tool from Harbor Freight and I'm not going to do that.

Thanks.

https://www.harborfreight.com/disc-b...-pc-63264.html

Then wait for a super coupon and its even cheaper. Or I use this on my car caliper and worked well.

https://www.harborfreight.com/push-p...ers-63700.html

Or there's another version that is square

https://www.lowes.com/pd/KD-Tools-Automotive-Disc-Brake-Piston-Tool/50190675?cm_mmc=SCE_BINGPLA_ONLY-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-SosHandTools-_-50190675:KD_Tools&CAWELAID=&kpid=50190675&CAGPSPN= pla{ifdyn:dyn}&k_clickID=7fc37dde-74bb-47c4-ac56-63008146388c&msclkid=c0fa117b71911453740d4a3b9b64c efd

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lisle-Di...-207011085-_-N
    Last edited by trikermutha; 07-07-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default brembo brake piston turning tool

Originally Posted by Joerolwing
    I started with two fender washers with. 3/8" hole, glued them together, clamped them in a mandrel mounted in a drill press, and used a angle grInder to reduce the diameter to 1 3/8". I then squared the center hole to 3/8", then drilled and tapped holes for 1/8" 1/4" long screws, each 3/8" from center on the same line drawn through the center. Next, using a 1 1/2" long 1/2" bolt, I filed the end to a 3/8" square, possibly a fraction oversized. I then cut a 1" wide, 1/8" thick angle bracket from Home Depot and cut it in half at the angle. Next, I drilled and tapped it for the 1/2" bolt. Thread the bolt through this plate then press the bolt end into the washers, making certain the two "pins" are pointing opposite the bolt.